Missing print jobs when using multiple printer instances

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Galahad
User

Missing print jobs when using multiple printer instances

Post by Galahad »

Hello,

A similar post has been added to the Clarion Fourm by my colleague. I believe this is the correct forum and hence adding it here. We are in the release phase of our product and are observing this strange problem with PDF printing.

PDF XChange (Drivers API) is not able to process multiple jobs especially when there are chances of an overlap. i.e. Consider multiple job requests raised at same time from multiple instances of an application. We have observed that in certain cases some print jobs are not handled.

We are using PDF XChange Printer version 4.0.186.0.

Scenario:
1. We have multiple instances of our application running at the same time.
2. Each instance of application creates new PDF XChange printer with unique name.
3. All the instances application send print jobs (some times simultaneously) to its corresponding PDF XChange printers.

Issue:
As per our observation even though the requests are sent to individual instances of the printer, all the save jobs are handled by a single printer (pdfSaver4.exe). It handles all spooling etc. So, if there are multiple jobs coming at the same time then only one wins. Also, if it is in the middle of processing a job and another job comes in then it gives up on the incoming job.

Snippet of logs created by logging the printer events (for reference):

PDF XChange Printer #1:
[13:04:25] OnStartDoc: 75, DocName: 'Line 004_4_MCR_29.pdf'
[13:04:25] OnStartPage: 75, Page: 1
[13:04:30] OnEndPage: 75, Page: 1
[13:04:30] OnStartPage: 75, Page: 2
[13:04:30] OnEndPage: 75, Page: 2
[13:04:30] OnStartPage: 75, Page: 3
[13:04:30] OnEndPage: 75, Page: 3
[13:04:30] OnEndDoc: 75,
[13:04:30] OnDocSpooled: 75, DocName: 'Line 004_4_MCR_29.pdf'
[13:04:32] OnFileSaved JobID: '75'; filename: 'C:\PDFPath\Line 004_4_MCR_29.pdf'

PDF XChange Printer #2:
[13:04:26] OnStartDoc: 77, DocName: 'Line 004_4_MCR_30.pdf'
[13:04:26] OnStartPage: 77, Page: 1
<Note: After this point no events raised by printer for 77>

We are able to consistently reproduce this issue when trying to print multiple reports.

We need some urgent support to resolve this issue. I would appreciate if we could resolve this over emails or by setting up a tele conference. Please let me know if more info is required.

regards,
GC
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Missing print jobs when using multiple printer instances

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Girish Chandran,

I have passed your issue to the developer that will be able to best address your problem, but he is in the Canadian office, so he will be able to answer you in several hours at earliest.

Regards,
Stefan

p.s. Following your e-mail please try updating to the latest build of our SDKs first so that we are sure the problem is present in build 193 and we will then continue our investigation.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Girish Chandran,

To folow up on this case, our devs asked me to create a ticket so that this can be followed:
#923: Missing print jobs when using multiple printer instances

We have your e-mail in the ticket so we will update you both in the forum topic and via e-mail as soon as there is any additional Info.

Best,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Galahad,

I just received an update that this case has been resolved and that the fix will be available in the next build.

Best,
Stefan