Missing Excel Toolbar

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's OFFice2PDF and MS Office Addin Applications - supplied with PDF-XChange.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

caddcop
User

Missing Excel Toolbar

Post by caddcop »

I have the toolbar in Word, but I have no toolbar in Excel. My security settings are set so that macros can run.
Are the tools an add-in or a DLL and where do I need to go to enable the Excel toolbar to create PDF's from Excel?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Missing Excel Toolbar

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI caddcop,

which version of Office/Excel are you using. It's handled differently depending on this.

Also - are you using the latest build of our driver?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
caddcop
User

Post by caddcop »

We only recently (less than 3 weeks) purchased PDF Exchange Pro, so I believe it is the latest. I have 2003 on my PC but the boss has 2007 and we are getting ready to upgrade to 2010, but will be using 2003 for at least some months.
The printer 2012 says Version 5 Build 260
In Work, there is a 2012 toolbar, but no menu item and in the configure dialog, there is no help about or anything to tell me versions on it.
If there is anywhere else to look, let me know.
Thanks
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello caddcop,

If the problem is on the machine with Office 2003 - then please take a look at this KB article:
I have a problem with installing the PDF XChange Office Addin in Ofice 2003
As the missing toolbar is most likely deactivated by the macro/security settings.
If the affected machine is the one with office 2007 - the way to get to the security/trusted center will be a bit different but the way of reactivating the toolbar should be similar.

You said you have build 260 of the drivers - this means that the office add-in will be the same version.
We've released a new build last Thursday so you can download it from here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads

Best,
Stefan
caddcop
User

Post by caddcop »

<Bump>

Anyone able to help with what I need to do to get a toolbar in Excel like the one I have in Word?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Caddcop,

we had a new build come out yesterday. You should uninstall all your PDF-Xchange Software and run the installer for the current build from the website. If this does not get the Add-in to Excel we'll dig a little deeper.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads

We can't patch old versions and all bug fixes are included in the most recent build so we really need you to do this with the current build (263 for the drivers) and tell us the state of the Add-in after doing that please.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
caddcop
User

Post by caddcop »

I removed all Tracker Software and restarted the PC as it asked.
I used your link to download the installer, installed the product - Pro. After it completed, I again restarted the PC.
So, in Word, I have a toolbar - I believe it is coming from a DOT template.
In Excel, I do not see any toolbars. So I tried printing a multi-tab spreadsheet by using the PDF printer. But it asked for the filename for every tab and defaulted to opening the viewer. Since I would want it to append, it meant unchecking one box while checking another for every tab.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi caddcop,

thanks for doing that.
But it asked for the filename for every tab
The reason you are getting asked for file names for each tab is that Excel sends each tab as a separate print job. To get these as a single PDF you can either "use PDFSaver for job management" or "Append Current job to the last active job" in the printer preferences: PDF-XChange Printer --> Printing Preferences --> Save --> Job Management

or

we get your Add-in working for Excel and you set the DPI of each sheet in Excel to be the same. Then the option "Print entire workbook" in the Excel Options in the Add-in will work.

First thing to do is confirm if the PDF-XChange Addin is listed when you right click the Excel Tool bars area. There is a list of available tool bars and PDF-XChange should be at the bottom of this list.

Do you see it listed?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
caddcop
User

Post by caddcop »

No I do not.
We are still in Office 2003, BTW.
I do have a personal.xls workbook as I do a fair amount of Macro Coding. I looked for an xls or an xla file in the product folders but did not see one.
I will not be able to respond again until Moday.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi caddcop,
No I do not.
OK then
We are still in Office 2003, BTW.
Yes that's what I tested using on XP x86
I do have a personal.xls workbook as I do a fair amount of Macro Coding. I looked for an xls or an xla file in the product folders but did not see one.
I'm not sure what this is about. What product folders? There are no Excel files in our product folders...

I'm doing a little investigation into Excel 2003 to see what else can be done to determine what may be happening with the Add-in. I hope to have something for you before you get back Monday.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
caddcop
User

Post by caddcop »

I'm not sure what this is about.
One method of adding toolbars to Excel is to place them in a personal.xls - a hidden file where a user's macros are stored if they are to be shared between many spreadsheets.
What product folders? There are no Excel files in our product folders...
The other method that I know for adding tools and toolbars are with an XLA file and while this is different than a word template and the way the Word Add-in is installed via a word template, I thought there might be an Excel spreadsheet or add-in within the Tracker Software product folders. But you have confirmed that there was no such file to be found as no such file is supplied. And as I mentioned, there is a word DOT file in the product folders, just no such Excel file.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi again caddcop

well one can learn something every day if one keeps one's ears open... I was unaware of this. I've confirmed from the member of our dev team who created our Office Add-In that while this can be done we do not do so in our add-In.

Can you look in the Disabled Items to see if our Add-In is listed?
Help->About Microsoft Office Excel->"Disabled Items..." button
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
caddcop
User

Post by caddcop »

Bingo!
It was in that list. After I enabled it, I had to close and reopen Excel, but when I did, the toolbar was there.
It took us a few tries, but I am now in business!
Thanks.

I guess you need to add that tip in the troubleshooter area.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi caddcop

great to hear!

Indeed I have added it to the Knowledgebase article Stefan pointed you to.
I'm just sorry that I didn't pick that up in the first post!

Enjoy. :-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
duane961
User

Post by duane961 »

You know i had the same problem as "caddcop" and thanks to the reply by "Tracker Supp-Stefan" I am half-way to solving the problem, although i am a little bit confused. I also do macro coding and this is causing me to look for an xla and I also could not see it in the product folders. :(
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello duane961,

We do not use the xla file to make our add-in integrate and work with excel - that's why you can not find it.

Best,
Stefan