Rename open file

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MarshallAbrams
User

Rename open file

Post by MarshallAbrams »

I frequently find myself wanting to rename the file I'm viewing to a more descriptive name. The only way I know is to close the file from the viewer, rename it, and reopen the newly named file in the viewer. Is it possible to rename without leaving the viewer, or could this be added?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Rename open file

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI Marshall,

thanks for the post and question. We have indeed been asked this before. The short answer is that this is a file operation and not really related to the Viewer. When the file is open it is locked by your operating system and it simply cannot be renamed while open.

The best that can be offered is :

Save As - saves a new file, switches the Viewer to the new file and allows the OS to unlock the old
or
Save Copy As - saves a new file with the new name leaving your original open and still locked

I hope that helps
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
PdfSnooper
User

Post by PdfSnooper »

It's funny, because my text editor supports renaming the current file. My

If its just one document, sure you could 'save as' but when i get a ton of scanned files it would only add to the hell by having twice the amount of documents.

I would like to able to open Scan00100.pdf and see what it is and then rename to something sensible. It adds to my burden haveing to close pdf excahnge and then find the file in the directory and rename it (and hope i don't confuse scan0102031.pdf with scan0103201.pdf)
When the file is open it is locked by your operating system and it simply cannot be renamed while open.
Erm, that just sounds a bit silly. Obviously what you do is:

Code: Select all

Close File
Release FileHandle
RenameFile
Open File
(* Pseudo code - real commands depend on language used for the program)

The sad thing is that this is something that would probably take less than an hour to implement, but save me hundreds of hours.

Oh well, perhaps its time to start looking for something and hope for the best.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi PdfSnooper,

I can see what you mean and can even understand why you feel it would be a valuable addition.

After discussion with the development team leader again on this topic our position is that this would cause more problems for more users than it would solve for the few that have requested this.

Having said that I have added it to the feature wish list so stays on the radar should our position on this change in the future.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
PdfSnooper
User

Post by PdfSnooper »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi PdfSnooper,

I can see what you mean and can even understand why you feel it would be a valuable addition.

After discussion with the development team leader again on this topic our position is that this would cause more problems for more users than it would solve for the few that have requested this.
Hm..? A menu item saying "rename file" would confuse? Not sure I see that. But you could put a secret switch in an ini file - I don't need others to know its there, just that I could enable it.
Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Having said that I have added it to the feature wish list so stays on the radar should our position on this change in the future.
I guess if the leader is against it, then its not likely to come, eh?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi PdfSnooper,

I think the concerns is more about issues that can arrise when a file has more than one application with a handle on it. A file open in the Viewer can also be open in a preview handle, and email client etc.S
I guess if the leader is against it, then its not likely to come, eh?
Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that in the current climate, as we work to complete V3, it is not a sufficiently high priority that it will be done in the immediate future. As I said however it is formally on the radar and should there be a huge outcry for this feature we would be foolish to completely ignore it. That is not the case at present however. I think the decision to not action this will most likely stand - at least for now.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
PdfSnooper
User

Post by PdfSnooper »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi PdfSnooper,

I think the concerns is more about issues that can arrise when a file has more than one application with a handle on it. A file open in the Viewer can also be open in a preview handle, and email client etc.S
Well if you want to invent reasons for failure you can.
[/quote]
Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: As I said however it is formally on the radar and should there be a huge outcry for this feature we would be foolish to completely ignore it.
Indeed, and if the miss universe candidates were to call me and ask for a date i would be foolish to ignore it.

Oh well.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi PdfSnooper,
Well if you want to invent reasons for failure you can.
I'm not at all sure what else to say here. I have tried to explain in as clear a fashion as I can why the decision has been made, I'm sorry you feel this way.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Just suggesting a possible way to a solution, I'm sure that (as a workaround) this feature could be done with a few lines of an Autohotkey script.

Regards David.P
Last edited by David.P on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Understood,

it's on the radar....
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

PDFSnooper ...

Please do not post links to competing products - these are the support forums for Tracker Software Products - not general PDF forums !

If you wish to make us aware of the features of competing products - please do, but via email, the promotion of 3rd party products whilst perhaps not intended - is not appreciated !

Thank you.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
PdfSnooper
User

Post by PdfSnooper »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:PDFSnooper ...

Please do not post links to competing products
But its not a competing product. It does something yours does not.

Marshall Abrams PM me if you want to know. It has already saved me hours of work.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi PdfSnooper,

IM is not enabled on this forum by policy. We are more than happy to hear suggestions, even if it is from competing products but, as John said, please use email to support@pdf-xchange.com and we will be more than happy to pass these on to the development team for consideration.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, MarshallAbrams and PdfSnooper.

The feature for renaming file of opened document can be added in new version (V3) of our pdf-viewer. Please wait..

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

See what can happen with persistence and polite dialogue? The development team have changed their mind because of the user reaction. I think this is a great response and am pretty 'stoked' to see this be accepted now.

We have a formal Feature Request in the system, not just added to the Wish List : RT#1522: Feature Request : Rename open file

Thanks for your support of the products guys. It only makes it better for everyone.

8)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke