Problem with text printing as rubish

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

evdbogaard
User

Problem with text printing as rubish

Post by evdbogaard »

I have a problem printing certain pdf's using PDF-XChange (version 2.5.195, I have a Pro license).

In the original file the Arial fonts are used and embedded. The file prints correctly when I use Adobe Acrobat or Reader, so the problem seems to be with the way PDF-XChange handels the fonts. The file is printed to a Xerox ColorCube 8570DT PS printer (but I have had this problem also with other printers). I scanned the result (with PDF-XChange, see the attachment).

Any clue what I can do about it (except printing with Adobe)?
If you need the original pdf, please let me know privately (I don't want to put that one on a public forum).

Regards,
Ed
Attachments
Example print problem.pdf
(33.67 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Problem with text printing as rubish

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Ed,

Please try to "print as Image" and check whether this solves the printing problem.
We would also be improving the support for PS printers with ver3 of the Viewer expected later this year, which should make the "print as image" unnecessary in your case.

Best,
Stefan
evdbogaard
User

Post by evdbogaard »

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your quick reply. Printing as image solves the issue, but is a lot slower.
The problem is not limited to PS printers. I have this also with the PCL-driver of the ColorQube 8750 and with the PCL-drivers of the HP LaserJet 4000 en HP Business Inkjet 2800.

Another thing I noted is that the PDF-XChange Viewer prints text thicker than Adobe. Besides I find the Adobe print more elegant, thicker printed text costs more ink/toner. Is this something that version 3 is also going to improve? I would like that very much because I definitely prefer the tabbed browsing of PDF-XChange, so if I don't have to move to Adobe anymore for some (not all) print jobs, that would make me even more happy.

Regards,
Ed
Ed van den Bogaard
Happy PDF-XChange PRO user since 2008 (version 4)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI evdbogaard,

is it most likely that the initial release of V3 will not address this. In subsequent releases, as Stefan has suggested, we will be adding improvements to printing both PS and PCL printers.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com