OCR rotates pages back (after manual rotation)

Discussion for the End User use of OCR in PDF-XChange Editor and Viewer

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

guebert
User

OCR rotates pages back (after manual rotation)

Post by guebert »

Hallo,

I'm still testing the new OCR module. Today I found out, that the OCR module is not able to regocnize wrong rotated pages. Therefore I rotated them manually AND SAVED THE PDF.

But after OCR has finished it's job, the content (!) of the pages were rotated back, but the paper orientation has not been changed. So the text was cropped.

You can see this in the attached files.

(BTW, it's quite astonishing, that the OCR file is bigger than the input file, even the input is 300dpi and OCR set t0 150dpi ...)

Michael
Attachments
OCR test.zip
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 267 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: OCR rotates pages back (after manual rotation)

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for this Michael,

We will now investigate this and post again here in this topic as soon as we have any news.

Best,
Stefan
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

The issue is fixed. The fix will be available in build 201 which should be released today
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

I can confirm, the rotation-problem is fixed.

But the increasing file size still persists. I usually scan documents with 400 dpi to get better OCR results (with Acrobat) and let them downsample to 150 dpi after OCR. In my test case, the same doc makes files like this:

Scan 200 dpi - 79 kB
Scan 400 dpi - 216 kB

Scan 200 dpi OCR text layer only - 127 kB
Scan 400 dpi OCR text layer only - 264 kB

Scan 400 OCR image 150 - 370 kB

OCR with Acrobat 6
Scan 400 dpi (Searchable Image exact, downsample 150dpi) - 94 kB

So please enhance the downsample process (and make the function accessible independent from OCR).

BTW, OCR result is nearly the same, so good work! :-)

Michael
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Michael,

Glad to hear that you are happy with the actual OCR results, and as for the file size after OCR - I will pass your comments to the developers responsible and you can be sure that we will investigate this.

Best,
Stefan
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi - any chance we could get some sample files from you to analyze for the size issue ?

Though I should also say - we are doing our best to avoid any major changes at this time so as to concentrate as much as possible on the new Version releases later this Spring - so it could well be you will not see the benefit of these until those releases ...

thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

John,

here you are sample files. (Settings in Acrobat: Searchable Image exact, downsample 150dpi)

Please keep me informed regarding this compression issue, as it is the very last reason for me not to change from Acrobat completely. ;-)

Michael
Attachments
OCR Test downsample.zip
(786.18 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

Post by Walter-Tracker Supp »

Please watch for updates; we will try to address this sooner rather than later, however as John indicated it may be that we simply put it into the new release.