Help us build our Knowledgebase.

Some questions we get asked a lot, answered - all products for End Users

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, John - Tracker Supp, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Help us build our Knowledgebase.

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

In our ongoing effort to inprove not only our products but also the support available we have begun the creation of a searchable Knowledgebase. This is no trival task and we need your help. We recognize that often the advise given on these forums is an invaluable resource for those willing to do a little research when troubleshooting an issue. We'd like to make that information as accessible as possible. Do you have ideas for possible articles?

Some things we think suitable include:
  • feature usage
  • common problems and fixes
  • mini howtos

What do you think should be in there? It's your resource so lets see if we can make it as comprehensive as possible. Please post your ideas/suggestions and 'Articles' here and we'll incorporate those we think appropriate.

please and thanks
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
dianab
User

Re: Help us build our Knowledgebase.

Post by dianab »

Hi,

One area for articles may be on job sector usage. For example I am in the architectural field and have come up with a lot of creative ways to use the program. I am sue there are others in different sectors (or even articles) that may provide some insight into some special uses and tools for the particular trade.

Diana
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

First I'd like to say, that I like this idea very much.
Maybe you could also introduce all the features included in PDF-XChange Viewer in one article. So that a new user gets an overview with just reading one article. I'm thinking about something like the review made by Bhikkhu Pesala.

For the common problems section, I think you should include articles to handle browser plugin problems for the different browsers. Another common problem seems to be, that the filetype associations don't stay (probably due to other pdf viewers installed) and also I'm reading again and again about the "send as mail" function and Thunderbird.
But you probably know as well as me, what the most common problems are.

Kind regards, Michael
rittergig
User

Post by rittergig »

I like this idea.

To start I wrote an mini HowTo which demonstrate how users can create their own stamp (as vector graphic) with OpenOffice easily:
http://www.docu-track.com/forum3/viewto ... 140#p34140
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Many thanks rittergig
- much appreciated !
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
prr
User

Post by prr »

Great idea.

Under "common problems" would have to be "trouble viewing PDFs inside a browser." This has created endless threads in numerous forums, for all pdf makers--not just PDFXChange, so expect your share here. But a short list of steps like I was given in this thread would be great: https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... =35&t=7860

As someone else has suggested, look at Bikkhu's page. This would be nice, as I can guarantee you that most folks will not realize that a PDF viewer can have customizable toolbars, like he demonstrated you can do.

Also, I recieved help from him in changing the default text/formatting for my markups on pre-existing pdfs. That is also a major plus of PDFXChange and should be emphasized in a KB article.

Also, pinning recent files should be in there (a short one, but just to let them know you can do this).
Windows 11
PDFX-Change Editor current
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

good points prr,

we have taken note and will be adding most of this in the near future,

thanks for the input.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
ja95014
User

Post by ja95014 »

One feature that I have trouble finding (and is not documented) is the ability to Copy&Paste "objects" (as opposed to just simple, selected text). This is very useful when using text boxes of a handful of different looks (background color, font size, degree of transparency) in a single document. Also, when I try Cut&Paste on an object, the Cut works but the Paste remains disabled.
I know that I have activated the "mode" where I can Copy&Paste, but I cannot remember how right now ;=(
This is a great tool! Thanks for making it available!!!
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

I supsect you have an older build - this is available in all 'right click' context menu's from build ..51 to the best of my recollection.

If you have an older build - you may have to do a manual update by downloading from our site and installing as the live update was problematic in some older builds.

HTH
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
ja95014
User

Post by ja95014 »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi,

I supsect you have an older build - this is available in all 'right click' context menu's from build ..51 to the best of my recollection.

If you have an older build - you may have to do a manual update by downloading from our site and installing as the live update was problematic in some older builds.

HTH
Thanks for the info. I have build 42.x, so build 51 will be a welcome improvement.

When you say I will need to do a manual update (versus a live update) are you just referring to Saving the file, then running it locally to install?

I assume I should just do a new installation, right? Is the install designed to detect a previous version and "do the right things" or should I first uninstall my older build version?

Thanks for a great tool!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello ja95014,

Yes you are correct. You just need to download and run the new installer manually from your local drive.
An uninstall of the older version before that (and restarting) is advisable to ensure that the new version will be really "fresh" and will not be influenced from any older files - just to be sure ;)

Cheers,
Stefan
regillisch
User

Post by regillisch »

... and don't forget to save the settings and the folder "stamps" (if existing) before uninstall.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Yeah that too - thanks for the update regillisch.

Cheers,
Stefan
MichealJhon
User

Post by MichealJhon »

Well!.

Keep it up.....the above great guidelines from administrator and nice suggestion from to the users of this forum..

Thanks
Micheal.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Michael,

Please have a look at my comment to your latest posts here:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... =33&t=8028

Best,
Stefan