Scaling: Activate via keyboard; edit order

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MatthiasHecht
User

Scaling: Activate via keyboard; edit order

Post by MatthiasHecht »

Good day,

We often have to measure distances in PDF plans. For this purpose we have defined 7 scales (see screenshot).

Before the distances can be measured, we currently have to manually select one of these 7 scales using the mouse. Then we have to use the command "Use settings as default".

I want to simplify this manual work with a script. One script per scaling. However, this does not work because a scaling (see screenshot) cannot be activated by keyboard (Enter, space bar etc.). Only a click with the mouse works at the moment!

-> Please add the function that a scaling can be activated by keyboard command (enter, space etc.).

Another suggestion for improvement: under "Manage dimensions" please add the function to move the different scalings up or down or to arrange them in order.

Best thanks
Matthias

PDF-xChange Editor Plus Version 9.5 build 336.0 64bit, Window 10 64bit
Screenshot01.JPG
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Scaling: Activate via keyboard; edit order

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Matthias,

good news! The devs agree with you and will add keyboard shortcuts, and hopefully also a way to organize that list.

While for internal use only, referring to RT#6383: Feature Request :: Editor :: Keyboard shortcuts and custom order for measurement scales. here will mean any support staffer should be able to get you a status report. I do not have an ETA for delivery of the feature, it will be at the discretion of the development team.

enjoy.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
MatthiasHecht
User

Post by MatthiasHecht »

Hello Paul,

Thank you for the positive feedback.

Regards
Matthias
Sean - Tracker
Site Admin

Post by Sean - Tracker »

:)
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623
jotess
User

Post by jotess »

+1! This sounds good, I have been wishing this feature, too.
One more suggestion: I would like to be able to put toolbar buttons in my toolbar to select the scale with one click. And/or: Have a scale toolbar open automatically when selecting the measure tool.

Best regards
Joachim
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, jotess

If you use our "customize UI feature, you can copy the "scale" dropdown to another more accessible location with a Ctrl+drag:
PDFXEdit_YlHJEC6I7T.gif
We are unlikely to offer an option where the scale menu opens automatically upon selection, as that could be rather annoying for users who only infrequently change scales.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
jotess
User

Post by jotess »

Thank you for the hint.
What I meant what might open automatically was not the scale drop-down menu that already exists. My first wish was to have the possibility to have designated toolbar buttons for different scales. And the you could arrange all or some of them into one toolbar. This might be a new custom toolbar. The next step would be that such a toolbar automatically opens (like a toolbar with table related commands opens e.g. in a word processor as soon as you create or select a table).
That second step might be too special. And it would maybe only be suitable for people like me who use the old-fashioned toolbar UI. It might not work with the ribbon UI. Wait, no, in the ribbon UI it might work even better. In these ribbons there is so much unused, blank space, there these buttons could easily be added while the tool is active.
Best regards
Joachim
lev
User

Post by lev »

You can easily create custom scales and place them on the Comments tab.
image.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello,

For clarification, what Lev has done here is accomplished by creating custom tool styles, as detailed in this article: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... nge-Editor
If you create your own custom measurements styles, you can also assign individual scales to them through the styles menu.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
jotess
User

Post by jotess »

Wow, I hadn't noticed that my self-created styles appear in the list of commands that I can place in the toolbars. That's great! A slight shortcoming is that the buttons look all the same and I don't want to turn on text in toolbars because it takes too much space.
Btw, I tried this and realized that text is only turned on in that one toolbar that I had just created for the measurement tools. Not in any pre-existing toolbar. Is this intended?
Best regards
Joachim
jotess
User

Post by jotess »

Sorry, forget my last question, I should have spent a bit more time to explore the mechanics of the toolbar button texts.
I found out: IF there is a text entry in the "Title" field in the Command Properties, this is what is displayed. And the title is what I enter as a name in the Comment Style Palette.
What I have not found out in the help section of your site is what the "Short Title" and the "Tooltip" work like. I can't edit these fields.
Best regards
Joachim
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello jotess,

The Tooltip is what would appear if you hover your mouse over your new custom style button:
image.png
image.png (15.77 KiB) Viewed 631 times
Kind regards,
Stefan
jotess
User

Post by jotess »

Well, yes, I know what tool tips are. But there are these two fields that I can't edit.
Best regards
Joachim
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, jotess

At the moment, these field names are not intended to be edited, one option that you have, if you wish to reduce the "size" of your toolbars overall, and not show the text for all tools, is to disable the icons for these tools individually, this will force them to show the text/name of the tool, instead of the icon:
(Click this image to play animated Gif)
PDFXEdit_hADV7SRhAS.gif
I hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
SJH
User

Post by SJH »

> But there are these two fields that I can't edit.
>> At the moment, these field names are not intended to be edited

*Many* thanks to Joachim and Daniel for putting me out of my misery. I have spent a great deal of time trying to figure out why I couldn't edit those fields. I thought I remembered having done so in the past. But couldn't remember how, nor otherwise, find a solution. Discovered this post, and was surprised to find out, there is none. One of my musings was, that I had created a 'New...' 'Command' using an existing 'ID', in order to specify desired, Title/Short-Title/Tooltips. It would seem, however, that the 'New...' button was "not intended to be used" either, so that wasn't the answer.

One of the reasons, I wanted to be able to make changes, was to reduce length of descriptions improvng my toolbars. Another reason was to fix weird names, that I thought, I had messed up, when editing. But it turns out that I couldn't have messed them up, since I couldn't have edited them. My best guess is that, my last PDF-XChange update, auto added content to the end of Titles and auto chopped content from the beginning of Titles to meet a length requirement.

Since I had been hoping to make, shorter, sensible Titles, it wasn't a result I wanted, but you did resolve the issue for me.

So thanks again,
SJH
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, SJH

I am sorry we cannot yet offer the solution you are looking for, but at least our discussion here was able to offer some relief from your search.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com