Toolbars - One More, on Comments Pane at the Bottom?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

shade-cabin-hammock
User

Post by shade-cabin-hammock »

Hi,

Is there any way I could add a second toolbar to the Comments pane, either at the bottom (ideally) or as even a second row at the top? Here's what I have now with a toolbar at the top. Also, PLEASE add as MANY steps as you can for achieving the outcome as I must confess - I have NO IDEA how I got that toolbar to BE there - though it is MEGA useful for me. Also, not clear if it is a Toolbar or a Quick toolbar. I do know it is there, though ! :P :D

2022-12-20_19-24-14-031.png
2022-12-20_19-24-14-031.png (25.66 KiB) Viewed 751 times

Sincerely,

SCH
Sincerely,

SCH
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Toolbars - One More, on Comments Pane at the Bottom?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello shade-cabin-hammock,

Please take a look at the
comments_toolbars_customization.zip
(4.09 MiB) Downloaded 37 times
short video attached.
I tried to make it longer - but it was getting over 5MB and the forums were not allowing me to attach it.

So first you need to open the Customize Toolbars window. Just right click any empty toolbar space and select the "Customize Toolbars" at the bottom of the list. The red circle on my screenshot below show the mouse position where I right clicked:
image.png
Once that is done - you can locate the commands you need, and add them to the existing toolbar, or create a new one.
I had to move the existing toolbar to the vertical before I could create the second one, but once you have two - you can then move them independently as shown in the video.

I am also showing you how you can show/hide the text part for a command.

More on customizing toolbars you can read here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... the-Editor

Kind regards,
Stefan
shade-cabin-hammock
User

Hi Stefan,

Oh, MAN! Just jumping into a Zoom meeting for... 40 minutes! <cries> BUT!!! This is AWESOME! Can't thank you enough. I watched the video already - BLESS you for that, mate! - and I paused and said... "Review meeting notes? Try toolbar? Meeting notes? Toolbar?" :D! Ha! Boss walks in! :D! I'll post as soon as I get a chance. REALLY HELPFUL! (Saw the TABS you've got on the panes, too! THAT'S boss! :D )

Sincerely,

SCH
Sincerely,

SCH
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

for more toolbar real estate, may I suggest to drag and arrange the toolbar vertically, e.g. in the bookmarks pane:

HTH & Cheers
David
--
Edit -- Just saw that Stefan already mentioned this:
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:08 pm I had to move the existing toolbar to the vertical before I could create the second one
Last edited by David.P on Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Happy to hear the video is useful.
If you want - you can crank it all the way to 11 - and have toolbars on all 4 sides of the comments pane:
image(1).png
And yes - I have two collections of panes on top of one another - so that I can see the names of the tabs for each pane and quickly switch between them:
image.png

@David - thanks for your suggestion - I have shown that in the video that the buttons can be arranged vertically, and you can have buttons on all four sides if desired :)
And in addition to tools specific to e.g. the comments pane - there are also the Quick Tools and you can create custom vertical toolbars as well that are available to the side of panes:
image(2).png
Kind regards,
Stefan
shade-cabin-hammock
User

AY - MAYzing! Heyyyy...look at THIS:

2022-12-20_21-50-47-125.png
2022-12-20_21-50-47-125.png (4.58 KiB) Viewed 726 times
Look at all that open space! Tip of the iceberg, fellows! :D

David! Thank you for chipping in , too! You're use applications are ALWAYS highly valued and insightful. You've got the UI REALLY easy to look at!

Stefan - WOW! I'm wrangling about 5 inter-related documents and was a bit in the weeds. The mind DOES fairly well boggle with what can be done. You good folks have REALLY tricked things out! WELL DONE. THANK YOU kindly for taking the time to explain how to get that done and for the clear illustrations.

Sincerely,

SCH
Sincerely,

SCH
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Many thanks for the kind words!
Always happy to see the such Ah-MAYzing responses!

Kind regards,
Stefan
tryingto-remember
User

Post by tryingto-remember »

Hello,

I've watched the video many time. Here is where I get lost: https://imgur.com/a/3AP8NMa

Somehow, the program is induced to generate a subsequent toolbar. But, I can't figure out WHAT one needs to do to make this happen?

It seems that there is some sort of spin, or touch one needs to have with the mouse?

I've sloooooowly moved the icon into place, quickly, gotten a new icon, tried with a few different icons, held down the alt key. All to no avail.

The video is a huge help! Please could you also write an explanation of of the steps one needs to take to induce a toolbar to automatically generate another toolbar.

And, will such an auto-gen toolbar ALSO be listed at all in the toolbars list?

There appears to be a way of setting down the icon so that it induces the app to generate a new toolbar. I don't know what mouse movements or otherwise make that happen.

Thanks!
Thanks!

Tryingto-remember
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

It seems like it is only possible to induce an additional toolbar when the already existing toolbar is vertical oriented.

After the vertical orientation of the existing toolbar, you can drag a command(icon) to it from the bottom-up and it will create an additional toolbar. Watch the difference in the "width" of the insertion line. When you are too narrow to the icon just above it, the insertion line will be smaller and no additional toolbar will be created.

Does this help?
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - Additional toolbar.png
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Willy Van Nuffel,

Thanks for the above post! Indeed it is a bit tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it you can add as many new toolbars as needed!

Kind regards,
Stefan
tryingto-remember
User

Hello Willy & Stefan,

Wow! For the LIFE of me - I can't get it to occur. I tried on the SINGLE toolbar I have in comments - the width of the insertion line never changes. I tried re-positioning icons already on the bar and adding new ones. At no time did the width of any of them change.

AFIK the toolbars in comments and bookmarks have no name / number. Yes?

Then, I tried with some toolbars I had manually generated -

2023-02-06_15-24-26-360.png
2023-02-06_15-24-26-360.png (2.17 KiB) Viewed 548 times

Dragging to side. Drag icons around. Insertion point DID change width but - never any new toolbar below? How can I fix?

Thanks.
Thanks!

Tryingto-remember
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello tryingto-remember,

Please note that you need to move the mouse quite a bit down - e.g. on the below screenshot the indicator is showing that if I release my mouse button - it will create a new toolbar:
image.png
But my mouse location is actually in the area highlighted by the red circle (taking the screenshot hides the cursor unfortunately).

Kind regards,
Stefan
tryingto-remember
User

Hello Stefan,

YES! That was IT! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thanks!

Tryingto-remember
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com