Font Selection

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Font Selection

Post by Arnold »

Using Text Properties -> Character -> Font brings up a list of selectable fonts. The Semi-Bold, Light, Black, etc. weights of certain fonts are restricted to only the italic versions. In the attached screen shot the differences between Source Sans 3 and Source Sans Pro are easy to see.

Source Sans 3 is an open source font downloaded from the repository on Github, and all weights were installed from the same zip file. If I look in the properties of the individual weights, they all seem to have the same permissions. While I cannot use the Source Sans 3 Semi-Bold non italic version in Pdf Xchange, I can use it in other programs like Word and Wordperfect.

I am using version 367.0 on Windows 7. This did not start with this version though, I had noticed it before but just now realized the significance of it. Is there a setting that I am unaware of that would make these upright weights available in Pdf Xchange also?

Thank you.

2023-03-06 16_11_02-.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Font Selection

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Arnold

I must say that this has me a tad confused, To my knowledge, Italic is not normally a separately selectable font face, but instead a style you apply to the relevant font face. I have downloaded source Sans Pro from here, and Source Sans 3 from here. Surely enough the Editor does not seem to even show the italic versions, despite them being installed. Instead they are applied when I select one of the main faces and then flag it as italic.

Despite installing these collections, these are the only options I see within the Editor, as the rest are applied with the text properties:
image.png
I should also note that all of these fonts seem to work as expected (click to view animated gif):
tWxeYIoalP.gif
It may be that the versions you acquired from GitHub were the "variable" versions of the fonts, and while we can use those to some degree, static fonts are more reliable for these endeavors. This issue may be resolved by installing the fonts from the locations I linked above.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I installed the fonts from the official Github repository not from Google fonts. I generally do that so that I have the latest versions. For Source Sans 3 that would be 3.046 released on 09/07/22. They are definitely the static versions. Sourcs Sans Pro came from there also and is version 2.045.

Were you using Windows 11, 10 or 7?

https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-sans/releases/tag/3.046R
TTF-source-sans-3.046R.zip
(2.02 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Arnold

It seems that the google download also has the latest version, as I do have 3.046 on this end as well. That said I am indeed runnign windows 10 on this end, and that could have some effect on the process. I presume you do not have any windows 10 devices to run a quick test on?
I do not have an up to date windows 7 installation to test with at the moment, but I will be getting one setup for testing early next week so I can try to reproduce this issue there.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

This is not confined to Source Sans 3. I also see the same thing with Open Sans, with Calibri Light and even with Segoe UI Semi-Bold, etc.. I will test on a Windows 10 machine. I have 3 of them, but this Windows 7 laptop is my workhorse which I am constantly using.

The other thing is that I do not see this with Word or WordPerfect. Maybe something is screwed up on this computer.

Thank you.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Arnold

Hopefully I am able to reproduce it once I have a Win7 VM up and running here. If I can, I will be able to show the dev team and we can see what we can do. In the meantime, I do look forward to hearing if your windows 10 test is successful.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

On 2 computers with Windows 10 I did not see this problem. It is very likely a problem with this computer more so than Windows 7. Unless someone else encounters this, it is probably not worth the time to investigate.

Source Sans 3 is my new favorite font, but I can just as easily use Source Sans Pro in PDFX. It is an older release, but other than different default line spacing, they are almost indistinguishable.

Thank you for looking into this.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Arnold

So far my tests haven't been able to reproduce the issue, even on a windows 7 device. The fonts seem to work find on this end with a fresh and up to date windows 7 installation... Have you tried removing these fonts from your win7 device and then reinstalling them fresh (instead of using the "replace" function that windows offers when installing a similarly named font)?

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I have tried a few things like that. I will give it another try. Thank you.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Font Selection

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com