Layers

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Layers

Post by Arnold »

I converted some blueprints to PDF from AutoCAD using their viewer. Everything opens fine in PDFX viewer including all the layers. Some of the files have many layers and I generally just need to be able to compute areas using the building outlines (exterior walls). Is there a command to turn off all layers, so I can selectively turn on the ones I need to see? Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: Layers

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I am fairly sure that all of the layers will have been merged when producing the PDF. As far as I know, there is no way to separate the layers.

All you can do is show/hide all comments, so any dimension lines, or text comments that you have added to the PDF in PDF-XChange can be hidden by selecting "Hide all comments."
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

If you use the AutoCAD viewer and export the file as a PDF, each layer is in fact retained. Each layer can then be turned on and off in PDFX viewer. However, it is a pain to turn off each layer on an individual basis if there are many.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi Arnold,

can you please zip an example PDF and attach here - or if particuarly large send an email to pdfxview@tracker-software.com with a link back to this forum message and we will take a look and advise.

thanks.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Here is a screenshot. As you can see there are many layers and I only need to see 3. Is there a command or shortcut key to turn off all the layers? Turning off each one individually is time consuming.

Is there a plan to set measuring up to use Orthographic lines? I know it can be done using the shift key, but it would be nice to set it permanently.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Arnold,

Your screenshot got purged but I know what you mean.
Unfortunately at this time there is no shortcut which you can use to hide/unhide all layers.

As for your second question on whether and when, we will have to wait for the dev team response.

Regards,
Stefan
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Thank you.
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Reviving a very old thread. I couldn't find a recent one.

I deal with architectural plans in PDF form with 100+ layers. Visually, with all layers being On by default, some pages just look like a black blob, unless I zoom in, but then I lose the overall picture. I usually need to view just a few layers.

Turning off 100+ layers one by one is, well, unacceptable, especially if I need to do this on dozens of pages.

So, could Tracker please look at implementing a "turn off/on all layers on this page" toggle option, emphasis on the "off " part?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Claude,

Looking at this sample file I found online:
http://www.planetpdf.com/planetpdf/pdfs ... _Final.zip

There are buttons in that file that toggle all layers on and off. This is the JS that will turn all layers off:

Code: Select all

var docOCGs = this.getOCGs();
for (var x=0; x < docOCGs.length; x++) 
{
    docOCGs[x].state = false;
}
So you can use that in your own files.

Regards,
Stefan
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Thanks Stefan. I had come across that piece of code and it does the job.

What I was proposing is a PDFXchange Editor function to do this on the Layers Option panel:
Layers.png
Layers.png (22.78 KiB) Viewed 4697 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi all,
You will be happy to know that we have just created a feature request for this.
#4339: FR: Toggle All layers on/off
Please reference this ticked number when asking about the progress of the feature.

Have an excellent weekend!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello guys,

I've implemented the Show All Layers and Hide All Layers commands that will activate/deactivate all of the modifiable layers (that are not locked etc.). This feature will be available from the next build 327 that should be held within a month or so, if all goes well.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ