Event handling in a PowerBuilder app

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

DanCooperstock
User

Event handling in a PowerBuilder app

Post by DanCooperstock »

I'm looking again (after a few years interval) at your drivers API for use in a PB app, for printing reports etc. within my app to PDF.

The problem is that I don't see a way to register to receive the events. PB doesn't have something like the "with events" option in VB.

Several of your competitors (like novaPDF SDK, that I am currently using) have a way to pass a handle to the window that is to receive events to the API, and then receive them as "other" events in that window. But I don't see anything like this in your docs.

The other way this can work is if it was an actual ActiveX object that could be embedded in a window (rather than created via code). I'm not clear whether your IPXCControlEx is a real ActiveX embeddable object, or really just a COM control, but in any case, that wouldn't help, because it's the Printer property of that object that has the events on it.

Am I missing something? Thanks.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Re: Event handling in a PowerBuilder app

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

No, our driver API doesn't use messaging any more, just COM.
If there are no way to handle COM events in PB, maybe you can create separate .EXE/.DLL written on C++/C# which will work with PDF-XChange driver and pass your PB application messages ?
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
DanCooperstock
User

Post by DanCooperstock »

Yes, I suppose that would be technically possible, but a lot of work!
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Good luck.!
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
DanCooperstock
User

Post by DanCooperstock »

OK, supposing I could make this work. PowerBuilder is a 32-bit development environment, but my app runs on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows computers.

Are you aware of any problems using your SDK product from a 32-bit app on 64-bit computers?

What about problems if the program is not run as Administrator on systems with UAC?

(I'm asking because those are the problems I'm having with my current PDF SDK product, and with another one I've looked at.)

Thank you.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Are you aware of any problems using your SDK product from a 32-bit app on 64-bit computers?
It should work on 64-bit OS as well as on 32-bits.
What about problems if the program is not run as Administrator on systems with UAC?
No, there are no problems.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.