Permanently disable JavaScript support in opened documents

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Jensen Head
User

Permanently disable JavaScript support in opened documents

Post by Jensen Head »

There are JavaScripts in the documents I work with, but I don't need them. I work only with graphic-text archival documents without the use of interactive elements. Is there a way to turn off JavaScript support in the application so that when opening files with JavaScript, an annoying message
JavaScript PDF-XChange Editor
This document contains JavaScript. Do you wish to enable all JavaScript actions in this document?
Note: The document may not behave correctly, if they are disabled.
Suppress this message until this document is reopened
does not pop up? Otherwise, could the developers consider adding a "don't enable now and in the future, and don't ask again" response option?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Permanently disable JavaScript support in opened documents

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Jensen Head

To prevent JS from running, and from getting popups to do so, look to the applications preferences (Ctrl+K) under the "javascript" category. Then uncheck the "enable" and "show warning" checkboxes for JS:
image.png
Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Doesn't the "Show warning when JavaScript action executes" setting cause JavaScript to be executed without being prompted? It doesn't seem to be the same as "deny JavaScript execution and don't issue a warning".
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Jensen Head

Not quite, I had a long chat with the Devs about this, and the options will be seeing some change, the show warning option will present a warning when a document has Js that is tries to execute, giving you the opportunity to allow it, or disallow it manually, for that session. This is helpful because there could be times when a document actually requires JS to appear correctly, and actively seeing a prompt which you say "no" to before opening can help to showcase why it was required.

In the future, we will be changing the text of these options to make that more obvious.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
WT_Tech
User

Post by WT_Tech »

This is a historic thread but also the closest response I can find to a new item:

After a recent update of PDF-XChange Editor (to v9.5 build 366.0), Javascript appears to be permanently ENABLED. i.e. Turning off Javascript has no effect and the Javascript is 'run' on startup each time. Here are the settings used which should turn off Javascript on startup:
image.png
This is proven by removing all checks (as per above - which still ran the Javascript). After opening I then deleted all document 'fields' which were called by the Javascript and also checked the 'Show warning when JavaScript action executes' tickbox shown above. After closing and re-opening, I get the following pop-up the warning...i.e. The JavaScript HAS executed but throws an error when attempting to find the now missing fields....
image(1).png
The appears to be a recent issue as turning OFF Javascript has worked fine for years until the recent update??

Any thoughts?

Thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, WT_Tech

Thank you for the report, I have reproduced the issue and brought it to our Dev team directly. This should be resolved for the next release. I apologize for the trouble.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
kumar
User

Post by kumar »

Hi,
I need to disable JavaScript too but still want to get the warning message before JavaScript executes and I think this is a very important fix that needs to be released as soon as possible due to the security risks. That said, does unchecking "Enable JavaScript Actions" and "Show warning when JavaScript action executes", then will it disable JavaScript? Please confirm. This could be a temporary workaround solution until a fix is released.

Hoping then in the next release,
1. Enable JavaScript Actions - Unchecking this option will disable JavaScript
AND
2. Show warning when JavaScript action executes - Checking this option will show a warning message before JavaScript executes
Can you please confirm this is how it will work in the fixed release?

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, kumar

Yes, unchecking both options will prevent JS from running (once these controls are working that is...), The Dev team has also confirmed that this issue is already fixed and will definitely be in the 368.0 build release, at the moment however, I do not have a timeline for when this will be available.
If show warning is left enabled, than yes, and JS attempting to run should cause a popup asking you to allow it to continue.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com