Max Page Length  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

shade-cabin-hammock
User

Max Page Length

Post by shade-cabin-hammock »

Hi,

What is the effective max length I could make pages?

Here's my goal - would like to have a whole section on one uninterrupted "sheet". I've got an effective width worked out - 1896 pixels. Super wide, I know.

What is the effective LENGTH I could make pages? So as not to encounter any memory issues / performance impact.

I don't guess any single sheet would ever need to be more than 5 pages in length total - so I guess that's 55 inches long?

What are the largest figures I can get away with in terms of width and, critically, height, for pages?

Sincerely,

SCH
Sincerely,

SCH
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Max Page Length  SOLVED

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello shade-cabin-hammock,

PDF files measure the sizes in points and mm, not pixels - you can have the same say 300 x 300 pixels image displayed as 2.54 x 2.54 cm (1 by 1 inch) - and that will result in a 300 DPI resolution for the image, and then you can have the same image as 5.08 x 5.08 cm on a PDF's page, and that will then make the DPI of the same initial image 150. The amount of pixels is the same, but when printed on paper - the resulting quality will be different.

As for the PDF Page itself - you can create pages up to 5080 x 5080 mm (5.08 x 5.08 metres) - or 200 x 200 inches.

Kind regards,
Stefan
shade-cabin-hammock
User

Re: Max Page Length

Post by shade-cabin-hammock »

Thanks! :))))))))))))))))))))!
Sincerely,

SCH
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:26 am Hello shade-cabin-hammock,

PDF files measure the sizes in points and mm, not pixels - you can have the same say 300 x 300 pixels image displayed as 2.54 x 2.54 cm (1 by 1 inch) - and that will result in a 300 DPI resolution for the image, and then you can have the same image as 5.08 x 5.08 cm on a PDF's page, and that will then make the DPI of the same initial image 150. The amount of pixels is the same, but when printed on paper - the resulting quality will be different.

As for the PDF Page itself - you can create pages up to 5080 x 5080 mm (5.08 x 5.08 metres) - or 200 x 200 inches.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Those specs you cite, Stefan, are of course correct. But they are before resizing. If you have a sheet that is, say 175 x 175 inches and use the Resize Pages function to reduce the size of the sheet to, say, 10% of the original page you now have a sheet that is 17.5 x 17.5 inches without having lost any content.

With this sort of flexibility, one can almost say "size doesn't matter." However, not quite because page rendering becomes an issue. If there is a lot of content the visible part of the document may be slow to render. Maybe some day this constraint will be sidelined, too.
All best,

FringePhil
Sean - Tracker
Site Admin

Post by Sean - Tracker »

Hi PHK,

Thanks for the additional information and clarification.

Kind regards,
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

Opera can save entire web pages as single PDF pages. Unfortunately, it seems one can't set the PDF's paper size or dpi or scale in Opera. Therefore, my attached example PDF from Opera has a page size of 1306 x 16164 mm. In F0xit Reader for example, the PDF page is shown completely, in PDF-XChange Editor only a vertical lenght of 7620 mm is visible, the rest is cut off (at the top of the page).

Is there a way to display the entire page also in PDF-XChange Editor?

Best regards
David

1306 x 16164 mm PDF page.pdf
(2.59 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello David.P,

7160 mm seems to be exactly 300 inches. I suspect that this file does not specify a "User Unit" (effectively a scaling factor that is needed when a PDF file is larger than 200 inches in either direction), and as such we are displaying 'a bit more' than 200 inches but not the whole file.
If you try to open the same file in Adobe's products - you get only the last 5080mm (200 inches):
image.png
image.png (1.5 KiB) Viewed 5383 times
So basically just the comments section of your sample.

What version of Opera is that? Mine allows me to save as PDF and does break the longer content into A4 pages.

Kind regards,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello Stefan,

thanks for your answer. I am using the latest Opera version v.107. When saving as PDF (via right click), the whole web page is saved as one long PDF (which I prefer over splitting the page -- if needed, this can always be done via printing to PDF).

There don't seem to be any options in Opera for resizing the page or splitting it into multiple pages:

image.png
https://bikerumor.com/shimano-xt-linkglide-11-speed-affordable-mtb-drivetrain-review

Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello David.P,

Aha! I see now!
I have been using (Ctrl + P -> Save as PDF...) for browsers where our plug-in is not present (like Opera), and that does break the long content into manageable A4 pages.

Then it would seem like Opera just creates PDF pages that are not compliant with the PDF specification, and we are even showing more than the 5080mm we should for the file thus formatted.
There is a proper way to create files longer than 5080mm - but virtually no third party tool I am aware of uses the scaling parameter needed.

Kind regards,
Stefan