PDFSaver - Add printer  SOLVED

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ragkag
User

PDFSaver - Add printer

Post by ragkag »

Windows 11 x64

In PDF-Xchange Pro 8.0.343, I used the following command line to create another instance of the
Figure 1.jpg
Figure 2.jpg
PDF-XChange Standard printer which I called “Robotask Task Printer”.

PDFSaver.exe /AddPrinter "Robotask Task Printer" /NoNotify

It worked fine and it created another instance of the printer as shown in “Figure 1”

In PDF-Xchange Pro 9.0.368, I used the same command line to create another instance of the
PDF-XChange Standard printer which I called “Robotask Task Printer”. It creates another instance
of the printer but it only displays the new instance (RoboTask Printer). See “Figure 2”.
The printer “PDF-Xchange Printer” disappears. In order to see both printers you have to right-click on the
“Robotask Task Printer” and a secondary menu pops up which lets you select either printer. The only
way to display the “PDF-Xchange Printer” icon is to “set it as default”. If you make a different printer
the default the “PDF-Xchange Printer” icon is replaced with “Robotask Task Printer”.

Why the change

Bob Gregory

Figure 1
image.png
Figure 2
image(1).png
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDFSaver - Add printer

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi, ragkag

I believe thisis simply the way Windows is choosing to prsent the installed printers.

Do they all show up as discrete printers in the printer list when doing a print job?
image.png
Do they show up in "Print Management"?
image(1).png
image(2).png

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
ragkag
User

Post by ragkag »

Yes they do. Version 8.x Pro did show them as separate printers under "Devices and Printers", unlike version 9.x.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: PDFSaver - Add printer  SOLVED

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hi all,

It seems like the reason is that both printers are using the same "Port".
So you have to create a new port for the "Robotask Task Printer".
Procedure for Windows 10 (probably also works in Windows 11 - not able to test):
after installation of the additional printer (in this particular case, the "Robotask Task Printer")
> right-click the Windows Start button > Settings > Devices > Printers & Scanners
> click the "PDF-XChange Standard printer"
> click Manage
> select the Robotask printer (instead of PDF-XChange Standard)
> click Printer Properties
> click the Ports-tab
> click Add Port > New Port > select "Local Port" > New Port... > Enter a port name: (for example) PXCR > OK > Close
> make sure that the checkbox at the new "PXCR"-port is selected
> click Close
> click the tiny back-arrow in the upper left corner of the Settings window to return to the overview of the printers
You should now see both printers separately

Does that work for you?

Kind regards.
ragkag
User

Post by ragkag »

Will try tomorrow morning. Let you how it goes. Thanks for the instructions
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Thanks, Willy.

This does sound like a reasonable solution.
ragkag
User

Post by ragkag »

Willy,
Using your instructions I finally got it to work but since the PDF-XChange Standard Printer wasn't being displayed, I first had to select the original Robotask Task Printer, right-click it and select PDF-XChange Standard and set it as the default printer. I was then able to use
your instructions and create a new port for the Robotask Task printer. After this both the PDF-XChange Standard and Robotask Task printers were displayed. I'm not explaining this very well but it is now working correctly. Thank you.

I didn't have this issue with PDF_XChange Pro 8.x which leads me to believe that when running PDFSaver.exe with the /AddPrinter version 9.x didn't "create" a new port for the added printer whereas version 8.x did.

Thank you again
Bob Gregory
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I am glad to read that both printers are being displayed now.

Maybe the people of Tracker Support can give you an answer to the question if previous/older versions of the PDF-XChange Standard printer created a new port for every new copy of that printer.

I guess it is rather Microsoft Windows that started to group printers with the same driver on the same port.

Kind regards.

Willy

EDIT:
I have just tried with two old versions, PDF-XChange Standard (V6 build 319) and PDF-XChange Standard (V8 build 332), and the behavior is completely the same: they are using the same 'port' and Windows 10 also 'groups' them.
ragkag
User

Post by ragkag »

Interesting. My version 8.0.343 did create 2 separate instances. When I say my version, I was at a friend's house who had that version installed. He mentioned the ability to add printers with PDFSaver which is something I new I would use, so we experimented then. I actually bought PDF-XChange 9.x because I liked it so much. If I had my own version of 8.x I would try it but...

Thanks for all the feedback on this. At least it's sorted out.

Bob Gregory
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

PDFSaver - Add printer

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

:)