Flash Mov.ies Support

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mcdalmnit
User

Flash Mov.ies Support

Post by mcdalmnit »

Don't you have any near future plans for adding Flash mov.ies embedment support to PDF files handled by PDF-XChange Viewer Pro? I hear Adobe Pro already has it.

Thanks.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Flash mov.ies

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello mcdalmnit,

Yes there are such plans.
We are working on ver3 and Flash support will be added there.
You can expect ver3 later this summer.

Regards,
Stefan
mcdalmnit
User

Re: Flash Mov.ies Support

Post by mcdalmnit »

Wow! Thanks! Can't wait!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
Spiff
User

Post by Spiff »

I was very happy PDF-XChange Viewer was not affected by the recent Flash Player vulnerability, unlike Adobe Reader which was and is still affected because of the integrated Flash support.

Will adding Flash support to PDF-XChange Viewer mean PDF-XChange Viewer will be affected by future Flash vulnerabilities?
I am definitely not eager for that situation.
The reasons that I choose PDF-XChange Viewer over Adobe Reader is because PDF-XChange Viewer is lighter and better and safer. I would sure regret to lose part of that safety.

When in version 3 Flash support will be added, will setting "Never" for both Allow Launch Actions and for Allow File Attachments Opening (Preferences\ Security\ File Open and Program Launch Actions) protect against any future Flash vulnerabilities?

Can Tracker Software oversee all safety consequences of adding Flash support?

I really hope by adding Flash support to PDF-XChange Viewer you won't also add the Adobe Flash vulnerabilities to PDF-XChange Viewer ....

Best regards
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

You will be able to switch flash on - or disable fully etc ...

We cannot ignore flash (for better or worse) it is embedded within the extended functionality of the PDF format and some users need it and will not accept its absense long term - but with Flash coems potential for security problems and for sure - we will allow those users who prefer not to use it - or limit its use to approved openingf of fiels - will be able to do so.

Apple for example will not support flash at all on some products because of its many security problems - though in fairness to Adobe they have recently issued a major update to try and resolve this - so perhaps from here on in things will improve - only time will tell.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Spiff
User

Post by Spiff »

Hi John,

I suppose Tracker Software can't ignore users demanding Flash functionality in PDF software, but I really hope you can implement it in such a way that it can be disabled fully so that any Flash vulnerabilities will not affect users' system security.

When you mention Apple, Apple recently issued a Security Update that included Flash Player version 10.0.45.2. This was the outdated Flash version holding critical security issues! Adobe issued a new version 10.1.53.64 one week earlier, already.
See: http://blogs.adobe.com/psirt/2010/06/ap ... 0-004.html
It would be funny if it wasn't that terrible.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

I promise you we are as 'wary' of flash support as you and a number of our larger corporate users are too !

We will be providing some very important security options in Version 3 to guard against the potential for such issues on both the user and system administrators level.

Cheers
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Spiff
User

Post by Spiff »

Thanks, John,
And it's good to know some of your larger corporate users are wary of flash support, too.
I suppose that helps. :wink:
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Pleasure ;)

Best regards
Tracker Support