Merging All Text Boxes  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

tryingto-remember
User

Merging All Text Boxes

Post by tryingto-remember »

Hi,

I've managed to rig a page to generate itself quite long.

There are several block of text on the page each bordered by it's own "edit" box when I click on Edit Text.

Is there any command or way I could select these text boxes to combine themselves into one?

Interestingly, I've noticed that text boxes seem to have a bit of a will of their own. When dragged or growing into proximity with one another they like to combine.

Is there any command that I can run, or way I could select a series of

stacked
on
of
each
other

separate text boxes to combine? Such that the text became one loooooong text bordered element?

Relative to the above observation of how text boxes can combine - I did notice that I could PHYSICALLY drag them next to each other, and they would merge - kind of like two drops of water. That was GREAT! But, only thing is there's too many of them to do that all by hand.

Is there any automated way I could do it - or by-hand way to select them and then hit the

"Combine"

button?
Thanks!

Tryingto-remember
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Merging All Text Boxes

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello tryingto-remember,

There isn't really such a "combine" button, but can we please see a sample of one such document as there are several types of text objects inside the PDF specification - so maybe there will be some workaround that I can recommend once I've seen the file!

Kind regards,
Stefan
tryingto-remember
User

Hi!

Thank you! One like this one attached. :D
Pseudo-Plutarch-1874.pdf
(68.39 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Thanks!

Tryingto-remember
tryingto-remember
User

This one has just two block, but it's structurally identical to what I have, but mine has scores of boxes one on top of each other.
Thanks!

Tryingto-remember
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Merging All Text Boxes  SOLVED

Hello tryingto-remember,

Thanks for the sample file!
No - I am afraid that there's no way for you to influence how those boxes are recognized - In fact your sample file actually consists of tens of separate text objects - but we are grouping them for you in two 'boxes' for easier editing:
image.png
Kind regards,
Stefan
tryingto-remember
User

Thank you.
Thanks!

Tryingto-remember
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

tryingto-remember wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:20 pm This one has just two block, but it's structurally identical to what I have, but mine has scores of boxes one on top of each other.
If you move the two blocks just a tiny bit closer together, they will be merged into a single block.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello David.P,

Yes - they might but that will also alter the initial formatting of the document which is likely not desired :)

Kind regards,
Stefan