Illustrations disappear from the document opened in the PDF-XChange Editor

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Jensen Head
User

Illustrations disappear from the document opened in the PDF-XChange Editor

Post by Jensen Head »

...but remain visible for some time in the page thumbnails panel. In order for the pictures that suddenly suddenly ceased to be displayed to become visible again, I need to close the document and open it again. This repeats every half hour of editing or so.
_
Illustrations disappear from the main screen of PDF-XChange Editor.png
_
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TAlIv_0GtvFgR876fkeWCoKEp-oWU9Zr/view
PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version: 9.4, build 363.0 (Enhanced OCR) (Aug 15 2022; 14:10:15)

Upd. At some point, some of the pictures disappeared again, almost all of them. I thought it was just a visual bug
_
2022-09-29_13-15-35.png
_
I closed the document, saving it, but when I opened it again, the pictures did not appear. They have been removed without trace. Several hours of work was wasted.

Upd 2. When I reopened the document, the illustrations reappeared, almost all of them. It's some kind of black magic.
Last edited by Jensen Head on Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Illustrations in a document disappear from the main screen of the PDF-XChange Editor

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Jensen Head,

Are you using build 364 or an older one?
Can you please e-mail support@tracker-software with a copy of the affected file?

Kind regards,
Stefan
Jensen Head
User

Re: Illustrations in a document disappear from the main screen of the PDF-XChange Editor

Post by Jensen Head »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:18 amAre you using build 364 or an older one?
PDF-XChange Editor Plus 9.4, build 363.0 (Enhanced OCR) (Aug 15 2022; 14:10:15)
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:18 amAre you using build 364 or an older one?Can you please e-mail support@tracker-software with a copy of the affected file?
mankent.kz/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Instruktsiya-po-SDL-TRADOS-studio-2021_RU.pdf
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI Jensen Head,

this is strange to say the least. I can see both your documents with content. I know it's a small thing, and I don't know that it will help, but we do have a new build available. I would ask you to update to 9.4.364.0 and keep an eye on this. We are working on improving the document recovery so that should this happen in future we hope to be able tyo handle it better regards not losing your work, but why it happened in the first place is a mystery to me and sisnce you report all is now "back to normal" I don't know what to suggest we do to investigate.

Am I correct iin understanding that after the pages returned to showing the content, it was without some changes you made?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Same:
_
2022-11-09_12-04-05.png
_
PDF-XChange Editor Plus 9.4, build 364.0 (Enhanced OCR) (Sep 27 2022; 15:16:38)
I saved the document and closed it. And tried to open it in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2022.002.20212 x64:
_
2022-11-09_12-08-23.png
Adobe Acrobat. An error exists on this page. Acrobat may not display the page correctly. Please contact the person who created the PDF document to correct the problem.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Jensen Head

I can't seem to reproduce the earlier issue with content disappearing, nor the issue with Adobe giving an error when I open this file in it. All that I can posit from this is, seeing that a Mac version of adobe created the original file, there may be something in it that the older version of Acrobat PRO you are using does not seem to like.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Screenshot_2022-11-21_13-45-28.png
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC — left, PDF-XChange Editor Plus 9.4 — right.

I cut and cropped several pages in the PDF-XChange Editor, saw that some of the content was not displayed, canceled all the changes made, and took a screenshot.
MaxPiezo7+_manual_en_2021. Mod.pdf — https://drive.google.com/file/d/1koMThEOmq9yKwTR_vBXrTG9NBJtCkw7F/view
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Jensen Head

This may seem unrelated, but could I ask you to try pressing Ctrl+Shift+6 in the editor, to toggle our "accessibility override" on and off? I have been doing some further testing, and the sections in the screenshots you have provided seem to reliably disappear in the editor when I have accessibility overrides enabled, and specifically have the option to change text color disabled:
image.png
image(1).png
Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

PDF-XChange Editor Plus 9.5, build 365.0 (Enhanced OCR) (Nov 28 2022; 16:25:46) — the problem is still present. The document and two videos of its scrolling — https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QnqCeD1S1n04TNmkuSQsNrZv40fCrRnq

Perhaps it has something to do with the monitor going into power saving mode / screen saver / video card driver / its interaction with the application or something similar. Because before turning off the image on the monitor (before the break in work), I did not see any artifacts. But after returning to work, in the first fraction of a second, I seemed to see the document in the correct form. But after a second, the document was displayed in the form in which it is shown on the video.

I closed the document, undoing all changes, reopened it, and the document displayed correctly.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:10 pmThis may seem unrelated, but could I ask you to try pressing Ctrl+Shift+6 in the editor, to toggle our "accessibility override" on and off? I have been doing some further testing, and the sections in the screenshots you have provided seem to reliably disappear in the editor when I have accessibility overrides enabled, and specifically have the option to change text color disabled
I have "Accessibility Options" / "Override Document Colors" turned off (accordingly, all fields on this tab, except for "Cursors" / "Cursors Size", are blocked from changing), never used it. Unfortunately, when the bug resurfaced, I forgot to check to turn this setting on and off.

Similar to your advice was offered in the topic "Issues with missing images in PDF" https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/issues-with-missing-images-in-pdf/td-p/9835258 — and it has helped several users.

Upd. While looking for a solution to this problem, I came across the topic "Images embedded in PDF files disappearing" https://github.com/mozilla/pdf.js/issues/5016 in the pdf.js issue tracker. I don't know how applicable this is to your editor, but the symptoms are pretty similar.

+ "Pdf files go blank overtime if left idle" https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/jbjsj5/pdf_files_go_blank_overtime_if_left_idle/ — not a single answer.

It is also possible that there is a problem with the handling of transparent areas. If this is the case, I don't know how to deal with this in the case of editing a "live" document.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Illustrations disappear from the document opened in the PDF-XChange Editor

Hello, Jensen Head

To date, the only time we have seen consistent content disappearing reliably after a random time delay, is when the someone has installed a version of the software which was acquired from a third party. Typically, this indicates that the files within our installer were tampered with before you acquired the installer itself.

All of our resellers, and any third parties legally offering functions to download our software have been explicitly informed that they should only ever offer a direct link to the download from our official website, never host their own, but many choose not to adhere to that. As such, all I can suggest here is a complete reinstallation of our software. First uninstalling via the windows programs and features menu, then restarting, and then ensuring that you have run the latest installer manually, directly from our website/your account page.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:37 pmTo date, the only time we have seen consistent content disappearing reliably after a random time delay, is when the someone has installed a version of the software which was acquired from a third party. Typically, this indicates that the files within our installer were tampered with before you acquired the installer itself.
8.0.339.0 — Fixed an issue with content disappearing after some time after content modification.
8.0.337.0 — Fixed issue which may cause disappearing of part of the page content after editing in some circumstances.
3.0.306.1 — Resolved issue with possible page content disappearing when saving after the page content has been modified.
Seems like you've tried to fix bugs in pirated copies of your app before? Or do those disappearances have nothing to do with the disappearances in the current versions described in the first post of this thread?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

We can't/don't fix pirated copies, no. There is no way we could even do that, they would need to send us their pirated version and work with us. Not so likely...

You have a legitimate version though, do you not? Even without a license you would not expect to see that kind of thing where the content goes missing.

I may be missing something key here. Are you still experiencing this after the clean install from our official installers?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com