Some things I would change in Viewer

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

sergiol
User

Some things I would change in Viewer

Post by sergiol »

Hello and thank you is the least I could say for getting for free this masterpiece of software.

But there are some things I wish they would be different:
  • When hitting Page Down key on the Viewer Windows application and it is in "Continuous View" mode, it does not advance to the top of the following page, but to the top of immediately down available content. This behaviour is not reflected in the Browser plug-in (at least on IE), which is not consistent. I wish i had the behaviour of the App reproduced in the plug-in. This point should also apply to Page Up key
  • When using the text tool, I don't know of any possibility of selecting text using only the keyborad. Nor do I think the behaviour of the arrow keys is the most adequate. They should act for moving directy the cursor, as Adobe Reader or Microsoft Word do.
  • The Choice of the F11 keybinding for hiding the toolbars was unhappy. Why? Becuse this keybinding is alomost universal in browsers for activating Full screen, so it very frequently stroked in the keyboard, The big problem is: when you hide Toolbars, it is alost impossible to find how to unhide them.
    One solution could be to have in the popup context menu - at least on the browsers' plugin - one entry for Show/Hide All bars".
  • The tab and Shift tab keybindings should travel the links in the document, being Previous and Next, respectively
Last edited by sergiol on Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: Some things I woul change in Viewer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

1. This behaviour is not reflected in the Browser plug-in (at least on IE), which is not consistent. Cannot confirm. There are continuous or single page modes in the browser plugin too.
  2. When using the text tool, I don't know of any possibility of selecting text using only the keyboard. Confirmed
  3. The Choice of the F11 keybinding for hiding the toolbars was unhappy. Press it again. Keybinding can be changed. Right-click on a toolbar to open the customising dialogue.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
sergiol
User

Re: Some things I would change in Viewer

Post by sergiol »

1. Yes, there are continuous and single page views in the browser also. And you can easily confirm what I said going to some PDF that has more than one page on Internet through a browser - I tried with IE, but I seriously believe it is happening with other browsers - having it in continuous view, making a zoom in to a degree that the page occupies more than the viewport and hitting Page Down.

3. The problem is not that the binding is not changeable. The problem is that using it inside a browser, if the user is a newbie for PDF X Change and does not see the toolbars, he/she has to guess what is wrong for not seeing the toolbars. It happened to me and I lost lots of time for doing an action simple as the saving of a file.
I was desesperate to find the toolbar button for Save. Searching a little on Internet was the solution for my problem
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Sergio,

For your first point - I did try both Opera and IE, and could not reproduce the behaviour you describe.
The "Page Up" and "Page Down" keys both worked just as in the stand alone Viewer - tried with zoom modes that were showing the full width of the page, zoom mode that was showing only a portion of the page (e.g. 250% zoom), and zoom modes that were showing more than one page (e.g. 60%). In all scenarios the keys jumped exactly to the next line that was not visible in the previous View.

For the second point - because of the structure of e.g. the Typewriter Tool, you will be able to use the arrow keys + e.g. Shift to select text only when you have clicked with your mouse inside the Typewriter tool to switch to text mode. Otherwise you are only selecting the object that is holding the text, and there is no way to switch between the two.

For problem three - the full screen mode is mainly designed for reading the documents, and toolbars are hidden on purpose.
People like you that do need the toolbars find a way to show them :) and with the latest version of the manual - there is a section describing the Full Screen settings, and how you can make so that the toolbars are visible - please check This section of the manual: 2.2 Main menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> Full Screen. (page 83 in the document).

Best,
Stefan
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Point 2 is about text selection, not the typewriter tool. In Adobe Reader, one can select text with the keyboard, but in PDF-XChange one must use the mouse.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for the clarification Bhikkhu!

Seems like I misunderstood it the first time.

Now it's all clear and I can confirm that improvements to text selection with both the keyboard and mouse are planned for ver3 we have a Feature Request on the subject, and Paul has just updated it to ask whether these planned features will include selection inside comments and base text.

Best,
Stefan