Insert/extract pages causes performance issues

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Orysk
User

Insert/extract pages causes performance issues

Post by Orysk »

Hello, I believe I am getting the same weird case here.
[Topic split from another by moderator. Original topic here: viewtopic.php?t=39848 ]

Whenever I cut and paste pages of one file into another pdf file with pdf-xchange, the file size increases dramatically and the document becomes slower to navigate.

It seems like it also happens when extracting pages to new files from such documents.

I'm having a hard time readily reproducing this.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Insert/extract pages causes performance issues

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Orysk,

thanks for the report. When you say you are having trouble reproducing this, does that mean that the same document will sometimes navigate slowly and sometimes not?

The file size increase would be expected. Have you tried to "Save as Optimized" to clean up/reduce the size of your documents before copying content?

Similarly, the merged document that navigates slowly, is that improved by doing a "Save As Optimized"?
image.png
image.png (18.02 KiB) Viewed 523 times
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Orysk
User

Post by Orysk »

Sorry for the confusion, the same document will reliably have the same problem, what I haven't been able to consistently reproduce is creating a new document with the issues.

Saving as optimized does reduce the file size slightly but not to the size pages are originally.

For example I have a document where I inserted a single page with a file size of ~500KB, if I extract that page from the merged document it is ~4000KB, if I save as optimized it is ~3000KB (these are rough numbers going off memory), I can check some other documents for better examples.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Orysk,

If it is possible please share with us one or two of the files you are having this issue with.

I'm asking you this because we are unable to reproduce the problem with any of our files.

Also please tell us what version is your PDF Editor?

You may see this information in the PDF Editor's Help -> About menu.

Regards.
Orysk
User

Post by Orysk »

I am on version 9.0.352.0

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can share some of these documents as they have proprietary information. And also unfortunately I seem to be unable to reproduce this on new documents. I'll see if I can reproduce the problem on a generic document and get back to you.
Sean - Tracker
Site Admin

Post by Sean - Tracker »

Hi Orysk,

Okay, thanks - we look forward to assisting you in resolving this issue when you are able to supply us with an appropriate sample document.

Kind regards,
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623