Office Plugin

This forum is for plugins used in the PDF-XChange Editor only.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bences
User

Office Plugin

Post by bences »

Hi, I PDF-XChange Editor 7.0 Build 328.2 and am struggling to get the Office addins working.

I have been into for example "Word>Options>Add-ins" and looked for the PDF Xchange add in however there is nothing showing even under the Disabled and Manage COM Add-ins.

Any idea?

Thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Office Plugin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Bences,

The office addins are part of our Standard printer, thus unless you have installed the PDF-Xchange Standard printer, or our PDF-XChange PRO suite, these options will not be available. Note that to be used they also require an active PDF-XChange Standard license, which can be bought standalone, or within PRO, but is not covered by Editor, Editor Plus, or PDF-Tools licenses.

Can you please verify that you have one of the packages that should include our standard printer installed, and then try again?
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
bences
User

Post by bences »

Hiya,

Thanks for this clarification, I have now noticed the comparisons on your website in which claims we do not have the add in option as it is not available in the Lite printer.

*We only have the PDF XChange Editor licence.

Thanks
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi bences,

The plugins are specific to the Editor and 'slot' in only to the Editor. The add-ins apply to MS Office applications and Internet Explorer, and are to provide a better conversion to PDF with options that cannot be offered by a printer. You can view a list of the Editor's plugins under Ctrl + K --> Plugins (provided you opted to install them).

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:D

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Sabba
User

Re: Office-Plugin

Post by Sabba »

Hi there
When I export an email with the Outlook plugin, the fonts in the PDF are displayed too small.
I want the export to look the same as when I create a PDF using the print function.
Where can you make the settings for it. ?

Thank you very much for your help.
Attachments
Export aus Outlook.pdf
(8.45 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Druck aus Outlook.pdf
(74.01 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Sabba,

Thank you for the files, I have managed to reproduce this issue and created a bug report for it:
RT#5088: outlook addin scales converted emails down significantly.

Unfortunately I do not have a workaround for you currently, beyond choosing to print to our Standard or Lite printer, instead of using the convert function directly. Hopefully we can resolve this in a short time, but I cannot provide a timeline at the moment.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
trbrown
User

Post by trbrown »

Has this issues been resolved. I am experiencing the same problem. Also, is checked the convert attachments in the Outlook/pdfExchange tab/Settings/advanced settings and it also appears to not be working. If it is working, what does this function do?
Outlook pdf Attachments.pdf
(8.86 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, trbrown

unfortunately no, this ticket has not yet been resolved. It does have a developer assigned now, so it is still being worked on, but I cannot provide a timeline for it currently.

As for the "convert attachments" function, this will take any compatible attachments in the source email, and copy them into the output document's "attachments" pane which can be opened by pressing Ctrl+Shift+A.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
rontastic
User

Post by rontastic »

I know this thread is more than two years old. But while testing the functionality, it seems like this issue still persists. Or is this due to the Free version installed?

We have purchased licenses for the PDF XChange Editor and are now looking for a solution for converting emails (including attachments) in MS Outook into PDF files. I installed PDF Xchange Standard (Free) in order to test the Outlook plug in. "Convert attachments" is checked in the "Settings". However, the convertion of the attachments does not take place. Instead, these are exported in the original respective formats.

Also, is there any way to to export/merge the email message including the attachments into one PDF-File?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Rontastic,

thanks for the post. Do you have "Convert Attachments" enabled in the Preferences?
image(2).png
image(1).png
You should see a "Save" dialogue open as soon as you hit the "Convert" button:
image.png
Do you see any of this?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
rontastic
User

Post by rontastic »

Hi,

thank you for the quick response. Yes, exactly the same settings as I‘ved stated above. However, it doesn’t seem to work.

The other thing is, it’s not even possible to drag exported attachments (not even PDFs) from the attachment pane to the main document. Exported attachments still have to be saved explicitly. Only then can PDFs be dragged to the PDF XChange Editor, which is just not an efficient workflow. If we were able to export the email message together with all the attachments (jpg, doc, pdf, etc.) into a single PDF file, then we would purchase licenses for PDF Xchange Standard to complement our PDF Xchange Editor.

Ron
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

HI Ron,
Yes, exactly the same settings as I‘ved stated above. However, it doesn’t seem to work.
so what does happen? You are 100% sure it is not a "Save" dialogue opening in the background behind other Windows? I have seen tat before where Windows does not bring it to the foreground. If it definitely is simply "doing nothing" I will need to consult the devs for what to do because thi sis not a known issue.

Regarding the behaviour of the attachments. Do yo have a sample you can illustrate with?

Also - I just learned that the option to "Convert attachments" needs to be renamed "Include attachments" as it is not designed to convert them. I spoke to the developer concerned and he agrees. We will change that in a future version to say "Include attachments" as it does not convert them.

Sorry for the confusion there.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

On further discussion about this it has been decided that we should indeed make the option to convert attachments to PDF, as well as the current option to include them.

We will make an option such that will convert those items we can, leave those we cannot unchanged. So if you have the Office suite installed, then Office documents would convert, if not they would remain in the original format. RT#6417: Feature Request :: Outlook Add-In :: Convert attachments to PDF.

There will likely be controls over what formats to convert or ignore. I do not have an ETA fore delivery of this feature, ultimately it will be at the discretion of the development team leader.

I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
rontastic
User

Post by rontastic »

Hi Paul,

I see, that explains the bahavior I get. I am of course expecting the attachments to be converted as well. And yes, I do get the "Save" dialog, but it only converts the email message to PDF, which would just be like printing the e-mail using "Microsoft Print to PDF". The attachments are exported ("included") in their original formats (docx, pdf, jpg, etc.).

Looks like the issue is not an issue at all. It is rather the misleading term "convert attachments", which led me to believe, the attachments would be converted into PDF, too. Although, the advanced settings also show "compression level" and "PDF specification", which made me assume as said. Unfortunately, this means PDF XChange Standard is not what we are looking for to complement the PDF XChange Editor in use. We have long found the a "Plug-in" that would do the job, but it would have been great to also get it from Tracker Software (PDF XChange) :).

Thank you for the clarification.

Kind regards,
Ron
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello rontastic,

Yes you are correct that the current wording is a bit confusing. We will be changing that to "Include attachments", and the actual conversion will come once the ticket Paul created has been implemented. So while not immediately - in the future you would have all the PDF tools you need from us! :)

Kind regards,
Stefan