Bitmap images in EMF picture

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools SDK of Library DLL functions(only) - Please use the PDF-XChange Drivers API SDK Forum for assistance with all PDF Print Driver related topics or PDF-XChange Viewer SDK if appropriate.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Yury
User

Bitmap images in EMF picture

Post by Yury »

Hello, I have an issue with inserting EMF image into the PDF.

Attached zip contains emf file, which is inserted into the PDF document ( img.emf ), resulted PDF document and one of 3 bitmap files which is inserted into the emf.

As you can see in the pdf, two of three bitmaps are brighter than originals - they background color has RGB ( 197, 197, 197 ). The third image looks ok. It's background color same as in original bitmap. (192,192,192)

All 3 original bitmaps has same backround color (192,192,192) and EMF which is inserted confirms this. However, for some reasons, your library ( PDF Pro library -4.0.199 ) seems processing bitmaps differently. Could you please let me know why? and how can I avoid this "brighter" result?

( We have purchased version )

Bets regards,
Yury.
Attachments
PDF.zip
(105.95 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Bitmap images in EMF picture

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Yury,

Could you please try with the current latest build of our SDKs (201) and let us know if the problem still persists?

Best,
Stefan
Yury
User

Post by Yury »

Same result with 201 build. Any help?
Yury
User

Post by Yury »

Also there is an issue with lines in EMF.
Please open the attachmed PDF and pay attention at thick lines, which connecting boxes.
Then open the original EMF and see the difference. Any suggestions>
Attachments
img.zip
(206.36 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

When I convert the file here using our PDF-Tools routines - I am not experiencing the same issues as you so I suspect we are going to need to see a code snippet of the settings used - see attached.

Unless of course I am missing something ...

Also the quality of the EMF is such that it is too small to zoom in and really see any detail making a true comparison almost impossible.
Attachments
LH_Receipt.pdf
(66.89 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

If we do need to investigate this further - we will need to know the Windows OS specifically as the GDI can have a significant bearing on the output.

thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Yury
User

Post by Yury »

Hi, I'm attaching the screen shot which illustrates the issue.
From the left side is the PDF document with inserted EMF image. From the right is MS PowerPoint with the same EMF inserted.
I marked some incorrect lines in PDF with the red signs, and green signs in PowerPoint. As you can see, the incorrect lines are thick.
They should be the same as in PowerPoint.

Thanks, sorry for my poor english in the previous explanation.
Attachments
screen.zip
(370.94 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks Yury,

When the .emf is opened in PPoint and that is converted to PDF with our printing drivers - the result is much better (the attached Presentation1.pdf).

And when one tries to create a PDF directly from the .EMF using either the Viewer or the PDF Tools - the result is distorted. Also attached is a screenshot of how the file looks in the "Edit/Preview" menu in the Viewer's New Document From images dialogue.

We are now checking why this is happening.

Best,
Stefan
Attachments
emf_viewer.zip
(61.84 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Presentation1.pdf
(86.61 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Also - please advise your Windows OS as previously requested.

Thanks

Best regards
Tracker Support
Yury
User

Post by Yury »

Win7 x64. However this happens on x86 as well.
Thank you and looking forvard the solution.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Yury,

The initial problem with the different background colours is now resolved - the fix will be in the next build. A sample file is attached.

The second problem with the line thickness required a ticket in our system:
#1489: PDF Tools: Issue with line thinkness when converting EMF files to PDF
So that we can work on this problem as well - and when it's resolved we will post here in this topic.

The third thing is the conversion of .emf files to PDF through the Viewer - the Viewer rasterises emf files before conversion and there is no way to control the resolution used (for now) - so the Viewer should not be used for such conversions.

Best,
Stefan
Attachments
ftest.pdf
(49.71 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Yury
User

Post by Yury »

Ok. Thank you. Please let me know when the new build is available
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

You are welcome Yury,

And the new build will be announced on the website.

Cheers,
Stefan
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Yury,

On investigating this issue further in some depth in an attempt to resolve for the next release - I regret this is not going to be possible, I will try and explain ..

EMF files contain 2 records for use when displaying/converting such files - one for use by the GDI and one for use by Windows GDI+ - the latter is 'private' and not published by MS.

Our products rely and utilize the Windows GDI for such display and conversion as do most others unless they are directly reliant on GDI+ (e.g. MS PPT etc) - therefore depending on the viewer used - such images will either contain the thin or thick line variance shown - for example see the 2 screen shots of Imaging viewers that show think lines as we do -;

Therefore I regret - despite our best efforts this issue is not resolvable at this time and there is little prospect of us being able to resolve any time soon.

Sorry for the bad news - but hopefully the above explains in a reasonable manner and demonstrates that we have genuinely tried to resolve.
Attachments
EMF_Issue.zip
(146.02 KiB) Downloaded 204 times

Best regards
Tracker Support