Program start options

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

DigitalPurchase
User

Program start options

Post by DigitalPurchase »

Is there someplace to set program options that are enabled when the program loads.

The specific complaint is that the .pdf form opens at a 207% zoom -- not good. Want to change to about 100% and have it stay that way on program loading.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Program start options

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi DigitalPurchase

welcome to the Tracker Forums.

Indeed in the preferences is an option to set the default page zoom to 100%. You will need to also turn off "Respect document's settings":
image.png
I believe this should give you what you are asking for.

Do let us know how that goes for you?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hi Paul,

Sorry for interrupting.
Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:15 pm You will need to also turn off "Respect document's settings":
Actually, even if "Respect document's settings" is not turned off, the "Default Page Zoom" settings will take precedence over the document's settings. I was just about to file a bug report on this issue, because if "Default Page Zoom" is set to a value other than Automatic, the "Respect document's settings" setting is not reflected. That is, the value of "Default Page Zoom" is reflected whether "Respect document's settings" is on or off (except when Default Page Zoom is set to Automatic).

I believe that if the Respect Document setting is enabled, the document setting should take precedence over the "Default Page Zoom", not to mention the "Default Page Layout". For a long time, I thought this was a bug, but could not be certain since there is no clear explanation in the online help. If you agree with me, then this is most likely a bug.

The following setting, which is always relevant for troubleshooting in this area, is of course set to disabled.

• Restore the last used page layout and zoom settings, while opening a document from the Recent List
If you try it, you will see what I mean.

Best regards,
rakunavi

- PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version: 9.5 build 365.0
- OS Version: Windows 11 Home 22H2 Build 22621.819
- PC Model: Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL, HP All-in-One 22-c0xx
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello rakunavi,

Many thanks for joining the discussion!
I've managed to indeed reproduce the behaviour - and am asking our devs to comment on whether this is intended (e.g. Auto will respect the document value - anything else will have priority), and if these needs fixing, we will make the necessary ticket.

Kind regards,
Stefan
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hi Stefan and Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to look into this in detail.
I am relieved to share my situation with you.

If this is the intended behavior, I suggest adding an explanation to the online help. The current explanation could be interpreted in any way.

• Select the lower check box to override the settings determined in this section with the existing settings of documents.
    https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe9/page-display_ed.html
But even in that case, as Paul felt the need to enable this setting in response to the question at the beginning of the topic (I have the same feeling as Paul), I think it would be better to modify it as a Feature Request from a user interface perspective.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello rakunavi,

Thanks for the additional comments!
This is now with our devs and they will certainly take into account the way this is intended to be used from the user's perspective!

Kind regards,
Stefan