Open multiple PDFs = please do not show a warning message

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MatthiasHecht
User

Post by MatthiasHecht »

Hello,

i have a question to PDF-Tools (Version 8.0.331), the example is the from me generated tool:
Seiten zuschneiden v1.zip
(Seiten zuschneiden v1.pdtex)
(1.61 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Screenshot:
Screenshot.JPG

In Step 1 of the tool I will pick multiple PDFs.
Step 5 shall open those multiple Files in PDF-XChange Editor

A warning message interrupts the workflow. What to do, that this warning message will not show up?
Warning Message.JPG
Thank you!
Matthias Hecht
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Open multiple PDFs = please do not show a warning message

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Matthias,

Unfortunately there is no way to suppress this warning at the momen, however I have put in a request to add a "do not ask me again" checkbox to this dialog in the future.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
MatthiasHecht
User

Post by MatthiasHecht »

Hello Daniel,

thank you!

Greetings
Matthias
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
MatthiasHecht
User

Post by MatthiasHecht »

Hello Daniel,

after I updated to version 8.0.336.0 there seams to be the possibility to get rid of the warning message, by klick at "don´t show this messege again".
Screenshot.JPG
But activating this "don´t show this messege again" has no effect!
By the next run of the Tool, the warning message "Are you sure, that all files shell be open?" still apreas and interrupt the workflow.

Please check the function of the "don´t show this messege again" possibility.

Thank you!
Matthias
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, MatthiasHecht

Thank you for the report, I have forwarded this to our Dev team for investigation. I cannot promise that this will be resolved before the release of 337, but we can hope.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, MatthiasHecht

To follow up on this issue. Both myself and the Dev team have bene unable to reproduce this. Just as a quick test, can you verify if other settings changes in PDF-Tools are being remembered? As an example, open PDF-Tools, then make a change to one of the checkboxes in the "choose input Files" action of any tool. Now close and reopen the software and see if that change was remembered.

Please let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
MatthiasHecht
User

Post by MatthiasHecht »

Hello Daniel,

Sorry for my late response. I didn't see your answer in the forum earlier.

Unfortunately, my problem still exists. Tested today with PDF-Tools version 9.5 build 366.0.

I have carried out your test:
PDF-Tools started > selected a tool > changed the properties of "Select source file" = this change is saved.

Because all our users do not have Windows Administrator rights, I have also tried the following: giving my user Windows Administrator rights = does not solve my problem.

Please check the function "Do not show this message again".

Thanks a lot
Matthias

System: Windows 10 64bit
Vladimir G - Tracker Dev
User

Post by Vladimir G - Tracker Dev »

Hello Daniel,

I still cannot reproduce this issue.

Can you please describe your workflow? Do you configure the tool once or import it every time before running? Do you run the tool via a graphical interface or via a command line interface?

If you try to run the tool a second time without the application restart after choosing the 'Do not show this message again' option, will the warning appear again?

That's a silly question, but do you press the 'Yes' button along with choosing the 'Do not show this message again' option?

Since your tool export was from the old version of PDF-Tools, could you please make a new tool export? You can remove all sensitive information if needed.

Best regards,
Vladimir Goshko
Software Developer
Tracker Software Products
MatthiasHecht
User

Post by MatthiasHecht »

Hello Vladimir,

thank you for your feedback. Below are my answers/testing.

“Can you please describe your workflow?”
The initial preparation:
0a. In "PDF Tools" right-click on my tool -> select "Create shortcut on desktop". This 1. creates a shortcut on the desktop and 2. makes this shortcut quickly accessible through the Windows search (see step 2 below).
0b. PDF-Tools asks me about "Settings for creating links". I confirm "Ask for source files every time". See screenshot1 in the attachment.

The normal workflow:
1. I press the "Windows" key on the keyboard. This opens the Windows 10 Start menu.
2. I type in "zuschn". This finds the tool.
3. I start the tool by pressing Enter. See screenshot 2 in the attachment.
(1.-3. is faster with open windows than minimising all windows and activating the shortcut on the desktop with the mouse).
4. The prompt "Open files" appears. I navigate to the PDFs using the mouse and keyboard. Select them and confirm with "Open".
5a. Because of step 4 of the tool (see screenshot3 in the attachment), the Windows window of the sources opens.
5b. Parallel to 5a, the query appears whether several files should be displayed. See screenshot 4 in the attachment. Unfortunately, I have to confirm this query manually each time. I first select "Do not show this message again" and then click on "Yes".

“Do you configure the tool once or import it every time before running? Do you run the tool via a graphical interface or via a command line interface?”
Please see the description above.

What I have now tried, without improvement:
> Start the tool via the desktop link with the mouse.
> Start the tool via cmd ("C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools\PDFXTools.exe" /RunTool "{FA4742E4-EFEA-4FC6-898CA26F9AADBF1D}").

What I have now tried, with improvement:
> Open the PDF Tools software and start my tool from there.
Here the query whether several files should be opened does not appear again after the 1st confirmation!

However, as soon as I start the tool again via the desktop link with the mouse, or via the Windows key, the query appears again as to whether I want to open several files!

“If you try to run the tool a second time without the application restart after choosing the 'Do not show this message again' option, will the warning appear again? “
Please see the description above.

“That's a silly question, but do you press the 'Yes' button along with choosing the 'Do not show this message again' option?”
I first select "Do not show this message again" and then click on "Yes".

“Since your tool export was from the old version of PDF-Tools, could you please make a new tool export? You can remove all sensitive information if needed.”
I have just recreated the tool (name: "Seiten zuschneiden v2") and exported it. The export is attached to this message (PDF Tools Exchange.pdtex).

Please check whether it is possible to save the user input (always display several files) when calling the tool via the desktop link.

Alternatively, I can also programme a script that starts the tool via a keyboard shortcut. However, I do not know how the PDF tool could be started directly. Starting "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools\PDFXTools.exe" /RunTool "{FA4742E4-EFEA-4FC6-898CA26F9AADBF1D}" does not work as desired, see above.

Many thanks
Matthias
Attachments
PDF-Tools Exchange.zip
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Screenshots.pdf
(389.1 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Vladimir G - Tracker Dev
User

Post by Vladimir G - Tracker Dev »

Hello, Matthias

Thanks to your explanations, I was able to reproduce the issue. I hope it will be fixed as soon as possible.

For now, I can suggest you a simple workaround:
1. Turn off 'Multi-Threaded Processing Mode'.
2. Run the tool once. It can be some kind of a dummy tool run using any documents, but you have to reach the step with the popup warning, select "Do not show this message again" and then click on "Yes".
3. Turn on 'Multi-Threaded Processing Mode'.

After that, you can run the tool in any convenient way and the warning should not appear.

Please, try a workaround and write here if it works.

Thanks for your help and detailed explanations!

Best regards,
Vladimir Goshko
Software Developer
Tracker Software Products
MatthiasHecht
User

Post by MatthiasHecht »

Hello Vladimir,

the workaround works, thanks.

Best regards,
Matthias