Request to make the (Ctrl+Shift+F) search sidebar/pane remember its last search results

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

JimmyD
User

Request to make the (Ctrl+Shift+F) search sidebar/pane remember its last search results

Post by JimmyD »

I'd like to request an improvement to make the (Ctrl+Shift+F) search sidebar/pane remember its last search results, after it's been collapsed and reopened again, just like in most other apps, like Foxit.

Thanks in advance.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Request to make the (Ctrl+Shift+F) search sidebar/pane remember its last search results

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, JimmyD

The Advanced search criteria will be remembered, it is only the simply search which clears the field, expecting you to begin typing again immediately after openign the pane. Alternatively, when you open the search pane and are using the simple search, the down arrow will autofill the previous search (and cycle through older searches).
I hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
JimmyD
User

Re: Request to make the (Ctrl+Shift+F) search sidebar/pane remember its last search results

Post by JimmyD »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:35 pm Hello, JimmyD

The Advanced search criteria will be remembered
I think you misunderstood.

It's the search result that I'd like it to remember, not just the search criteria.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello all,
JimmyD wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:46 am I'd like to request an improvement to make the (Ctrl+Shift+F) search sidebar/pane remember its last search results, after it's been collapsed and reopened again
Interestingly, the search results are even preserved when the PDF file is closed, leaving only the Advanced Search pane open.

Re-opening the file and (...or even only) clicking on one of the search results will then immediately take you to the relevant part of the document.

Generally I believe this suggestion from Jimmy is very good, and I'd like to support it with a +1

Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Jimmy and David,

My apologies for the misunderstanding, I think that can be arranged, but I cannot promise an implementation just yet. With that said, I have created a formal feature request for this item:

RT#6194: FR: Retain search results when Search pane is close and re-opened.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
JimmyD
User

Post by JimmyD »

Thanks, this feature would really help me a lot. Since I often use PDFX in split-screen on my Surface Pro tablet with OneNote on the side, and often need to collapse the pane to see the PDF content, and having to redo the search eats a lot of battery, and manually saving and opening the search results for every search complicates my workflow.