Tracker Update will not download v.9.5.367.0  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mike.parker@powerfulsignal.com
User

Tracker Update will not download v.9.5.367.0

Post by mike.parker@powerfulsignal.com »

When I try to use Tracker Update to upgrade PDF-XChange to version 9.5.367.0, the download proceeds to about 80%, then it fails.

(Windows 10 Professional. I’ve tried killing the Tracker process and restarting it; I’ve also rebooted my PC. The problem persists.)

tracker-update-fail.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Tracker Update will not download v.9.5.367.0  SOLVED

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, mike.parker@powerfulsignal.com

In some cases, security software or permissions issues can prevent the updater from downloading or running the installer. In these case, the simplest solution is to manually uninstall the software, restart your Device, and then download and run the latest installer, from your account page: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/login

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
User

Re: Tracker Update will not download v.9.5.367.0

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:09 pm In some cases, security software or permissions issues can prevent the updater from downloading or running the installer. In these case, the simplest solution is to manually uninstall the software, restart your Device, and then download and run the latest installer, from your account page: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/login
Thank you for your help. Will this erase my customizations, like the buttons on the Ribbon? If so, is there a way to export my customizations and import them after I install the latest version of the software?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Your settings should not be affected, as the preferences are stored in the registry and that is not touched during uninstall (In fact, the updater itself simply uninstalls and runs the new installer in its place automatically). But if you wish to backup your settings just in case, you can do so at any time via "File > manage settings > export settings".

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
User

Thank you. I was able to manually download and install v.9.5.367, and everything went smoothly.

Tracker Update is still showing that I have v.9.5.366 installed and that .367 is available for download. I assume that will fix itself once I reboot; correct?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Yes, if the updater window was left open during the reinstall process it can retain details like that in memory until the next restart. Generally speaking, it is recommended that you close all related application windows when reinstalling any program, to ensure issues like this do not occur.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
User

Thank you again for your help! Please feel free to mark this “solved,” close the ticket, etc.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Tracker Update will not download v.9.5.367.0

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
User

I’m sorry to re-open this request, but my Tracker Update software is still not working. I’ve manually updated PDF X-Change Editor to v.9.5.367.0 and rebooted my PC numerous times, but the updater still tries to download that same version and fails with "Error downloading file 'PDFXVE9.zip' / Updates were not downloaded."

Is there any way I can get Tracker Updater to recognize that I have the latest version?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

If the updater is not clearing its cache even after an update, that means that it was indeed running, or possibly already downloaded an installer and was ready to install it when the manual update occured. This can cause issues with the updater and lead to what you are seeing.
To rectify this, please first check your system tray and ensure that the updater is not running, if it is, right click on it and chose "exit" to close it. then completely uninstall ALL of our software (anything published by "Tracker Software" using the windows control panel.
After that, Please restart the PC and this time, open your file explorer navigate to:
C:\ProgramData\Tracker Software
In there, delete the "tracker update" folder, if it is present (if it is not, the uninstall completed properly and you can proceed).
After that, log into your user account and manually download and run the correct installer presented there.

After this is done, the updater itself should have a clean folder to work with, and so long as you do not manually run an installer overtop of the current installation, after the updater has found an update for you and prompted you to install it, this issue should not occur again.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com