Issue that occurs when documents with different page heights are displayed in Ribbon Layout, Single Page, and Fit Page

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rakunavi
User

Issue that occurs when documents with different page heights are displayed in Ribbon Layout, Single Page, and Fit Page

Post by rakunavi »

Hello all,

I have found that when the following three conditions are met, documents with different heights for each page may not display the shortest height page on the screen.

• Page layout is set to "Ribbon Layout"
  • Display mode is set to non-continuous "Single Page"
  • Magnification is set to "Fit Page"
It is difficult to explain in words, but it seems that even in single page mode, the vertical display position is determined based on the display position in continuous mode of the ribbon layout. It seems to be a bug that the page is displayed out of the screen display area even though it is set to "Single Page" and "Fit Page".

Please refer to the following verification procedure and see attached verification video for more details. The corresponding timecode in the video is also included.
([MM:SS] "MM" shows minutes, and "SS" shows seconds.)

First, verify with a "Standard Layout" mode.

• [00:05] Open a document (Page Weidth Variable Sample.pdf) in which the page width differs from page to page, and move the pages forward and backward to verify that the document is displayed correctly.
  • [00:15] Open a document (Page Height Variable Sample.pdf) in which the page height varies from page to page, and confirm that it is displayed correctly.
Next, the exact same operation is performed in "Ribbon Layout" mode.

• [00:25] Open a document (Page Weidth Variable Sample.pdf) with different page widths for each page, and confirm that it is displayed correctly.
  • [00:35] Open a document (Page Height Variable Sample.pdf) in which the page height varies from page to page, and confirm that the first page does not appear on the screen at all. Confirm that the vertical display position of the second and subsequent pages is also incorrect.
Hoping that the above information will be of some help to you.
Thank you so much for your continued support.

Best regards,
rakunavi

- PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version: 9.4 build 364.0
- OS Version: Windows 11 Home 22H2 Build 22621.521
- PC Model: Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Issue that occurs when documents with different page heights are displayed in Ribbon Layout, Single Page, and Fit Pa

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, rakunavi

Ribbon layout should only be used with a continuous mode viewing mode, and to be quite honest, I have been pushing to Dev team to enforce this by preventing the single- or double-page options from activating without disabling ribbon layout as well.

In short, yes this is a display bug, but it is one that only appears by using a combination of features which should not be used together. I will be passing this along to the dev team, and hopefully this will be the point that convinces them to follow through with my suggestion.

#6260: Ribbon layout compatibility issue with single page view

Going forward, any time you are in single or double page (non-continuous) modes, please ensure that you are using the normal page layout, and not the ribbon layout.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
rakunavi
User

Re: Issue that occurs when documents with different page heights are displayed in Ribbon Layout, Single Page, and Fit Pa

Post by rakunavi »

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for taking the time to look into this in detail.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:22 pm I have been pushing to Dev team to enforce this by preventing the single- or double-page options from activating without disabling ribbon layout as well.
If the single page and double page options are not enabled unless the ribbon layout is disabled, it may increase the steps to switch between single page and continuous page for users who always have the ribbon layout set.

In order not to spoil the convenience of users who always use the ribbon layout, it would be ideal for the program to internally treat the single or double page option in the ribbon layout as a standard layout when it is selected. Then it would be natural from a user interface perspective for the user to simply select continuous mode again, and the page would again be displayed in the ribbon layout that the user originally set up.

Of course, I understand that this is a difficult proposal to adopt, as developers will want to avoid complicating the source code, given that there will be few users of the ribbon layout.

In any case, as previously reported in the following topic, the combination of ribbon layout and non-continuous mode has many issues, so I hope a solution can be found that does not impair usability and does not burden developers.

• Horizontal scroll bar in non-continuous and Ribbon Layout mode
    https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38775
Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:22 pm ...
Ribbon layout should only be used with a continuous mode viewing mode, ...
Why?

I am seeing another anomoly in Ribbon Layout mode but in my preferred single-page mode. In the thumbnails, there is a bounding box representing what is viewed in the main document viewing window. If you try to move the bounding box vertically (north and south) around the thumbnail, it actually moves the opposite, or inverse, of the way you direct it. In other words, if the user clicks and holds on the bounding box and moves up, the bounding box actually moves down and vice versa. Horizontal moves are OK.

I am not sure if this is part of the bug that Rakunavi has reported.
All best,

FringePhil
Sean - Tracker
Site Admin

Post by Sean - Tracker »

Hi PHK,

The reason you shouldn't do this is simply because there are several known issues when combining the ribbon viewing mode with the single page mode, as detailed in the posts above and in some other forum topics. I had a look at the issue you described with using the ribbon layout and single-page mode and I see what you mean. A ticket has been created for this issue and it will be handed in due course. In the meantime I'm afraid the best you can do is simply to remember not to use these viewing modes at the same time if you want to avoid these issues.

Kind regards,
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Sean - Tracker wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:21 pm ... I had a look at the issue you described with using the ribbon layout and single-page mode and I see what you mean. A ticket has been created for this issue and it will be handed in due course.

Thank you.

Sean - Tracker wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:21 pmIn the meantime I'm afraid the best you can do is simply to remember not to use these viewing modes at the same time if you want to avoid these issues...
Now that's a truly risky proposition!
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

:D

But I do have a warped sense of humour.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:00 pm :D

But I do have a warped sense of humour.
Undoubtedly a prerequisite for employment there.
All best,

FringePhil