Web Page Converter

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Ryan
User

Web Page Converter

Post by Ryan »

I love the Web page converter. It does an excellent job.

Hopefully, there are plans to improve it even more maybe in v5 if we are lucky?!

Here are some of the things that I would like to see:

*This is probably the most important change to me. When saving a file, if the file already exists, bring up the same dialog that the print driver has with options to overwrite, prepend, append, auto number, etc. instead of just overwrite. Once you get used to this great feature, it's so much of a pain to do without it! (another possible option to add to that dialog is "Insert after page #X" by the way.) :D

*You can adjust "Web page target width," but it would be nice to also have an auto option that detects the witdth of the page automatically. It's possible as I have seen it in another program.

*Add access to more options for fine tuning compression and optimization.

*I'm sure you have other ideas that are even better than mine! Thanks for all the great work!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Web Page Converter

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Ryan,

Lots of things will indeed change for ver5 - you can count on that.
As for the particular case with confirming a file overwrite - the IE Plugin does ask me correctly as it should (see attached).
Or did you have anything else in mind?
*You can adjust "Web page target width,"...
I will see what can be done here, but right now the page is determined by the settings in your PDF printing driver rather than the width of the page (usually best counted in pixels)

Best,
Stefan
Attachments
confirm_save.rar
(6.43 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Ryan
User

Post by Ryan »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello Ryan,

Lots of things will indeed change for ver5 - you can count on that.
Excellent! Thanks!
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:As for the particular case with confirming a file overwrite - the IE Plugin does ask me correctly as it should (see attached).
Or did you have anything else in mind?
Yes. You are prompted to allow file overwrite, but the only option you have is to overwrite or cancel. The PDFX4 print driver gives you a wonderful dialog that has the other options I mentioned above (prepend, append, autonumber,etc.). If the file exists, you get that dialog instead of the one that only allows overwrite or cancel. It's really hard to do without those options when you use the converter button in the browser once you are so used to them in the print driver! (I can send you a shot of the dialog in case you need it)
*You can adjust "Web page target width,"...
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:I will see what can be done here, but right now the page is determined by the settings in your PDF printing driver rather than the width of the page (usually best counted in pixels)
This is a tricky one. What happens if you have a Web page that is wider than a screen width and scrolls horizontally? What if it is wider than the page width that is set? This is one of those issues that comes up occasionally and is hard to deal with. It would be great to have a good solution for this.

Offhand I can think of several possibilities for handling this, some better than others:
*Truncate the page so that anything off of the right margin is just not included in the pdf.
*Have an option to shrink the page size so that it will fit on the page width that is set.
*Print the right hand portions on a separate page so that each page prints on 2 or more pages.

You guys may be able to come up with better ideas. :mrgreen:

Thanks again Stefan!
Ryan
User

Post by Ryan »

Wondering if you guys have any thoughts about this. Thanks! :D
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Ryan,

I created a formal Feature Request around this, the team have taken a look and announced that they will implement much of this in Version 5 of the Drivers.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Ryan
User

Post by Ryan »

Wow! That's great Paul!

Thank you to all of you!

Ultimately, it would be nice if the Web page converter offered the same (or similar) "preference" settings as the print driver (page layout, compression, graphics, watermarks, etc.) . I really like how the print driver lets you select from so many preferences and they are presented to you at the time you send the print job for easy access. It's wonderful to have that kind of control over the job.

But anything that includes any of the above is welcome even if it can't quite go that far!

Thanks again!
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Ryan ;-)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Raysy
User

Post by Raysy »

I'm so happy, that I bought PDF-Xchange 4 Pro. NitroPDF 6 was a pain, especially when using the pdf printer with Firefox (took 10 times as long as under IE, dunno why). That brings me to my idea:

How about a web converter plugin for Firefox?

In IE I can click on the converter icon and press save (2 clicks). In FF I click on "File", "Printing", choose the name of the printer, click "ok" and then "Save". (5 clicks). A plugin would save me lots of time. The same with Outlook. And there's something I hate about outlook: When I save a email via the PDF-Xchange Printer Driver, it always suggestes "Microsoft Office Outlook - Memoformat.pdf" (German version) as the filename. Is there a workaround, so it suggests automatically the name of the email as the filename?

Best regards and keep up your good work,

Michael
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Raysy,

I like the idea also. I'll propose it to the team and see what comes. The features for V3 have been decided on now as we move towards a beta so this will be looked at after work on V3 is complete. It's on the list though. RT#776: Feature Request: Firefox addin for converting web pages

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Raysy
User

Post by Raysy »

Hi Paul,

thanks for the quick reply. I'm looking forward for the plugin. :-)
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Chris - Tracker Supp »

:wink:
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Chris Attrell
Tracker Sales & Support North America
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Raysy,

I have to apologise if I was unclear here. I stated earlier in this thread that:
I created a formal Feature Request around this, the team have taken a look and announced that they will implement much of this in Version 5 of the Drivers.
The key here is "much".
It's on the list though. RT#776: Feature Request: Firefox addin for converting web pages
should be qualified also. It's on the list to be considered not the list to be delivered. There is much involved here so it's not likely to happen in the immediate future I'm afraid.

I do apologise if I misled anyone here.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Raysy
User

Post by Raysy »

I did not expect the plugin to be released in immeadiate future. Firefox has a bigger market share than IE in Europe, but in the US the IE is dominating.
And even IF the team starts the development of the addin, I guess they need some time and a complete rewrite.

But it's nice, that it is on the request list. Perhaps it will be considered. :-)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for your understanding Raysy. Firefox is a personal favourite of mine also.

Regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Raysy,

it looks like there are no plans to do this in the foreseeable future I'm afraid. This may change in the long term but at the moment I don't want you expecting something that we are not planning.

sorry.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke