OCR in German fails since build 367

Discussion for the End User use of OCR in PDF-XChange Editor and Viewer

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rc.otto
User

Post by rc.otto »

Since build 367 the OCR in German (New Spelling) fails very often. I get the following window:
text_erkennen.png
text_erkennen.png (34.47 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
What can I do?
Attachments
image.png
image.png (35.76 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: OCR in German fails since build 367

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello rc.otto,

Can you please confirm the version of Windows you currently have (e.g. Win 10, Win 11, and whether is it 32 or 64 bit)?
Also - did you update from an older version, or did you do a clean install of build 367?

I presume you are using the Enhanced OCR, but would love it if you can confirm that as well!

Kind regards,
Stefan
rc.otto
User

Post by rc.otto »

I am using PDF-XChange Editor Plus (64 bit) on two systems: One with Win 10 Pro and one with Win 11 Pro. Till now there are no problems with Win 10 Pro. On Win11 (22H2, OS-build 22621.1413) the OCR fails.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello rc.otto,

Was this windows 11 installation a fresh one, or was it an upgrade of a Win 10 machine to Win 11?
Has the Editor been installed prior to such an upgrade, or was it installed after?
Can you please try to do a clean reinstall of our Editor, and select "Full Install" when doing so, to see if that helps?
(You can also back up current Editor settings to a file if desired before trying such a reinstall.)

Kind regards,
Stefan
rc.otto
User

Post by rc.otto »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:09 am Was this windows 11 installation a fresh one, or was it an upgrade of a Win 10 machine to Win 11?
Has the Editor been installed prior to such an upgrade, or was it installed after?
Can you please try to do a clean reinstall of our Editor, and select "Full Install" when doing so, to see if that helps?
(You can also back up current Editor settings to a file if desired before trying such a reinstall.)
Hello!
It was a fresh installation; the machine came with Win11. PDF-XChange was installed with Intune (Endpoint Manager). I can unsinstall the program and let Intune reinstall it. It will take some days, because the machine ist at my home and I will not be back before saturday.
Kind regards
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, rc.otto

Thank you, Please do let us know the results of that as soon as you can. I also note that you did not answer Stefans's question about wether this is the "Enhanced" OCR, or the default OCR Engine you are using. Can I ask for a screenshot of the OCR settings you are using, so that we can try to reproduce this error message?
vince.theonerd wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:55 pm I seem to have the same difficulty. I have installed the latest version of PDF XChange Editor (9.5.367.0) on my new computer (Windows 11 home). I do not have Enhanced OCR and the classic one was working just fine for me. Seems to still work alright in English (I haven't tested other languages). But the German OCR is not working reliably. In the screenshot below, I set it to OCR the entire document. Only fractions of it are processed. Other parts of similar image quality are not:

Any idea what might be wrong?
I believe you are having a separate issue entirely, as RC was finding that the OCR will not run at all, and instead giving an error message. I will be moving your post to its own separate topic here in a moment, so we can discuss your issue there.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
rc.otto
User

Post by rc.otto »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:09 am Hello rc.otto,

Was this windows 11 installation a fresh one, or was it an upgrade of a Win 10 machine to Win 11?

Kind regards,
Stefan
I am using the enhanced OCR. But reinstalling the software seems to have helped. Thank you very much!
Kind regards,
rc
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)