Build 359 Unable to delete text

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

chrisjj
User

Build 359 Unable to delete text

Post by chrisjj »

1 Copy some text to clipboard
2 Do File, New Document, From Clipboard...
3 Click Select Text
image.png
image.png (10.42 KiB) Viewed 336 times
4 Select a word
5 Press DELETE

Expected: word deleted
Observed: no change

6 Execute "DELETE Delete the section"
image(1).png
Expected: word deleted
Observed: no change

What's up?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Build 359 Unable to delete text

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Chris,

I believe this is because the content created this way is "Base Content" and you need to use the "Edit Text" Tool:
image.png
I do see that the Delete Key works for a selected word, but that Delete selection command seems to see the entire block as being selected. I would suggest you just use the Edit Text Tool with the Delete key on the keyboard or a right click delete.
DeleteTextSelection.gif
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:24 pm I believe this is because the content created this way is "Base Content" and you need to use the "Edit Text" Tool:

image.png
Thanks. No such tool found here on the classic interface, or in Help.

But I did find "Edit content"
image(1).png
and that workedaround.
Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:24 pmI do see that the Delete Key works for a selected word, but that Delete selection command seems to see the entire block as being selected.
Whoops. Worth fixing, I suggest. (This is not a feature request.)

Thanks.
Attachments
image.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, chrisjj

The "Edit" tool is in almost the same location on the Classic UI as it is in the Ribbon UI's Home tab:
PDFXEdit_wF5dCJ6L0W.gif
If it is not there, that would mean your UI customizations are the cause, and a simple "reset" of the toolbars should restore it.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:18 pm The "Edit" tool
... whereas you directed me to the "Edit Text" tool.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, chrisjj

The "Edit" tool has four modes. "All Content", "Text", "Shapes" and "images". I expect that when Paul said "Edit Text" he meant "Edit > text" indicating the Text mode of the Edit tool. I am sorry for the confusion caused there. I should also mention that Paul included a very clear screenshot indicating exactly which tool he was referring to and how to enable it.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:10 pmI expect that when Paul said "Edit Text" he meant "Edit > text"
I considered that... so looked on the Edit menu for Text. It's not there.

That's when I then look in Quick Launch... which likewise failed to show it.

Now I discover that the Edit Content I did find there worked only by accident - because Text is ticked here:
image.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:10 pm I should also mention that Paul included a very clear screenshot indicating exactly which tool he was referring to and how to enable it.
I should also mention that screenshot kindly provided by Paul was of the ribbon UI so of very little use to this classic UI user.

And goodness knows why the button named Edit in Paul's screenshot has the different name Edit Content on the classic UI here. This kind of muddle does not at all help users like me struggling with the Ribbon UI wrongly pictured in the Classic UI manual and Support answers that assume Ribbon.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, chrisjj

The ribbon UI is now our main toolbar system, while the Classic UI is a legacy option designed to retain the original layout as closely as possible for our longtime users who wish to continue using what is familiar, instead of learning the new ribbon layout. Most of those using the Classic UI are doing so becuase they are familiar with the layout.

Now, in this case, it seems that you have shrunk the main toolbar in your customizations, because of the density of tools, this causes some items to be collapsed into a single flyout menu with no icon. The "Edit content" tool is the same tool that is in the UI for both the Ribbon and Classic UI. In your collapsed Classic UI, it would be here:
PDFXEdit_3Q4zALor9V.gif
If you have trouble finding main tools, it may help to leave the software in its original state and get familiar with the genera locations of functions, before you begin customizing.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:24 pmthe Classic UI is a legacy option
Thanks for the warning. Suggestion: put that in the manual.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:24 pmwhat is familiar, instead of learning the new ribbon layout.
I think you'll find learning is not the issue. Loss of productivity is.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:24 pmNow, in this case, it seems that you have shrunk the main toolbar in your customizations
Nope. I'm simply using a 1720-pixel-wide window. Eide enough for any sensibly designed UI, I'd have thought.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:24 pm because of the density of tools, this causes some items to be collapsed into a single flyout menu with no icon.
That is one of the reasons I prefer the menu bar.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:24 pm The "Edit content" tool is the same tool that is in the UI for both the Ribbon and Classic UI.
On has to wonder then why there's no such item showing in Paul Ribbon UI pic.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:24 pmIf you have trouble finding main tools, it may help to leave the software in its original state
Leaving the software in its original state - Ribbon UI - is what has caused me more trouble finding tools than anything else.

However, I'd be interesting to know, what window width do you call "original state"?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, chrisjj

The "edit content" tool (AKA the "Edit", "Edit>All content", "Edit>text", "Edit>images" and "Edit>shapes" tool) is the one tool which Paul showed in his initial image. When the tool is a large tile only the word "edit" is shown, but it is the very same tool.
The "default state" of the Classic UI has an expanded (taller) toolbar, as you see in my screenshot below, which is how the UI was designed, and on an appropriately sized screen (1280px or wider which you claim yours to be) is easily able to show all tools present on it:
image.png
Reducing the height of this toolbar forces all section with 3-tall tiling to be reduced to a single row, this causes many sections to be combined into a single "section dropdown" as you see in the Animated Gif I presented in my previous post.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:49 pm When the tool is a large tile only the word "edit" is shown
Evidently.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:49 pmThe "default state" of the Classic UI has an expanded (taller) toolbar, as you see in my screenshot below, which is how the UI was designed, and on an appropriately sized screen (1280px or wider which you claim yours to be) is easily able to show all tools present on it
Thanks.

Any idea why both your and my max-height Classic toolbar do not accord with the manual's e.g. File, Standard, View?

image.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, chrisjj

I think you are misunderstanding something. This is the Classic UI, regardless of whether it is "collapsed" (as you have it set) or not, it is called the "Classic UI" mode.
image.png
This is the Ribbon UI:
image(1).png
The definitive difference between the "Ribbon" and "Classic" UI, is the presence of "tabs" which switch the available toolbars within the same "main area".

You will also find that in order to navigate between them, you need to click a button which explicitly states "switch to [Ribbon UI/ Classic Toolbars]":
image(2).png
image(2).png (6.16 KiB) Viewed 266 times
image(3).png
image(3).png (5.92 KiB) Viewed 266 times
Regarding the "File, Standard, View" dropdowns shown in the manual, this is what happens when the window is reduced to a smaller size:
PDFXEdit_hpcTnP1Zxb.gif
Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com