PDF-Tools "lock file to one computer"

Please post any requests or ideas you may have for new features for the end User Version of PDF-Tools here.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, John - Tracker Supp, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Tracker - Clarion Support, moderators, Support Staff

Gopala
User

PDF-Tools "lock file to one computer"

Post by Gopala »

Ivan, :idea:

i want to ask if within future upgrades of PDF-Tools it would be possible, to integrate a tool, with can create a unique security key, that locks the PDF-file to that computer, where it has been opened the first time, like you can find it within some ebook-creating software products.

A way could be to convert the PDF-file into a .exe file, which already includes your wonderful an free PDF-XCange PDF viewer. The registration key to unlock the document could be created from within PDF-Tools after receiving the user number from the costumer, which has aquired the PDF-ebook.

This way could become the new standard for ebooks, as PDF-ebooks are the most comfortable in creating, reading and using. The only thing today is, that nobody offers the above mentioned for PDF as an overall solution.

Greetings. :idea:
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF-Tools "lock file to one computer"

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Gopala,

Thanks for your suggestion. While "locking" the file itself, or creating executables is not in my opinion a good option, we are planning to support the FileOpen plug-in - which allows you to limit the use of a document to e.g. one machine at a time, and when another user tries to open the file an error message like "The file is already opened on another computer" is shown.

This should be an acceptable solution I believe?

Best,
Stefan