Feature Mirroring Line out of Order [solved]

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

metra-mgk
User

Post by metra-mgk »

Hello,

after upgrading to Version 9.0 build 354.0

is the Feature "Linie spiegeln" / ?mirroring line" out of order.
Linie_spiegeln.png
It seems to do nothing.

Regards
Last edited by metra-mgk on Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Feature Mirroring Line out of Order

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

The "Flip line"-feature (Linie spiegeln) seems to still work correctly in PDF-XChange Editor V9 build 354.

The goal of this is to flip, mirror or reverse something, like switching a line with an arrow to the other direction.
In your example there is no arrow at either side of the line, so the "Flip line" feature seems to do nothing.
When you draw a line with an arrow at only one side, and you use the same feature, you will see that it works.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding about the meaning of the German word "spiegeln".
I suppose it is also used for copying something, which is "kopieren" in German. That is not what the feature in question will do.

Is this a usable answer ?
metra-mgk
User

Post by metra-mgk »

Thanks for your reply, Willy.

The anser is not usable. :-(

I explay a little bit more.

To get smoot roundet measurements,
or to draw exactly we used a feature excesively.
When you scroll in the property "length" of an measure, the second Point will be moved.
If you like to move the first point, you had to flip the line until Version 9 build 352.

The shown example has been build at Version 8 build 336
Forum_Flip_Line_explanation.png
Since build 354 the behavior has changed.

Regards
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Problem confirmed.

I wonder how @Tracker Software Development will be able to resolve this in an acceptable way.

1) Is it really necessary to mirror the distance indication (upside down) when the line is being flipped ?
In build 354 the line is flipped, but the measurement text is not anymore.
Making a distinction between flipping the line and flipping the text ?

2) Must there be another (better) way to choose whether to extend the line at the start or at the end (instead of having to flip the line) ? In build 354 the line now always extends at the end, even when it has been flipped.

3) Or, would everybody agree to return to the behavior like it was before ?

Best regards.
metra-mgk
User

Post by metra-mgk »

Hi all,

I found the recently deleted functionality within the command flip
now in the command "context menu", "arrange", "Rotate 180°"
grafik.png
grafik1.png
grafik2.png
This commant is also placeable in the toolbar.

Well done.

Regards
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
jotess
User

Re: Feature Mirroring Line out of Order [solved]

Post by jotess »

These post are from 2021. At that time I had not yet discovered the "flip" feature yet. Meanwhile I have and I have been using it some time. It was working the way that it flipped the text and this was what I expected. Now, since a few versions/months the button does not have any effect any more. Now that I found this thread I tried the "arrange", "Rotate 180°". Okay, works. But this is not intuitive if you aim to flip the text. And it mirrors the whole measurement, the mirror line being the start points of the measure end lines. So after mirroring you might have readable text, but the line is somewhere where you don't want it.
To make a long story short: Please fix the flip tool!

Best regards
Joachim
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, jotess

I think you may be getting a few features mixed up. The "Flip vertical/horizontal" tools have been disabled as measurements which have been "flipped" like this can cause some odd issues and inconsistent appearance in other applications.
image.png
The "Flip Line" tool that you are looking at and using in the current release is a new addition, which was designed to move the endcaps around, the text should be left in place as is, never moved or inverted.
As such, 180 degree rotation will be the only way to invert your text direction. I should note that you can adjust/reposition the text on an existing measurement by grubbing the nodes at the end of the line:
PDFXEdit_QQ9rKOZcss.gif
Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
jotess
User

Post by jotess »

Hello Daniel,
I think I have not made my point clear. I had not noticed that these
grafik.png
tools have been disabled. I was talking about this one:
grafik(1).png
grafik(1).png (1.16 KiB) Viewed 397 times
. This doesn't have any effect any more. And using the "rotate 180°" tool is a dubous workaround. And your suggestion of grabbing the start and end points and exchanging them works technically better of course but it is more effort and usually there is a reason why a measurement has been drawn in the "wrong" direction at first.
But in the end you want measurements to be readable all from the right hand side.
So my issue is basically a bug report: The "Flip Line" tool doesn't work any more.

Best regards
Joachim
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, jotess

I am afraid that any handling otherwise in the past was a bug. This was something that was fixed during the lifetime of V7, and was intended.
The text direction/location should not be affected by a function which is specifically aimed at flipping a line. The line is flipping on its center axis (the two end points are switched) and that is the sole intent of this function. At this time, it will not be changing to work contrary to this intended handling, and you will need to use the aforementioned workaround, or rotate the page itself before placing your measurements.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com