Keyboard shortcut for adding bookmark

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Hello

I just wanted to report that when you use a keyboard shortcut such as Ctrl+Shift+B to add a new bookmark (not simply opening the bookmarks pane, that I have set to Alt+B)
You have to press F2 again to rename it (from "untitled"), as it is unselected automatically for some reason. It would be nice to not have to do that and for the name field to stay active.
image.png
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Keyboard shortcut for adding bookmark

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello MedBooster,

Can you please confirm that you are using build 364?
As for me using Ctrl + Shift + B directly creates the bookmark and the name is selected ready for direct typing:
image.png
image.png (8.61 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
If you are adding bookmark from text - then that text should be used as default for the bookmark itself, but that is usually desired.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

This seems to happen (also in build 364) when the Bookmarks pane is floating and not docked to the left, right, top or bottom.

Kind regards.

Willy
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Willy Van Nuffel,

Thanks for pointing this out!
Indeed, I managed to reproduce the behaviour when the bookmarks pane is undocked.
Checking with our dev team is that is the intended behaviour!

Kind regards,
Stefan
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

=== UPDATE ===================================================================
The issue reported below has been resolved in Ver 9.5 build 365.
I appreciate all the hard work and efforts of the support and development team.
==============================================================================

Hello all,

I found that the same phenomenon reported above also occurs when a new item is added by pressing a button on the toolbar of the Bookmarks pane, when the following conditions are met.

• The Bookmarks pane is docked and placed side by side with the Named Destinations pane.
  • After adding a new item in the Named Destinations pane, pressing the "New Bookmark..." button in the Bookmarks pane without pressing the Enter key.
Please refer to the following verification procedure and see attached verification video for more details. The corresponding timecode in the video is also included.
([MM:SS] "MM" shows minutes, and "SS" shows seconds.)

In the first half of the video, please verify that the problem does not occur by adding the new item to the Bookmarks pane first and to the Named Destination pane later. Then, in the second half of the video, the order of addition is reversed, adding new items to the Named Destination pane first and to the Bookmarks pane later, respectively, to show that the unintended behavior occurs.

Bookmarks pane first, Named Destinations pane second (case works as intended)

• [00:00] Copy an appropriate string to the clipboard.
  • [00:08] Press the "New Bookmark..." button on the toolbar of the Bookmarks pane to add the "Untitled" item, and the cursor will blink to indicate that the item can be edited.
  • [00:10] Paste the item name using the shortcut keys Ctrl+V, and it will be reflected in the item name in the Bookmarks pane.
  • [00:12] Press the "New Destination..." button in the Named Destinations pane without pressing the Enter key, i.e., while the blinking cursor is still in the Bookmarks pane.
  • [00:13] Paste the item name using the shortcut keys Ctrl+V, and it will be reflected in the item name in the Named Destinations.
Named Destination pane first, Bookmarks pane second (case of unintended behavior)

• [00:18] Press the "New Destination..." button on the toolbar of the Named Destinations pane to add the "Untitled" item, and the cursor will blink to indicate that the item can be edited.
  • [00:20] Paste the item name using the shortcut keys Ctrl+V, and it will be reflected in the item name in the Named Destinations pane.
  • [00:21] Press the "New Bookmark..." button in the Bookmarks pane without pressing the Enter key, i.e., while the blinking cursor is still in the Named Destinations pane.
  • [00:22] Paste the item name using the shortcut keys Ctrl+V, and it will be copied to the document as a comment unintentionally.
In both cases of adding by Ctrl+Shift+B as reported by MedBooster and by the tool button as reported by me, it seems to be caused by the lack of processing to activate the Bookmarks pane after the "New Bookmark..." command is executed.

Hoping that the above information will be of some help to you.
Thank you so much for your continued support.

Best regards,
rakunavi

- PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version: 9.4 build 364.0
- OS Version: Windows 11 Home 22H2 Build 22621.819
- PC Model: Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL, HP All-in-One 22-c0xx
Last edited by rakunavi on Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

rakunavi wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:35 pm ...
  • The Bookmarks pane is docked and placed side by side with the Named Destinations pane.
  • After adding a new item in the Named Destinations pane, pressing the "New Bookmark..." button in the Bookmarks pane without pressing the Enter key.
I don't know why one would do that. You have not completed the action of creating a new Named Destination until you have pressed "Enter." The text you entered in the new Named Destination is not saved until "Enter" is pressed. Nor should it be. Doing anything else whilst the naming of a new Destination is still open is bound to lead to strange results. But I see what you mean about placing that text in the document, which is indeed strange.

By the way, I use the simple letter "B" user-defined-by-me Hotkey to add a new Bookmark because I do that a lot and it is obviously easier than a more complex group of keystrokes. Also, I am usually selecting the text content from the active document and then creating the bookmark with the B Hotkey straight away rather than copying text ([Ctrl-C]. Also, the document view at the time of the creation of the Bookmark automatically becomes the destination for that Bookmark. Thus, I have created a Bookmark with Destination in one simple step.

But perhaps your new Named Destination first and then new Bookmark is meant to do something different from what I am doing.
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for that PHK.

I am keen to hear if that helps you Rakunavi.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hi PHK and Paul, thank you for your comments.
PHK wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:58 am I don't know why one would do that. You have not completed the action of creating a new Named Destination until you have pressed "Enter." The text you entered in the new Named Destination is not saved until "Enter" is pressed. Nor should it be. Doing anything else whilst the naming of a new Destination is still open is bound to lead to strange results.
I think it depends on the design policy whether to always require the user to type Enter at the end of input or to allow the user not to type Enter in a case like this. For example, when creating a new folder or a new file in Microsoft Explorer, if the default name is acceptable, it is acceptable to move on to the next operation without pressing Enter.

It is quite difficult to imagine the developer's design intent from the outside, but since the results obtained by performing the operations in reverse order were different, I just thought that perhaps the developer's intent was not reflected. From Paul's comments, it seems that it is the Tracker team's design policy to always require Enter. I was a bit surprised, given my impression of PDF-XChange Editor, which has incredibly detailed features implemented.

PHK wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:58 am But perhaps your new Named Destination first and then new Bookmark is meant to do something different from what I am doing.
In cases where there is no embedded text object, such as a scanned document, the title must be entered from the keyboard or pasted from the clipboard. It is efficient to set up a named destination in advance at the same time as the bookmark, in case it will be linked from an external file in the future. Therefore, in my workflow, the order of operations in the Named Destinations pane and the Bookmarks pane itself has no particular meaning.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

rakunavi wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:32 pm Hi PHK and Paul, thank you for your comments.
No problem; a pleasure.
rakunavi wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:32 pm...It is quite difficult to imagine the developer's design intent from the outside, but since the results obtained by performing the operations in reverse order were different, I just thought that perhaps the developer's intent was not reflected. From Paul's comments, it seems that it is the Tracker team's design policy to always require Enter...
Yes, it does.
rakunavi wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:32 pm
In cases where there is no embedded text object, such as a scanned document, the title must be entered from the keyboard or pasted from the clipboard.
Well, even with scanned documents, some people OCR the document so that text content is created. For instance, my 'default' scanning mode is always to OCR the document as part of the scanning process. But even if there is no text content,or if you do not want to use existing text content, as you create a Bookmark either by entering from the keyboard or pasting from the clipboard (I think you call it a "title"), the Bookmark defines the destination as currently in the active document window. You do not have to do anything in the Destinations panel at all. If you want that to be a Named Destination, there is a simple function to create that: "Convert to Named Destination" or using the default keyboard shortcut [Ctrl-Q]. I would think that more efficient than starting by creating a Named Destination in the Destinations panel and then creating a Bookmark in the Bookmarks panel.

So, my process for creating a Bookmark with a Named Destination where there is not text content would be to Create a New Bookmark (I use the keyboard shortcut lower-case "B"), type in (or paste in) the desired text, followed immediately with Convert to Named Destination, [Ctrl-Q].

But then, maybe I am missing something or there is something about your workflow that I do not understand.
All best,

FringePhil
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hi PHK, thank you for your advice.

I also often use the Convert to Named Destinations feature, which not only creates a named destination, but also changes the target of the bookmark action from a page number to a named destination. This is natural, since that is exactly what this feature is for, but I prefer to keep the target of the bookmark as the page number when considering the use of the bookmark for other purposes. In that case, it is often faster to repeat pasting in the bookmarks pane and the named destinations pane.

I hesitate to write this because it goes off topic, but the aspects where I use the Convert to Named Destinations feature are quite different. For example, I find it more convenient to be able to set up links from other files based on page numbers. Therefore, I set up named destinations for all pages in advance according to regular rules such as page numbers or article numbers in laws (BOOK_001, BOOK_002, BOOK_003...). The specific steps are as follows.

1. Assign numbers to all pages using the "Bates Numbering" feature.
  2. Add a temporary bookmark for all pages based on the assigned bates number by using "Bookmark Every Nth Page" feature.
  3. Convert the added bookmark to a named destination by using Convert to Named Destinations feature
  4. Delete temporary bookmarks and bates numbers
If the macro works properly, step 1 should be reduced, but as far as I have tried build 365, it still doesn't work, so it looks like I still need to operate a total of 4 steps for a while.

• Optional parameter of Page Number macro doesn't seem to work in "Bookmark Every Nth Page"
    https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?p=156892
I know that this is quite different from common usage, but the great thing about the PDF-XChange Editor is that it provides tools for a variety of uses. By the way, the issue reported above has been successfully fixed in build 365. In other words, the item name is now reflected without any problem even if you move on to the next operation without typing Enter. As I guessed above, the cause would be the same, so the issue I reported disappeared at the same time the issue MedBooster reported was fixed. Thanks to the developer.

Best regards,
rakunavi

P.S.
PHK wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:08 am If you want that to be a Named Destination, there is a simple function to create that: "Convert to Named Destination" or using the default keyboard shortcut [Ctrl-Q].
As far as I know, the shortcut key Ctrl+Q is not assigned to the Convert to Named Destinations feature, but to closing the application.
TOP desires for PDFXCE
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

rakunavi wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:10 am ... Therefore, I set up named destinations for all pages in advance according to regular rules such as page numbers or article numbers in laws (BOOK_001, BOOK_002, BOOK_003...).
Fair enough; that is a very sophisticated use.
rakunavi wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:10 am ...I know that this is quite different from common usage, but the great thing about the PDF-XChange Editor is that it provides tools for a variety of uses.
Totally agree.
rakunavi wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:10 amBy the way, the issue reported above has been successfully fixed in build 365.
So I see. I have just updated to 365 since previous post and I will work on getting my head around the new features and fixes. But immediately, I see that Bookmark designations survive page merges. Yeaaaaa!
rakunavi wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:10 am As far as I know, the shortcut key Ctrl+Q is not assigned to the Convert to Named Destinations feature, but to closing the application.
You might very well be correct there and it was my re-assignment of the keyboard short cut. If so, I did it some time ago and forgot that I did it.
All best,

FringePhil
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

@PHK,
hasn't bookmark designations always survived page merges? Or just whole pdf document merges?

Seemed to work fine for me as long as I long as I did the merge with PDF xce and not some other app like PDF24 (then bookmarks wouldn't always be retained)
Wishlist
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

MedBooster wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:33 am @PHK,
hasn't bookmark designations always survived page merges? Or just whole pdf document merges?

Seemed to work fine for me as long as I long as I did the merge with PDF xce and not some other app like PDF24 (then bookmarks wouldn't always be retained)
Sorry, "designations" a late-night typo. I meant "destinations."

I don't know anything about other apps that can do bookmarks.

Specifically, what used to drive me nuts was merging selected pages that had bookmarks pointed to them. When Merge Pages was executed, the pages would merge and the bookmarks that had been on those pages no longer had destinations. So, I had to go back to the bookmarks and re-establish the destinations to the newly merged pages.

On the other hand, when you combine files (I think that's what you mean by whole pdf document merges), the bookmark destinations survived.
All best,

FringePhil
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

I don't get what the difference between merging and combining is. I thought those were just synonyms
Wishlist
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

In terms of PDF-XCE functions, Combine Files does just that: it combines whole single files into a new file.

Merge Pages functions at the page level within a file combining multiple pages into a single new page or "sheet" within that file.
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

I asked the team abouyt this and got tyhe following reply:
In 365 build, when you have a doc with two pages and two bookmarks: bookmA(points to pg1), bookmB(points to pg2) and then merge such two pages into new one - then such two pages will be replaced by new one with embedded content from that two pages, in two separated regions(depending on placement-layout). And bookmA will point to the first region, and bookmB will navigate to the second region of that result-page. So in 365 we fixed the destinations for bookmarks, links etc, according to merge-configuration
You said
So I see. I have just updated to 365 since previous post and I will work on getting my head around the new features and fixes. But immediately, I see that Bookmark designations survive page merges. Yeaaaaa!
Sorry, I am not sure whether that worked for you OK or if there is still an issue?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:58 pm...
Sorry, I am not sure whether that worked for you OK or if there is still an issue?
I think it is OK and what I was asking for way back. Further use will tell.

Thanks for asking!
All best,

FringePhil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

MedBooster wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:58 pm I don't get what the difference between merging and combining is. I thought those were just synonyms
A simple analogy:

You have two decks of playing cards. "Combining" them would be to just put one deck of cards on top of the other. "Merging" them would be if you did a casino shuffle of the two decks with one deck in one hand and the other deck in the other. Or if you re-ordered the cards by hand so that all the aces were together, all the twos were together, etc., as an example.
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

PHK wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:38 pm
MedBooster wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:58 pm I don't get what the difference between merging and combining is. I thought those were just synonyms
A simple analogy:

You have two decks of playing cards. "Combining" them would be to just put one deck of cards on top of the other. "Merging" them would be if you did a casino shuffle of the two decks with one deck in one hand and the other deck in the other. Or if you re-ordered the cards by hand so that all the aces were together, all the twos were together, etc., as an example.
Ok I think I get it, so when you merge you can put a second document within a particular page range of the first one for example?
Wishlist
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello MedBooster,

Yes - when you combine files - you put one file (deck of cards) "on top" of the other - (Imagine the decks of cards are e.g. still in plastic wraps - you can't intermingle cards from one deck with the other at that stage). While "merging" allows you to put the pages (cards in the analogy) in any position you want in between the pages of the other.

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

One other thing that may not be obvious. Strictly speaking in my analogy, you are going from two packs of cards to 104 cards (if 2x52 cards). In PDF-XCE Combine Files makes two files into one file whereas Merge Pages would make 104 pages into ONE sheet with 104 sections of that sheet representing each of the former pages.

What I often do is COMBINE FILES first and the MERGE PAGES second to get the sheet of pages to look the way I want.

For instance, let's say I want to end up with one sheet of pages for all invoices I receive from one vendor over the course of a year. I save the invoices as single files as received. So after, say, three months I have three separate files. I Combine those into a single file. If each file was 3 pages, this will produce a file of 9 pages. A Bookmark is automatically generated for each source file in the "New Document." If there were Bookmarks in the source files, they will show as "children" Bookmarks under the top level file Bookmark. Then, I select the pages I want in my final file. Note that there may be pages that I don't want in that merged-page file such as 'boiler plate' terms and conditions pages which I will avoid selecting. Then, I do Merge Pages. That will produce a single sheet with the pages on it as I had selected.

Later in the year, I will receive more files representing more invoices. I will repeat the operation above making sure that the single-sheet file from above (renamed from the default "New Document") is one of the files for the Combine Files operation. In this way, I am adding later pages to the one initial master sheet until it is "complete," in my example, a full year.
All best,

FringePhil
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hi all,

I think there is a kind of miss-understanding or confusion about "Merge Pages" in PDF-XChange Editor.

At first, I also thought that it went about bringing together pages of two or more PDF-documents into the users' desired order, but that is rather the "Insert Pages" feature.

The goal of "Merge pages" in PDF-XChange Editor is to put two or more (split) pages (back) onto one sheet (one large page).

Unfortunately the "Merge Pages" feature is not fully explained in the manual (there is no link onto "detailed here"):
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe9/organize_ed.html

Regards.
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hi all,
Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:58 pm Unfortunately the "Merge Pages" feature is not fully explained in the manual (there is no link onto "detailed here"):
I also pointed this out the other day on this forum, but it looks like the update has not been made yet. The page itself exists at the following URL

• https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe9/merge-pages_ed.html
rakunavi wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:08 am By the way, as a comment to the person in charge of online help at the Tracker team, the online help at the following URL does not seem to have a link to a detailed page about Merge Pages.

• https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe9/organize_ed.html

Click <span style="font-weight: bold;">Merge Pages </span>to merge split pages, as detailed <span style="font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline;">here.</span></p>
Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:58 pm Hi all,

I think there is a kind of miss-understanding or confusion about "Merge Pages" in PDF-XChange Editor.

At first, I also thought that it went about bringing together pages of two or more PDF-documents into the users' desired order, but that is rather the "Insert Pages" feature.

The goal of "Merge pages" in PDF-XChange Editor is to put two or more (split) pages (back) onto one sheet (one large page).

Unfortunately the "Merge Pages" feature is not fully explained in the manual (there is no link onto "detailed here"):

Regards.
Entirely correct.
All best,

FringePhil
Willy Van Nuffel
User

@rakunavi
Thanks for the link to the "Merge Pages" information in the PDF-XChange Editor (online) manual

@PHK
Thanks for your reply

Regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin