Build 359.0 [ ] ignore annotations on pages issue

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

On Acrobat X, to an empty page I add a Text Box using this:
image.png
image.png (2.23 KiB) Viewed 719 times

Then I process in PDF-Tools using:
image(1).png
Help says "Select the ignore annotations on pages box to ignore annotations when PDF-Tools decides which pages to delete."

and am surprised to find the page deleted. Surprised because nothing I can see has IDed this text item as an annotation.

Then I view in PDF XChange Editor and am surprised to see it IDed as a Comment:
image(2).png
What must I do to delete pages empty but for comments such as highlights and sticky notes and not delete pages empty but for text boxes?

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Build 359.0 [ ] ignore annotations on pages issue

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, chrisjj

I should first note that build 359 is a bit dated now, we are on V9.5.368.0, so you may want to update the software when you get a chance.
chrisjj wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:54 pm Then I process in PDF-Tools using:

Help says "Select the ignore annotations on pages box to ignore annotations when PDF-Tools decides which pages to delete."

and am surprised to find the page deleted. Surprised because nothing I can see has IDed this text item as an annotation.
I do not understand why you are surprised by this? As you said later on, the Editor itself shows you that this is a comment, the PDF format has not changed so drastically since Acrobat X that an older software could try to create base content, and think that is it base content, and then have a modern app look at it and say "this is a comment, not base content". It is a pretty strict apples to oranges comparison.
Following that, you have chosen to delete any pages which do not have any content within the page bounds, if you did not enable the "ignore comments" option, than the tool would have seen there is a comment in the page bounds, and in turn would not have deleted the page, instead because you have this enabled the comment is ignored, and there is indeed no other content on the page, so the page is deleted.

If you do not wish this page to be deleted, you would only need to uncheck the option to ignore comments.
chrisjj wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:54 pm What must I do to delete pages empty but for comments such as highlights and sticky notes and not delete pages empty but for text boxes?
I am not certain that I follow what you mean here... Are you trying to ask if it is possible to delete pages that contain a specific type of comments, but not others? If so, I am afraid that is not currently possible.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

> > Help says "Select the ignore annotations on pages box to ignore annotations when PDF-Tools decides which pages to delete."
> > and am surprised to find the page deleted. Surprised because nothing I can see has IDed this text item as an annotation.

> I do not understand why you are surprised by this?

Again: "nothing I can see has IDed this text item as an annotation"

> As you said later on, the Editor itself shows you that this is a comment,

The option says annotation, not comment.

> that is not currently possible

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, chrisjj

In PDF, Annotation and Comment are interchangeable terms. They are one in the same and there is no difference between the two, I apologize if that was unclear.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:23 pm In PDF, Annotation and Comment are interchangeable terms.
I wasn't aware "PDF" was a language. Let alone that the English UI language wasn't English.

Perhaps your UI designers might consider consulting a dictionary for the English language, rather than continue this totally needless projection of a false distinction.

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com