Automate repetitive task

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kkraft80
User

Automate repetitive task

Post by kkraft80 »

Good evening,

I have a task with a lot of repetition and I wonder if it is possible to automate or simplify some steps of the task. Maybe with Javascript?
I have hundreds of pdf files that are multi-page. According to certain criteria I select some pages from the pdf and extract them into another file according to the principle: oldfilename_A.pdf.
Then I select some other pages and save them under: oldfilename_B.pdf etc.
It would be a relief, for example, if I had a button that saves all the files that are selected at this point in time in a file that is then called the same as the former file name and then appends an _A and another function that does the same and calls the same _B.
Is there a macro function or some other trick that saves me all these steps?
At the moment I select, for example, the 5 pages that belong to group A in the preview, right-click, go to extract and add a _A to the file name... I then do this for all my groups.
Does anyone have a tip on how to speed this up?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Automate repetitive task

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, kkraft80

If you are using the thumbnails pane to select the pages, you can simply drag them out of the file into the windows file explorer to automatically save a copy of only those pages prepended with the first and last page number in the range.
PDFXEdit_NcNMrjWKur.gif
Beyond that, there isnt really a way to pre-select a series of groups, and then extract them, nor a way to define pages to extract based on specific criteria, so that part of this would need to be manual.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com