cheight = 3276 mm does not work

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

alex59
User

cheight = 3276 mm does not work

Post by alex59 »

Our customer has a bill printer with a page size 80 mm * 3276 mm. If he use this size, the pdf file created with PDF XChange gets a size of 109 MB, and it takes more than 6 minutes to create it.

I tested some page sizes and determined, that there is a limit between 2700 mm an 2800 mm. A pdf file with cheight = 27000 is created correctly. Using cheight = 28000 I get the problem.

Is this a known bug, and is the a solution?

Best regards, Alex
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: cheight = 3276 mm does not work

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello alex59,

If the file gets that big - it likely gets rasterized.
That is likely a limitation in the way the file is sent to the Drivers API, and we would not rasterize one but not the other arbitrarily. We should be able to create paper sizes up to 5080 x 5080 mm (200 x 200 inches) without any issues.

Kind regards,
Stefan
alex59
User

Post by alex59 »

Hello Stefan

Our paper size is 80 mm * 3276 mm, i.e., below the limit of 5080 mm * 5080 mm. There seems to be another limit, that is not documentated.

Best regards, Alex
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello alex59,

Is your application 32 or 64 bit? Is there enough Ram for the printing process? Maybe if it is 32 bit and reaches some memory limits - it then converts to rasterizing content? If you try to "print" such a paper size - but with only a few words of text on it - does it still get to the large MB sizes as the actual live samples the customer does?

Kind regards,
Stefan
alex59
User

Post by alex59 »

Hello Stefan

Our application is 64 bit. RAM cannot be the problem. I tested with a short bill. The resulting pdf file is about 30 KB, if I choose a height of 297 mm, and if I choose a height of 2700 mm, the pdf file is about 30 KB too. The size of the pdf file does not increase proportionally to the height of the paper, but there ist a jump from 30 KB to 109 MB between the height of 2700 mm and 2800 mm.

Best regards, Alex
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello alex59,

I had to ask about the architecture, so that we can start ruling out possible reasons for the file being created that way.
If you test with an "almost empty" file - does it once again jump to the 100s of megabytes of size when you increase the page length from 2700 to 2800 mm? Can we have copies of the 2700 mm 30KB and 2800 mm 100+ MB files?

As PDFs rarely compress much - you will likely need to upload those to our file server:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... le-service

Kind regards,
Stefan
alex59
User

Post by alex59 »

Hello Stefan

I have uploaded the files "alex59 Height 2700 mm.pdf" and "alex59 Height 2800 mm.pdf". This time the 2800 mm file has only a size of 88 MB. Both files should have the same content, but in the 2800 mm file lacks a part of the content. Therefore the content appears several times.

Best rards, Alex59
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello alex59,

Thanks for the sample files!
Your first document is 1 page, and the second one is 132 300 pages!
image.png
image.png (2.43 KiB) Viewed 4462 times
When you divide the 92 million bytes of that file on the number of pages - you get ~695 bytes per page - which is about right given the amount of text on each.
Also - extracting just one page of that file - gives a very reasonable file size:
image(2).png
(There is some overhead for each PDF file and it's structure - so while the text is still ~700 bytes - the rest of those 24KB is the PDF structure itself.)

I am not sure why or how this happens - but your file with the 2800mm long pages seems to get created with an unusually high page count. The contents of those appears to be the same (I had to crop them for the below image):
image(1).png

Can you please check your code - is there anything on your side that could try to print this number of times with the 2800 mm page?
I also noticed that this file was created with build 352 of our products. Can you please try to update to the current latest 367 and see if the issue is still there?

Kind regards,
Stefan
alex59
User

Post by alex59 »

Hello Stephan

There is nothing in our code, that can produce the problem. And the problem still occurs with the build 367.

Best regards, Alex
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

The driver itself does not split documents per page.
The printing application decides when to start a page, and when to finish it.
Which application was used to print that document onto the PDF-XChange printer?
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Freund
User

Post by Freund »

Hi,

we use our application.
It uses an Ole (COM) connection do the Driver

Regards,
Freund
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Your application decides how many pages will be there, not the driver.
The application calls (directly or indirectly) pair of functions StartPage and EndPage for each page in the printed document.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.