suggestion: "open in new tab"

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ast
User

suggestion: "open in new tab"

Post by ast »

I am coming to suggest a new feature again. (Because I indeed like PDF-XChange Viewer.)

That is, a simple concept from use experience of most of current web browser with tabs, "open in new tab" to view the link or even bookmark.
"To view a link page with a new tab" could allow user to keep navigation path in original tab and simultaneously to take a quick view to the linked page (that is mostly a something reference of context) in a new tab.

This is also to compensate the disadvantage of current "navigation path" that tracks every small steps of viewer. That is a limited depth of stack and hard to go back to the place stating to link.

Of course, that may be involved with a issue of opening one document in multiple different tabs. I believe clever tacker-software engineers could resolve it easily. (I think read-only tab is a reasonable method.)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: suggestion: "open in new tab"

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi AST,

I'm not sure if that has already made it's way to the V3 wish list, I didn't see Open in New Tab explicitly mentioned, though it may be a part of the UI redesign, so I added it. This isn't a promise to deliver the feature but it is noted.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi AST,

just to follow up with what has come from your feature request, our developers have suggested the following:
In general, we are not going to do this (it is not a web browser).
The only case we shall do is: when in pdf there is a link to another (!) pdf - in such case there will be command "Open in New Tab".
But if that link goes to some pages in the same (!) document - this command will not be enabled.
hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
ast
User

Post by ast »

Thanks your reply.
But I still want to highlight following reasons to promote "open in new tab" again:
1. Currently the mechanism to trace navigation view has a big disadvantage, that is due to what it stacks is "view", even a view of a small movement of scroll, instead of "page" or "anchor". And also, the depth of stack to record navigation views is too small, and sometime it will lose way back to the original view.
2. What is the essence of a 'link'? To provide an instant jump to reference target, doesn't it? After a look to a reference target, users always wanna go back to the point starting branch. "Open in new tab" is more helpful than current mechanism of tracing navigation view.
3. This purpose to navigate inner or outer reference is so successful in every modem browsers. I don't understand why PDF viewer that has the same 'link' concept can not adopt this successful user experience.

Of course, this is involved to another issue to "open the same document in multiple tabs" and fundamental UI architecture to show different popup option menu for different cursor pointed object. Maybe it is too difficult for me to discuss.

"open the same document in multiple tabs" is also another way to read a document, one for sequential reading and one for search reference reading.

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi AST,

just to follow up with what has come from your feature request, our developers have suggested the following:
In general, we are not going to do this (it is not a web browser).
The only case we shall do is: when in pdf there is a link to another (!) pdf - in such case there will be command "Open in New Tab".
But if that link goes to some pages in the same (!) document - this command will not be enabled.
hth
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello ast,

And thank you for your updated suggestions.

Please understand that the PDF XChange Viewer is NOT a web browser, and while we are using tabs like pretty much all modern browsers, the links in PDF files are different - in a web page you always have a link pointing to another web resource (being it another page, image, or PDF document - it's always online) so there is logic behind the option to "open in new tab" - in the Viewer you could have links to web resources (which need to be launched in an external application), to other locations in this document, to locations in other documents, to attachments in the file, or even to resources in a relative folder (e.g. external local files). So as our developers said - we will not consider or implement this feature for now as in most cases you need special handling of the links and they are rarely to new files.

Now on opening the same document more than once in the Viewer (a.k.a. Split View) and the possibility to scroll in the two different views independently - this is coming in ver3 of the Viewer.
You can have a look in the preview here:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 35&t=10100

Best,
Stefan
rubbioli
User

Post by rubbioli »

boa tarde!
Gostaria de reforçar a utilidade da sugestão do colega: "open a bookmark in a new tab". Seria muito útil se fosse adotado como opção ao clicar com o botão direito do mouse nos "bookmarks".

Regards,
moises.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi, rubbioli

thanks for adding your voice to the choir! I do not have an ETA for delivery of the feature, but that is was accepted and a ticket made weans it will happen eventually, much depends on the other tasks ahead of it.

warm regards

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke