"Generate Bookmarks from Text File" doesn't correctly import items containing GotoR actions

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rakunavi
User

"Generate Bookmarks from Text File" doesn't correctly import items containing GotoR actions

Post by rakunavi »

Hello all,

I have found a issue related to the "Generate Bookmarks from Text File" feature. As described in the manual, the text file format used for the following two features is the same.

• Generate Bookmarks from Text File
    https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe9/index.html?generate-bookmarks-from-text-file_ed.html
  • Export Bookmarks to Text File
    https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe9/index.html?export-bookmarks-to-text-file_ed.html
Except for the cases reported in the following topic, importing the exported text file should basically restore the original bookmarks.

• The standard color of bookmark titles cannot be restored when the dark theme is applied.
    https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38466
However, if you export a bookmark containing a GotoR action, delete it, import it again, and recreate the bookmark, PDF-XChange Editor opens the bookmark correctly, but Acrobat Reader only opens the external file and does not show the named destination page that you specified.

The verification first shows that the bookmark functions correctly in both PDF-XChange Editor and Acrobat using two files, Source1.pdf and Target.pdf. Next, after restoring the bookmark via exporting, deleting, and importing the bookmark (Source2.pdf), the bookmark does not function in Acrobat. Target.pdf has three named destinations (Apple, Lemon, Orange) and each bookmark in Source1.pdf has a GotoR action for each destination.

Please refer to the following verification procedure and see attached verification video for more details. The corresponding timecode in the video is also included.
([MM:SS] "MM" shows minutes, and "SS" shows seconds.)

• [00:02] The Source1.pdf bookmarks work fine in the PDF-XChange Editor.
    [00:16] The Source1.pdf bookmarks also works fine in the Acrobat Reader.
    [00:30] Export using the "Export Bookmarks to Text File" feature.
    [00:40] Delete all bookmarks.
    [00:47] Import Source1.txt using the "Generate Bookmarks from Text File" feature.
    [00:53] Save the file at this point as Source2.pdf.
    [01:00] The bookmarks in Source2.pdf work fine in the PDF-XChange Editor.
    [01:13] Open Source2.pdf in Acrobat Reader.
    [01:16] Bookmarks in Source2.pdf do not work at all in Acrobat Reader. Whichever bookmark you select, you should see the first page of Target.pdf marked "Empty".
In the verification, the files are saved in C:\Users\user\Documents. The file path in the bookmark of Source2.pdf seems to be registered as an absolute path. Therefore, if you extract the attachment files to a folder other than the above, the bookmark will not work even if you open Source2.pdf with PDF-XChange Editor. On the other hand, the bookmarks of Source1.pdf will work correctly. It would be nice if bookmarks could be imported in a (presumably) relative path like Source1.pdf.

Hoping that the above information will be of some help to you.
Thank you so much for your continued support.

Best regards,
rakunavi

- PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version: 9.5 build 366.0
- OS Version: Windows 11 Home 22H2 Build 22621.1105
- PC Model: Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL, HP All-in-One 22-c0xx
Last edited by rakunavi on Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
rakunavi
User

Re: "Generate Bookmarks from Text File" doesn't correctly import items containing GotoR actions

Post by rakunavi »

Hello all,

The above post was substantially rewritten after posting. When I first posted it, I had incorrectly enabled the following setting. The verification in the above post was done with this setting turned off.

• Do not escape service symbols such as @ # { } \ : etc.
I had missed the following tips being displayed.

• Escaping service symbols is recommended if you intend to use the resulting file with the "Generate Bookmarks Text File" feature, in the future.
EscapeOption.png

If any of you saw my initial post, I apologize for bothering you.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: "Generate Bookmarks from Text File" doesn't correctly import items containing GotoR actions

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello rakunavi,

Glad to see that you have figured out the setting you need!
And as you posted the initial post on Saturday - it was likely not seen by any of my colleagues, as we do not usually have anyone to monitor the forums on weekends.

Kind regards,
Stefan
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hi Stefan, thank you for your comment.

Please forgive the odd posting style due to the inability of users to delete their posts.

The second post is just an addendum; I hope you will find the first one to be a bug report (the setting I wrote in the second one have already been reflected). It is of course possible that the problem is on the Acrobat side. However, since Source1.pdf can successfully open GotoR action links in Acrobat, I suspect it is more likely that the bookmark import process in Source2.pdf is not working properly in PDF-XCE.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello rakunavi,

Apologies - I admit I did read the second post initially, and thought that the information in the second post is solves the issue. I have now thoroughly gone through your initial post, and will ask our devs to take a look here!

Kind regards,
Stefan