Link target - goto page referenced by bookmark

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kai_jh
User

Link target - goto page referenced by bookmark

Post by kai_jh »

Hello Tracker-Support,
I have a feature request for the link tool:
In larger PDFs that contain different sections I consider it best practice to both include PDF Bookmarks and to also define hyperlinks to jump to these sections overlaying a printed (page content) TOC.
Typically I would create the bookmarks first. When I then use the link tool, select Advanced, select Go-to-page-in-document, I am missing the option to refer to the destination using bookmarks. I realize the ability to define named targets, but that is doubling the work that was already being done using bookmarks.
I would appreciate the ability to utilize the target of bookmarks by linking a hyperlink-target to that of a bookmark. Therefore I am positive you have an ID for every bookmark in the background. As this functionality of linking a hyperlink-goto-target to a bookmark-target should in an optimal way also work if the bookmark is renamed, moved within the list of bookmarks or edited to point to a different target. If those changes occur in the bookmark, the hyperlink's target behavior should of course undergo the same changes.
Regards
Kai
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Link target - goto page referenced by bookmark

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, kai_jh

Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately this is unlikely to be implemented due to how bookmarks work in PDF. Unlike some other formats they are not an object on the page, but instead are more like a map you would look at while driving to a new location.
They contain X/Y coordinates, a page number, and a zoom level (or a named destination, which is just another way of storing the same data).
PDFXEdit_dPDCAwUeDe.png
There is no method of indicating that a specific text passage is related to the bookmark, and without that information any link created automatically could end up being a single page wide link, on top of everything else on that page.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
kai_jh
User

Post by kai_jh »

Hello Daniel,
I have to admit, that I do not understand your reply. Or maybe my suggestion was not clear. Please see the below screenshot - the link target and your example of the bookmark target are exactly the same!
Capture.JPG
You also admitted, that it is possible to link the bookmark to a named destination, what is possible with the links too, but extra work.
To sum up: The "Mouse Up" | "Go to a Page in the Document" | "Edit Action List" dialogue are exactly the same for bookmarks and links. Why would it then not be possible to define a link to refer to the target (of these kinds we discussed) that is defined by a bookmark? If it is not possible, I have to accept that - though as I said struggle to understand that from the explanation in your reply.
Thanks
Kai
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello kai_jh,

The proper way to do this is to create a Named Destination, and then link both the bookmark and the link to the same named destination.
That way even if you e.g. move the page to a different place in the document (e.g. you add an extra chapter earlier in the file) - then the named destination will still point to your target page.

Unfortunately the PDF specification does not really allow a link to point to the 'bookmark target' unless that target is a named destination (in which case both the bookmark and the link separately point to the same named destination).

While technically it might be possible to allow you to select a bookmark, and copy it's target, there is no provision in the PDF specification that will allow us to capture a change in the bookmark later and update the link from it as well - so using named destinations is the way forward.

Kind regards,
Stefan
kai_jh
User

Post by kai_jh »

Thanks Stefan,
got it and can fully understand that argument.
Thanks for the explanation!
Regards
Kai
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello kai_jh,

Glad I could clarify things!

Kind regards,
Stefan
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:50 amThe proper way to do this is to create a Named Destination, and then link both the bookmark and the link to the same named destination.
When I want to make a Table of Contents item a link to a chapter title, I select the text of the chapter title in the Table of Contents, and I can select one of the items from the following "Edit Action List" / "Add":
  • Run a JavaScript
  • Go to a Page in the Document
  • Go to a Page in Another Document
  • Go to a Page in Embedded Document
  • Open a Web Link
  • Open a File
  • Execute a Command
  • Reset a Form
  • Submit a Form
  • Play a Sound
  • Go to a 3D/Multimedia View
  • Show/Hide a Field
  • Read an Article
Which item corresponds to the action "make the selected text a link to a Named Destination" (with a selection of Named Destinations available in the document)?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jensen Head,

I do not believe there is a tool to create both an named destination and bookmark in one action.

The main reason to use a Named destination vs a Bookmark I believe is that when you change the assembly of the document, say by adding pages, then the physical page numbers can be changed. That can break bookmarks that are based on the page number.

Named Destinations however will be retained even when the page number is changed. You can change regular bookmarks to named destinations using the "Convert to Named Destinations" tool on the bookmarks ribbon:

https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe ... ns_ed.html
image.png
Does that help?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:29 pmYou can change regular bookmarks to named destinations using the "Convert to Named Destinations" tool on the bookmarks ribbon
Hello Paul! Thank you for your reply. I seem to have phrased my answer poorly. I'll try to rephrase. I understand that using bookmarks for cross-references in the edited document is very inconvenient for the reasons listed earlier in this topic. Therefore, I decided to follow the advice to use named destinations for such links. But I don’t understand how to specify the previously created named destination when creating a link? That is, what application tool should you use so that when you click on a link in a document, the corresponding named range is displayed at the top of the screen? Can it appear under a different name in the application interface? That is, what application tool do I need to use so that when I click on a link in a document, the corresponding named range is displayed at the top of the screen? Can it appear under a different name in the application interface?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Jensen Head,

When you are editing the bookmark link to e.g. change it to point to a named destination - you should be presented with this dialogue:
image.png
And "Use Named Destination: " is a radio button option for this window. There you would see any existing ones, so you can have more than one bookmark point to the same named destination, and you can also create new ones.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Thank you, you answered my question. Here (https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?p=154611#p154611) I have given a list in which I need to select the second item ("Go to a Page in the Document"), and then select the second of the two options in the "Destination Properties" block.

Then, it seems to me, it is not obvious that to go to a specific place in the document, you need to select the "go to page" item. Perhaps the item "Go to a Page in the Document" should be renamed to something more general.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Jensen Head,

I've used that specific command quite a few times - so for me it is quite obvious what it does, but it might indeed not be clear if you see it for the first time. Do you have any suggestions that would make this easier to understand?

Also - given that it appears in between other commands that relate to other/embedded documents:
image.png
My way of thinking about the first of the three "Go to a page in..." options is for the "current document".

Kind regards,
Stefan
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Indeed, since Named Destination are used in more than one item in the list, the task of naming the items becomes more difficult. Maybe it makes sense to rename "Go to a Page in (...)" with "Go to a Place in (...)"?
  • Go to a Place in the Document
  • Go to a Place in Another Document
  • Go to a Place in Embedded Document
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Jensen Head,

Thanks for those suggestions. I will pass them along for consideration!

Kind regards,
Stefan
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jensen Head,

the Feature request has been raised, it is not a guarantee to deliver said feature but is is a sign that we are committed to looking into it seriously. While for internal use only, referencing RT#5778: Feature Request :: Link target - goto page referenced by bookmark here will help support staff getting a status report on the item.

This is considered a low priority request and ultimately when/if this is done will be entirely at the development team leader's discretion.

I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
smaziarz
User

Post by smaziarz »

Add my vote for this feature. Sooner rather than later!

It seems far more intuitive to me than navigation to a Named Destination. Perhaps that's because I don't ever recall creating or using a Named Destination, aside from when trying to create a link. Even though I've been using PDF XChange Editor for about a decade. I guess that's what happens when a programmer uses such a feature rich program and doesn't take the time to read the manual :D :wink:

From a UI perspective, I believe it should be added to the list of actions that pop up when you click to add an action. Or, add it as an option when you click on Go to a Page in the Document

Thanks for a truly amazing product!
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Thanks.

I will add your suggestion to the ticket.
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

I would take this a step further and ask for a Go to a Specific Location on a Page, as defined by co-ordinates.

Increasingly, I like working with large sheets made up of many multiples of merged pages utilizing much of the 200"x200" maximum PDF size and my Bookmarks take me to very precisely-defined location on pages. Like this 148"x120" sheet with maybe 1,000 pages, many with redundant headers and footers cropped-out, on it.
image.png
image.png (11.39 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
A click on a Bookmark lands me right where I want to be.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK

My apologies, but... isnt exactly that already available through the "go to a page in the docuemnt" function?
image.png
Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Yes, Daniel, obviously it is. My bad.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, PHK

No worries, I just wanted to be sure that you were not asking for something different than that.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello All,

I just got a notification that this ticket is now resolved and the change should already be present in build 367 released last week.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:40 pmWhile for internal use only, referencing RT#5778: Feature Request :: Link target - goto page referenced by bookmark here will help support staff getting a status report on the item.
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:25 pmthe change should already be present in build 367 released last week.
It seems that this was forgot to be mentioned in the PDF-XChange Editor Version History.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Jensen Head,

We do not always list all tickets that are resolved - as at times the list can get quite long!
When there is a forum topic like in this case - we would rather post a new reply in the topic.

Kind regards,
Stefan