Manage Sessions: How many sessions are saved?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ironick
User

Post by ironick »

I've been using PDF-XChange Editor for years and I love it! I've been saving my sessions on a regular basis for well over a year (perhaps a few times a month). However, I just looked at the number of saved sessions listed in the Session Manager window and I only see eight. What happened to the rest of my sessions? Does it only keep a maximum of eight sessions in the list? Or is there a age of sessions limit?

If PXE is limiting saved sessions in some way, I hope one workaround is to export really important sessions. I assume exported sessions are never deleted. Is that a safe assumption?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Manage Sessions: How many sessions are saved?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, ironick

Normally sessions are stored within the system registry, there should not be any limit to the quantity there, nor would the old ones be deleted with age, If any are missing, it may be that the registry has been affected by an external cleaning software such as CCleaner. If you are ever using something like that, please whitelist our registry keys and all subkeys, to ensure that our settings are not impacted by these systems.

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Tracker Software
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tracker Software
Beyond that, your latter question about exporting important sessions, yes, if you use the "save current session to a file" that session will be stored as a separate item which exists in the file system beside your PDF documents. We would read this file just the same as the version stored in the registry. It should be noted that a session file, regardless of storage location, is essentially just a list containing the path to the PDF documents in question with a few custom options like window position recorded. What this means is, if the PDF documents move to another location, the session will have no knowledge of that move, and will simply fail to open those documents. You will need to re-create the session with the new file locations each time you move documents that are part of a session.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
ironick
User

Post by ironick »

Hi Daniel,

I'm following up on this old post because I just noticed that my session list has been truncated again. Here is a screenshot of my current session history:
PDF-XChange Editor - Sessions - Screenshot 2023-03-29 133119.png
As you can see, it only goes back to November. But I've been saving sessions every few weeks (ie more than once a month) since June 2022, when I first posted my question.

I occasionally checked the session history every couple of months and it seemed that, as you said, all my sessions were listed in the history, ie no old sessions were being deleted. But when I checked today, I see that I've lost all sessions prior to November. I also feel like I've saved more sessions SINCE November than the seven listed.

Note that when I open the Manage Sessions dialog box, it shows only the same seven sessions. Also, to my knowledge, I haven't run any registry cleaners. I did install a new version of PDF-XChange Editor (the latest) the other day, but I don't see why that would only delete some sessions instead of all of them.

Any idea what's going on?

-- Nick
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, ironick

Thank you for the report. This is very strange, as we do not filter or order sessions by date or in any particular order which could cause a loss like this, at least in the registry. By the same token, it would be quite bizarre for a third party app to be able to so precisely cut off only the unordered keys related to sessions from before that date.

I have brought this to the Dev team and they are requesting an export of the following registry key, can I ask you to please provide that to us?
As this can contain sensitive data like file and folder names, I will ask that you email this to us, with a link to this post in the body of the email.
The key in question is:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Settings\CustomSessions\Items
1. Please open the windows registry editor. and copy/paste the above into the address bar
2. Right click on the "items" key (folder) and choose "export"
3. Save the file as a registry file (please do not change the format to text)
4. After the file has been saved, change the file extension to .txt
5. Please the text file inside of a zipped folder (windows can do this by right clicking on the file and choosing "send to > compressed folder"
6. attach that zip file to the email you write to us.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
ironick
User

Post by ironick »

Sorry Daniel, I didn't see this until now. I just sent an email with the requested zip file.

-- Nick
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, ironick

No worries, I have received the registry key here, and passed it along to our Dev team. Ivan and our testers are now working with this to try and reproduce your issue.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
ironick
User

Post by ironick »

Hi Daniel,

Any word on the status of this issue?

Thanks,

-- Nick
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, ironick

I am afraid that as of yet, none of us, neither myself nor our Developers or Testers, have been able to reproduce this to date... At this point all I can really say is that is is an ongoing investigation, we are still trying to identify what even could cause this.

I would implore you to investigate every background process you have running on your PC to see if any of them could in any way be causing some interference with our registry interactions. If you happen to find something which you do not need to have running on your PC, please try disabling it, and let us know what it was called, so we can see if that helps us to reproduce it.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
ironick
User

Post by ironick »

Thanks Daniel, I'll keep an eye on it and report back if I discover what's affecting the registry keys.

-- Nick
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com