How can I auto-add %[DocumentIndex] at the start of each Table of Contents entry?

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

chrisjj
User

How can I auto-add %[DocumentIndex] at the start of each Table of Contents entry?

Post by chrisjj »

So After Merge, ToC looks like e.g.

1 doc1 ................. 1
2 doc2 ................. 3
3 doc1 ................. 7

Thanks.

PS

My Merge is:
image.png
My Build ToC is:
image(1).png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: How can I auto-add %[DocumentIndex] at the start of each Table of Contents entry?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, chrisjj

I am afraid you cannot modify or add to the bookmark name dynamically like that at this time.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
chrisjj
User

Re: How can I auto-add %[DocumentIndex] at the start of each Table of Contents entry?

Post by chrisjj »

I don't want to modify the bookmark name. Just the ToC entry.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, chrisjj

Apologies if I was unclear, the ToC must be made using the bookmark name, there is no system in place to modify the ToC output, it must use the bookmark name, and that name cannot be modified dynamically while creating a ToC entry.

The best way to accomplish this may be to change the names of the files to include the desired index number, as I see that you have the "add root bookmark with filename" option enabled, that would at least allow your root bookmarks to have the desired numerical indices.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

> Apologies if I was unclear, the ToC must be made using the bookmark name, there is no system in place to modify the ToC output, it must use the bookmark name, and that name cannot be modified dynamically while creating a ToC entry.

I take it there's no way to use the bookmark name and add to it. Thanks.

> The best way to accomplish this may be to change the names of the files to include the desired index number

Thanks for the thought. I've done this before using Bulk Rename Utility, but with the file set changing a lot on the particular project, I was hoping for automatic.

Could you let the devs know that indexed ToC entry names is surely quote a frequent requirement and perhaps worth supporting, for e.g.
image.png
Thanks.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello chrisjj,

Certainly - I will bring your request to the dev team for consideration as future improvements to the tools generating our ToC!

Kind regards,
Stefan
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

Thanks Stefan.