Zoomed text rendering artifacts

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Jensen Head
User

Zoomed text rendering artifacts

Post by Jensen Head »

When smoothly changing the page display scale, the edited text is displayed with artifacts: excessive pixelation, black outlines, rectangles, etc.

Zoomed text rendering artifacts.webm — https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c3UIB5FgmlcIKxr2ayakGNdSaHZDhfAo/view
Zoomed text rendering artifacts.pdf
(69.72 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
PDF-XChange Pro 9.5.366.0, Microsoft Windows 10.0.19045.2546
Intel Core i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 745, 32 GB DDR4.
Sean - Tracker
Site Admin

Re: Zoomed text rendering artifacts

Post by Sean - Tracker »

Hi Jensen Head,

This document scrolls normally when I test it on my machine.

Assuming you do not have customized program settings that you want to keep, could you please try resetting your settings via File - Manage Settings - Reset Settings, and see if this resolves the issue?

Kind regards,
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

I'd rather not risk losing all my editor settings just yet if something goes wrong during the export and subsequent import of the settings. I tested the same tool ("Continuous Zoom") on another PC with PDF-XChange Editor Plus 9.5 build 365.0, Windows 10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1060. Artifacts are present — https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I3plVafG2DWi1rK5bWfo6YHlfi2Py1zK/view
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI Jensen Head,

I will ask one of the experts to take a look, but I am going to suggest that this is likely caused by this particular font having those borders that follow the font. Do you see it with any other font?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Fultifont test text.pdf
(80.82 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
— artifacts along the borders of smoothly scalable letters are observed in all fonts from the new test file.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Jensen Head,

I've tested on a slower laptop that I have around - and indeed I can see the rasterization while we are preparing the higher res rendering, but with the Editor that is still much faster than with Adobe. With their products I was seeing x2 slower rendering times compared with the Editor on the same machine - so it is a bit of a 'necessary evil' to show the lower res result while we render the new higher resolution. In the past we were showing blank - which is much worse. A faster machine makes these almost unnoticeable (my daily workstation).

Kind regards,
Stefan
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

I understand. Artifacts when rendering letter borders are associated with a too slow processor. It is a pity that even the mobile Intel Core Intel Core i7-10850H is not enough for this:
_
Intel Core i7-10850H and PDF-XChange Editor.png
_
Which Processor Rating (MIPS) in the 7-zip test [1] would you recommend to ensure that vector fonts in your application always display without pixelation? Or, perhaps, this, after all, is eliminated by optimization?

[1] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fBPxWAP13WwT-r0oqfseFl3vXRaSUSc4LU3ERzyegwg/edit
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

Hi, Jensen Head

Have you tried to set Synchronous Page Rendering to Auto? It is strongly recommended to use it against two other modes.
Synchronous rendering (Yes) will always show you fully rendered page, without any upscaling artifacts. Cost of this may be not acceptable - Editor UI will be not accessible until all needed rendering is done, so if page take a minute to render - you will wait a minute before doing anything else. This may be acceptable for simple pages, but not for complex one like CAD drawings, non-scanned magazines, etc.
Asynchronous rendering (No) does not block UI for page rendering at all, but you will see white background or scaled results of previous rendering almost each time when you zoom in/out.
Auto mode use synchronous mode where possible, but for pages that renders longer than 500 ms it will switch asynchronous mode. So, for simple pages it will show you results almost instantly, without any blinking, and for others - it will not block UI longer than 500 ms.
Kind regards,
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Thanks a lot for the clarification! I didn't know about the existence of "Preferences" / "Page Display" ("Page Display Options") / "Rendering..." / "Advanced" setting. Perhaps to better understand it without having to consult the help system, it would be useful to add a button with a question mark and a description of this setting?
_
Screenshot_2023-02-09_14-27-23.png
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Jensen Head,

The default value for this option is set to Auto, and should work for the majority of people.
We try to avoid adding such info options for the less frequently changed settings - as this adds to the complexity, and information overload for someone new to our products trying to get to know them initially. That's why for now this feature would stay explained only in the help/manuals and not with an info button next to it.

Kind regards,
Stefan