Rendering ArialMT font

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

evdbogaard
User

Rendering ArialMT font

Post by evdbogaard »

I have a document which uses a ArialMT font. In Abobe Acrobat 8.2.2. this is rendered correctly, but PDF-XChange substitutes this with regular Arial. How can I change this behaviour?

Regards,
Ed
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Rendering ArialMT font

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

ArialMT is just postscript name of Arial font, so there is no substituion at all - both programs use same font, difference is only in display names.
By the way, where can you see that Viewer use Arial instead or ArialMT? In text properties we display postscript name of font, so you should see ArialMT.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
evdbogaard
User

Post by evdbogaard »

The appearance of the document both on screen and on print is very different. Acrobat produces characters with thinner lines. See the attached screenshot.

Also when I use both ArialMT and Arial on the same text fragment in a Word 2007 document (docx) Arial appears to be a bit more heavy then ArialMT, both on screen and in print. So I guess there is some difference, though in Word this is not as pronounced as in Viewer and Acrobat.

I like to more subtle look of ArialMT and wonder if Viewer can produce this the way Acrobat does.

BTW, the same pdf in Foxit Reader looks the same like in Viewer, so it's Acrobat which does things differently.

Regards,
Ed
Attachments
Screen 70.zip
(478.98 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Ed van den Bogaard
Happy PDF-XChange PRO user since 2008 (version 4)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Ed,

The fonts are technically the same - it's just that Adobe are using some different rendering algorithms in their Reader.
Also note that to compare the View you should have the document identically zoomed (and 100% in adobe is different than 100% in our Viewer as adobe by default are using 110 dpi in their Viewer while we are using the Windows default of 96)

So you need to e.g. make both Viewers use 96 DPI, have them both then display the document at 100% zoom (or any other equal percentage) and then compare the looks.

If you do a search in these forums you will see there have already been quite some discussions about the different rendering algorithms used and the different impressions this leaves in people.

Regards,
Stefan