Multiple instances of PDFXCview.exe

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

prius04
User

Multiple instances of PDFXCview.exe

Post by prius04 »

Just noticed --> I had multiple instances of PDFXCview.exe running in Task Manager. I was able to close each process without incident and was able to track the issue down to the Firefox plug-in.

Every time a PDF file is opened from within Firefox, an instance of PDFXCview.exe starts. The problem is (a) a separate instance starts for each tab with a PDF open and (b) when the tabs, or even Firefox itself, is closed, the instance (or instances) do not......each and every one appears in Task Manager. At one point during testing, I had 8 PDFs open in separate Firefox tabs and, after completely exiting Firefox, I had 8 instances of PDFXCview.exe in TM.

The foregoing occurred with the most current beta release of PDF-XChange Viewer (Build 40.3) and Firefox v3.0.3
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: Multiple instances of PDFXCview.exe

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

AFAIK it has always been the case that the plugin would open an instance for each PDF file opened in a tab. I don't think that is a problem in itself. Not closing when you close the tab could become a problem if you view a lot of PDF files in your browser.

If I close Opera and reopen it, the plugins are then removed from the TaskManager.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:....Not closing when you close the tab could become a problem if you view a lot of PDF files in your browser.

If I close Opera and reopen it, the plugins are then removed from the TaskManager.
Interesting. I don't have Opera installed but when I conducted the same test with Internet Explorer, the plugins were also removed after the browser was closed.

Thus, it appears as if this issue might be limited to Firefox. Regardless, the issue really does need to be addressed since it's not something anyone would expect to encounter. That and the fact that each instance is over 30MB, without a reboot or manually terminating each instance, it could very well become problematic.
bugmenot
User

Post by bugmenot »

I complained about the same behavior in this thread. The final post in the thread states that this behavior will be changed in build 40 or 41. It doesn't look like it made it for 40, so hopefully it will for 41.
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

bugmenot wrote:....It doesn't look like it made it for 40, so hopefully it will for 41.
Well, at least I can get rid of the multiple instances by closing Firefox itself now (which, of course, I couldn't previously). Regardless, each instance should close when a tab is closed, the same as IE, Opera, et al.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

We have had to defer 'fixing' this to build 41 (or even maybe 42) when the internal UI logic will be changed (yes, it has a direct relevance).

Most issues we now are coming across are now caused by the current support of MDI.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

Thanks for the progress report, Ivan. :)

One suggestion; it might be wise to include this thing in "known issues" (or some other material with high visibility) so users are aware that they might need to actually close Firefox after opening a number of PDFs, as opposed to simply closing the tabs.