PRINT SIZE IS HUGE!!!

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ARANA
User

PRINT SIZE IS HUGE!!!

Post by ARANA »

version: 2.0 build 37.2
Printer: Konica 7055
pdf size: 355 KB
pdf pages: 4

I tried to print my phone bill, but to my surprise it was taking huge amounts of time to print, i looked at the printer queue (double click on printer name) and i saw my "small 355 kb pdf bill" printing size was over 120MB, no wonder it was taking so long.
i tried with different printers thinking it might be a driver issue but i got same results
i also tried another 400kb pdf and i got a spool of over 70MB.

i used acrobat reader and also foxit and printing size was only around 3mb printing almost instantaneously, is there a setting i have to change inside the viewer, these are corporate printers and i cant change the server defaults?
printing delay and spool size are unacceptable.

i like this reader features and speed, but frequently i need to print some stuff to carry along.
i have not tried any previous version so i don't know if this is issue is specific to this version
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: PRINT SIZE IS HUGE!!!

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Please turn off the caps lock and try a search before posting.

Just print from Adobe Reader or Foxit if you need to do a lot of printing. There is an icon at bottom right of the workspace that will open the current document in any installed Reader. No doubt printing speed will be improved in due course.

The purpose of PDF documents as far as I am concerned is so that I don't have to waste paper and ink on printing. Computer documents are searchable, paper documents are just clutter on my shelves.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

There are some reasons why printing jobs from PDF-XChange can be huge: for first, for now PDF-XChange prints text as curves. Second -- for printing we using GDI+ (and it is used only for printing), and looks like it makes huge jobs :(
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
ARANA
User

Post by ARANA »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Please turn off the caps lock and try a search before posting.

The purpose of PDF documents as far as I am concerned is so that I don't have to waste paper and ink on printing. Computer documents are searchable, paper documents are just clutter on my shelves.

sorry for the caps.

i did try a search and UNPRINTABLE (as one post regarding this issue says) is not what i would try a SEARH for a BIG SIZE ( unprintabble is not tha same as big size spool) so dont try to make it as it is already well indexed treated 9if it was it should be in the faq or in the stickies posts) .

secondly the purpose of PDF is make a document portable (pdf stand for portable document format) if they where not meant to be printed you can just as well disable the printing option from it, so as far as i can see you give no solution at all and saying they are not meant to be printed is not the answer i was looking for, there are many many many reasons why you would want to print a pdf, how many electronic appliances have you bought lately that didnt come with a printed manual? , i bet you didnt know that a printed manual is cheaper than a cd included in the box.
ARANA
User

Post by ARANA »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Please turn off the caps lock and try a search before posting.

sorry for the caps.

i did try a search and UNPRINTABLE (as one post regarding this issue says) is not what i would try a SEARH for a BIG SIZE ( unprintabble is not tha same as big size spool) so dont try to make it as it is already well indexed treated 9if it was it should be in the faq or in the stickies posts) .

secondly the purpose of PDF is make a document portable (pdf stand for portable document format) if they where not meant to be printed you can just as well disable the printing option from it, so as far as i can see you give no solution at all and saying they are not meant to be printed is not the answer i was looking for, there are many many many reasons why you would want to print a pdf, how many electronic appliances have you bought lately that didnt come with a printed manual? , i bet you didnt know that a printed manual is cheaper than a cd included in the box.

Ivan thank you for your answer it seems you know what you are talking about.
newborn79
User

Post by newborn79 »

Hello Arana,

have you find a solution from your problem? I have the same problem and can't find a solution. :?
ARANA
User

Post by ARANA »

well not a solution to make the print size smaller no, but i did return to foxit reader and my problem is no more.

i see we are not alone here, many people having the same issue.
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... ize#p19418

i sure hope theres a better solution than having to keep 2 viewers installed as some people suggest, for me thats no solution at all, why would i want to have acrobat reader installed just to print? the idea was to get rid of it no have to add another viewer.

if i had acrobat reader installed, i wouldnt need xchange viewer at all for my specific needs.

once xchange viewer gets its printing right i will no doubt return to using it.
we had to buy the foxit editor just to do some edition things this does in the free version, just because people would get annoyed because of the printing problem. :(
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

ARANA wrote:...once xchange viewer gets its printing right i will no doubt return to using it...
Same here. For the time being, though, this is nothing short of a deal breaker for me.

I was literally inches away from upgrading to PRO when I discovered not only were the sizes huge, the formatting was a wreck; the printed output was not even close to the way it was supposed to appear.

I'm guessing that the poster who mentioned 'the purpose of PDFs is not to waste paper and ink' probably doesn't deal with documents that need to be signed and notarized very often, if ever. Regardless, printing should function properly, as it does in Reader and other viewers (Foxit, for example, doesn't appear to have printing issues).

I sincerely hope Tracker resolves these issues in a timely manner. Currently, however, I'll have to use another product.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

This topic has been discussed fairly exhaustively and a complete re-writing of ther print output method is in progress and should be available in the next release (build 2.0039).

For now - seelcting 'Print as Image' in the printing output options may well resolve many issues.

Also - if you see any formatting issuesd - we would appreciate samples as we would not expect this even now.

Hope that helps
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

Tracker Support wrote:...if you see any formatting issuesd - we would appreciate samples as we would not expect this even now.
Well, I think I misspoke; the issue relates to page scaling. The paper size *always* defaults to JIS B4 which, for my purposes, is way off.

With respect to the machine on which I have Viewer installed, I have two Brother printers (a standard B&W laser and a multifunction) connected via USB. The printed output from both Adobe Reader and Foxit are virtually identical without changing any settings.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting Viewer to print like Adobe and Foxit, though. With Scaling type set to "None", if I merely click the printer "Properties" button and then "OK", the paper size changes from JIS B4 to Letter. That would otherwise be fine *except* the margins are then too small and the top corners get clipped (this is obvious from looking at the preview).

As a result, I have to change scaling to "Custom" and then make a guess, based upon the preview, on which percent to use. 100% appears to be the same as when scaling type is set to "None", selecting anything above 97% also results in "clipping", while selecting anything below 90% results in the margins being too wide. I suppose I should be happy that I've at least narrowed it down to settings between 90 and 97 percent. :roll:

Seriously, though, I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to resolve this issue if, indeed, it can be resolved by making an adjustment on my machine or printers.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Can you send report (via Help -> Report a problem) with notify this topic number -- I need to see your settings and printer's list.

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

Okay, I sent a report through Help > Report a problem as you suggested. Not sure it actually got sent since I received no confirmation or any indication that the message was sent via the program; it just disappeared after I clicked "Next". Is that normal behavior when sending a problem report?
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

I figured out a workaround of sorts regarding the printing function. It still doesn't work the way it should but here's what I need to do in order to print a PDF in letter size:

1) Click the "Properties" button under the printer name and then click "OK". Doing so (for some unknown reason) changes the paper size from JIS B4 to Letter. Note that I do not have to change any settings in "Properties"; it's enough just to hit the "OK" button.

2) Under "Page Scaling" change "Scaling type" in the dropdown box from "None" to "Fit to printer margins". Doing so results in the page being set properly for printing.

I still have no clue as to why the default paper size appears as JIS B4 whenever I start the program and try to print.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

No, it is not normal behaviour. When you press Next, your default email client should be launched with To field filled, attached files and template of message.

Which OS do you use ? and which is your default email client ?

prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

Ivan,

I'm running XP (SP3) with Outlook as my email client. However, it appears as if there was some glitch earlier. The email, with all the requested information, has been sent. I'm hoping this issue can be resolved easily with the attached settings.
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

Although I appreciate the Build 38.2 release, I submitted my issue (concerning the erroneous default paper size) 2 weeks ago and have yet to receive a response......ANY kind of response.

Is this being investigated? Again, I have a couple of Brother printers and they default to the JIS B4 paper size rather than Letter (which ONLY happens with PDF XChange Viewer PRO). I fail to understand why some sort of resolution (or simply an explanation) has not been forthcoming since both models are pretty much run-of-the-mill.....nothing special.

Thanks for your attention.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

We are working on the fix, and the fix will be available into build 39.

trevorlefeuvre
User

Post by trevorlefeuvre »

Tracker Support wrote:This topic has been discussed fairly exhaustively and a complete re-writing of ther print output method is in progress and should be available in the next release (build 2.0039).

For now - seelcting 'Print as Image' in the printing output options may well resolve many issues.

Also - if you see any formatting issuesd - we would appreciate samples as we would not expect this even now.

Hope that helps

Hi all

Well I have tested 20039 (RC2) and that makes a 807k file spool out to over 150mb :x so if Admin's have any ideas on resolving this problem would be helpful.

Regards

Trevor
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

2 trevorlefeuvre: please try to do the next steps, and please inform me if this helps:

1. download attached file, which contains five .reg files.
2. unload the viewer
3. run first of .reg files from this archive
4. run the viewer and try to print
5. repeat steps 2-4 with all .reg files from archive

Please, let me know with which of these .reg files printing is acceptable.
Attachments
printing_reg_files.zip
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

Ivan - Tracker Software wrote:We are working on the fix, and the fix will be available into build 39.
I really hate to be a pest but RC1 and RC2 of build 39 have come and gone - neither resolved my issue.

I refrained from raising it again but, now that build 39 is final, I feel compelled to do so since the issue remains despite the fact that the issue was **supposed** to be resolved in the current build. Thus, I have two questions:

1) Have the tech folks even identified what is causing the mis-identification of what the default paper size should be?

2) When will there be a fix (it most definitely wasn't fixed in build 39)?

Thanks for your response.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Printing subsystem of the viewer will be rewritten into build 40, and problem with default paper will be fixed.

trevorlefeuvre
User

Post by trevorlefeuvre »

Hi Admin Team

I have used the Print PDF Reg Fixes and the one that has worked is "print_complex_1bpp.reg" but we now have a problem with using any HP printers where the printed text is now reversed and you have to read the document in a mirror, if the documents are printed in a Toshiba studio centre system then its ok so any fixes would be helpful.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

But printing job size reduced ?

trevorlefeuvre
User

Post by trevorlefeuvre »

Hi

Yes the spool printer jobs have reduced thankyou, just need to solve the mirror printing I may be able to send you a test document if that helps but I would need to send it to ad email address. Would not be able to send via forum for security reasons.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

Many thanks - you can send via the 'Help -> Report a Problem' option

or to

Ivan@tracker-software.com

either way - please include a link back to this forum message in the body of your email.

thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

got the file. I see problem, and will try to solve it

trevorlefeuvre
User

Post by trevorlefeuvre »

Hi Ivan

Have you investigated the reverse printing ??? and found an answer ??

Regards

Trevor
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Not for now. I think it is printer's driver related.

trevorlefeuvre
User

Post by trevorlefeuvre »

Hi Ivan

I have been speaking to my client regarding reverse printing which only started after we installed the reg patch to reduce print spool size, can you please review the code as this is what caused this printing problem. or can you advise then the next release of this program will be available.

Regards

Trevor

:) :)
andreasm1982
User

Post by andreasm1982 »

I just have this problem with a huge print file, too.

File size is only 123 kbytes, but print job is about 70 MBYTES! It takes really long to print. That's annoying.... it prints one page, then it stopps. It transfers data to print and prints.... it stopps ... transfers data ....

http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/bunde ... gesamt.pdf

On page 35, it stopped printing at all. Instead, I got a error message on paper:
PCL XL error

Subsystem: kernel
Error : IllegalTag
Operator: 0x3b
Position: 2905370
... but If I only print pages from 35 to 56, it's no problem.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Had print this file using new printing engine which will be included into build 40 of the viewer; got the following results for job sizes:
Epson AL-C2600: 1.69Mb (Adobe Acrobat 9: 1.64Mb)
Epson AL-C2600 PS3: 1.69Mb
HP LJ2015 PCL6: 712 Kb
HP LJ2015 PS: 1.69Mb

BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

This sounds very promising - can't await the release :)
Tom - Tracker

Post by Tom - Tracker »

BigMike

Just crossing the T's and dotting the i's nearly went live this week but had a small problem.

Will be before xmas though :shock:

Just joking should be within a week :D