Populate Forms with Image field

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

thedman07
User

Populate Forms with Image field

Post by thedman07 »

Is it possible to use the Populate Forms tool to fill out an image field in a form that I have created?
We are trying to use a pdf form that we have created to make a bunch of unique sheets that are used in construction.

The values in below address, building, etc. all vary as well as the information in the table. These text fields are easy. The floor plan and the legend are two separate image files that would vary from sheet to sheet. What I would like to do is use a CSV to give a full path to a file and have that file inserted into the sheet.

I also have PDF tools, and the plan is to use "populate forms" to generate all the sheets and then put them together. I can also create the images as PDFs if that makes a difference.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Populate Forms with Image field

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi thedman07,

indeed you can do that. you just need to specify the full file name of the image in the input CSV file and it will work like in this video:

https://youtu.be/Vcx9Fi24MmE?t=208

enjoy!
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
thedman07
User

Post by thedman07 »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:49 pm Hi thedman07,

indeed you can do that. you just need to specify the full file name of the image in the input CSV file and it will work like in this video:

enjoy!
EDIT:Let me make sure I'm on the latest build first...

Are there restrictions on the file types for the images?

I've tried it with the full path with and without quotes and put the PNG files in the same folder as the template and just used the file name and I can't get it to work.

Can I send you my files and have you take a look at them?
thedman07
User

Post by thedman07 »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:49 pm Hi thedman07,

enjoy!
I have 9.5.365.0 and I still can't get it to work.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi thedman07,
Can I send you my files and have you take a look at them?
Absolutely! Do you have tools to make a screen capture? Ideally I would like to see the process you are using. I have not tried this yet myself, it is a relatively new feature, so I am indeed keen to try with your case.

Zip it up and email it to support@pdf-xchange.com if you don't want it public on this forum.

I have a link for a simple GIF animation tool, but the name is a bit strange and the forum always treats it as spam, so if you need a link let me know and I'll email it to you. It's a small app for tasking animated screen grabs and seeing your process would be very helpful.

I am keen to see this working myself!
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
thedman07
User

Post by thedman07 »

I actually got it working. In the populate forms dialog, I had the wrong template selected. It doesn't seem to be working exactly as intended though.

It only works if no image/icon has ever been assigned to the button/image field.

If I do the following Populate Forms is broken:
Place an image field.
Click on it and select an image/icon (it will work and the image will show up.)
If I click the button/image field again and select a different image, it will change.
If I then use "Populate Forms" to try to manipulate the icon/image, the icon/image will stay the same in the resulting files (not working).

The following breaks the button/field in a way I don't know how to recover from (Populate Forms is broken):
Place an image field.
Click on it and select an image/icon (it will work and the image will show up.)
If I select the button/image field and then go to the "Up Icon" property and double click on it or click the "..." button I get a dialog similar to the one used to assign the icon the first time, but it has a "remove icon" button on the lower left.
If I click the "remove icon" button, the icon/image goes away but after that, clicking on the button/image field and assigning an icon/image in the typical way no longer works. Also, there is no longer a way to access the "Up Icon" context menu that has the "remove icon" button.

Prior to having an icon assigned to the button, the "up icon" property shows "<None>"
Once an icon/image has been assigned, it shows a miniature image of the icon.
If you go through the Up Icon > ... menu > Remove Icon process the "up icon" property shows <Not Set> and the "..." menu button disappears (and double clicking doesn't work either).

This is workable as is, but it seems like this can't be the desired behavior. I don't have a good screen recorder (I haven't messed with the windows one enough) but if you want to set up a screen share session, I can show you the behavior.

Also "Reset Form" doesn't clear the image field and it seems like it should.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for this, as well as the email.

If you can send a screen capture as per the link in the email that would be very helpful.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
thedman07
User

Post by thedman07 »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:08 pm Thanks for this, as well as the email.

If you can send a screen capture as per the link in the email that would be very helpful.
So, I think I narrowed most of the other scenarios down to user error. The process that works is exactly like the youtube link that you posted earlier.

Here is the one that I think is actually at issue:
This is the scenario where I click the button and set the icon/image, then go to the "Up Icon" property on the field/button and click that dialog and use the "remove icon" button. From that point I can no longer set the icon/image and it no longer works with populate form.

This process seems to permanently break the button/field. Also, the "Reset Form" doesn't remove the image when it seems like it should.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello thedman07,

Itseems that when you use the "remove icon" button - this changes the properties of the field from
1.png
1.png (9.06 KiB) Viewed 272 times
to:
2.png
2.png (6.61 KiB) Viewed 272 times
I believe this needs to be seen by our devs - so I've created a ticket in our internal only system:
#6324: Editor: Issue with remove icon from form field
Which will allow them to take a look!

Kind regards,
Stefan
thedman07
User

Post by thedman07 »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:12 am Hello thedman07,

Itseems that when you use the "remove icon" button - this changes the properties of the field from
1.png
to:
2.png

I believe this needs to be seen by our devs - so I've created a ticket in our internal only system:
#6324: Editor: Issue with remove icon from form field
Which will allow them to take a look!

Kind regards,
Stefan
I just noticed that the "Layout" property changes from "Icon Only" to "Label Only" when the remove icon button is used.

I just tested it and after using the remove icon button, I can change "Layout" back to "Icon Only" and it brings it back to a state where an image can be assigned to it.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello thedman07,

Thanks for noticing this!
I will still check with my colleagues to see if that is the intended behaviour!

Kind regards,
Stefan