When using the pencil tool with a stylus, dashed lines can't be drawn if Width Profile is set to Auto.  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rakunavi
User

When using the pencil tool with a stylus, dashed lines can't be drawn if Width Profile is set to Auto.

Post by rakunavi »

=== UPDATE ===================================================================
The issue reported below has been resolved in Ver 10.1.0 build 380.
I appreciate all the hard work and efforts of the support and development team.
==============================================================================

Hello all,

When using the pencil tool with the mouse, a dashed line can be drawn even if the Width Profile is still set to "Auto". However, with the stylus, it is not possible to draw a dashed line with the "Auto" setting, and the Width Profile must be changed to "Uniform". This is not consistent with mouse operation, and there might be some room for improvement. Note that stylus pen that supports pressure sensitivity is used.

If the boundary is set to a dashed line, setting the Width Profile other than "Uniform" will not work, so it would seem to make sense to lock and gray out the Width Profile so that the setting cannot be changed.

desktop.png

A verification video is attached for your reference.

Hoping that the above information will be of some help to you.
Thank you so much for your continued support.

Best regards,
rakunavi

- PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version: 9.5 build 367.0
- OS Version: Windows 11 Home 22H2 Build 22621.1265
- PC Model: Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL
Last edited by rakunavi on Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: When using the pencil tool with a stylus, dashed lines can't be drawn if Width Profile is set to Auto.

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, rakunavi

Thank you for the report, This is actually intended though, and will not likely be changing. The border style is only usable when the "straight" line mode is in use, which is what "auto" equates to when you are using the mouse or a non-pressure sensitive stylus.
image.png
image.png (8.92 KiB) Viewed 509 times
If any other stroke type is selected, the line can only be drawn as a solid line.

While you are correct that it may be more intuitive to grey out or lock one feature while the other is selected, due to the ability to swap dynamically between mouse and multiple different styluses, doing so would also cause considerably more confusion. As such, this is unlikely to change. Nonetheless, I will pass this along to the Dev team for their consideration.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
rakunavi
User

Re: When using the pencil tool with a stylus, dashed lines can't be drawn if Width Profile is set to Auto.

Post by rakunavi »

Hi Daniel, thank you for your comment.

I guess the answer to what kind of UI is best depends on whether you consider Border or Width Profile to be the primary setting. I think Border is the primary setting and Width Profile is just a secondary setting subordinate to Border. I imagine that the order of Border and Width Profile from the top in the ribbon UI implicitly represents the relationship between primary and secondary. Therefore, I think it is even okay to completely erase the dropdown component of the Width Profile at the same time as making the Border a dashed line.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, rakunavi

Fair point, I believe that the border object is "below" the width setting (which is always at the top of this section) for consistency with other tools format tabs, instead of being "above" the stroke style with any hierarchical intent, but I see how you could interpret it that way.
In any case, I have passed the idea along to the Dev team for consideration. We will simply have to wait and see if they choose to make any changes here.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hi Daniel, thank you for your comment.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:18 pm Fair point, I believe that the border object is "below" the width setting (which is always at the top of this section) for consistency with other tools format tabs, instead of being "above" the stroke style with any hierarchical intent, but I see how you could interpret it that way.
Although we have to wait for the developer's judgment, we could also imagine the order of importance of each element from the order of the properties. In the properties of Comment Tools, including Pencil tool, Border or Border Style is displayed higher than Width or Width Profile.

• properties.png
    properties.png (5.94 KiB) Viewed 446 times

If the "Border" setting, which has the a high priority in the properties, is changed to dashed lines, it is not surprising that users think they can draw dashed lines without changing other settings, as long as the Width Profile is set to "Auto", which is expected to have some clever functionality.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: When using the pencil tool with a stylus, dashed lines can't be drawn if Width Profile is set to Auto.  SOLVED

Hello, rakunavi

Thank you for the additional input. I have ensured that the Dev team saw this, and hopefully they will take it into consideration in the future.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com