Window when in Full-screen draws outside of monitor on each launch.

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Special
User

Window when in Full-screen draws outside of monitor on each launch.

Post by Special »

See gif for a better idea of what I'm talking about.

When launching the program, as you can see from the gif it loads off-screen then shifts downwards to fit the monitor, this is pretty jarring every time it happens, and this never used to be the case, I think it started with v360, but I don't have that anymore to confirm, definitely happens with v361 though and was fine on v359.
pdf-change.gif
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Window when in Full-screen draws outside of monitor on each launch.

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Special,

I've never seen that before I will admit.

It's a bit hard to tell from the cropped screen you sent, but if you resize the Window manually, and close the Editor with it in that state, it should "remember" that when it starts again. Does it do that or does it revert to this behaviour no matter what state of affairs the windows is in when you close the Editor?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Special
User

Post by Special »

When I close the program in a windowed state, it reopens perfectly in that windowed state it was close in, but if I full-screen it, then close it, it reopens as full-screen (as it should) but that shifting happens with the top of the window, it looks (to me) like it "draws" outside of my monitor and is being forced down each time.

I run duel monitors if that matters, and the Editor runs on my second one, but they are the same monitor, both 1920x1200, and Windows DPI is 125% I think.

EDIT: I made another (and bad) gif of me closing and reopening the Editor it in a "windowed" state, works as expected and looks fine to me doing it this way.
123.gif
EDIT 2: Also I wanted to note that if I make the window too big, as in there's not enough gap around it from the edges of my screen, and close it, it will reopen as a window again (as it should) but slightly over on my primary monitor. I cannot make a gif of this one or else it would be 50MB's for 2 seconds. So as a full-screen it shifts downwards, If I close it as a window with a few cm gap it works fine, but if I close it as a Window that would practically pass a a full-screen look, it will reopen on my other monitor slightly.

The green line is roughly where my monitor ends and the primary start, so it looks like this when I close the program as a window but don't leave much of a gap.
2022-05-09_14-32-08111111111.jpg
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi special,

I asked the devs about this and we are wondering what version of Windows this is happening on.

If you type winver into a run box, or at the start menus it should find the command and it will tell you something like this:
image.png
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Special
User

Post by Special »

Exactly that.
2022-05-09_16-48-08.png
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that special,

I need to consult the dev who asked for this info and will get back to you.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Special
User

Post by Special »

Decided to waste half my morning to go back to v359 just to show and prove things were working correctly then.

359 fullscreen - open, close, open, close, etc. It does not start off screen, looks perfect.
Animation59.gif

And how it looks when I close and open the program as a window with not much of a gap (it basically aligns correctly on my second monitor and doesn't spill over.
2022-05-10_14-28-27.jpg
So something f'ed from 359 to 361, probably some garbage you did to cater to the Windows 11 crowd, making needless things all round, big button tablet-like, flat, dumb, etc.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hmmm,

we'll keep trying, we have not been able to reproduce this yet...

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Special
User

Post by Special »

Any update on this? This is still an issue, even with a clean install and fresh settings. If I had to guess, its cause is from some change you guys have made between v359-361 to either the GUI (in general) on how it loads/draws, or the overly-large (because they look larger then my other window's ones on various programs) window buttons (Minimize, Restore, Close) and how those draw.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi special,

I am afraid I didn't follow through on this question. My apologies. Let me see what they had to say and get back to you here today.

:oops:
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi Special.
EDIT 2: Also I wanted to note that if I make the window too big, as in there's not enough gap around it from the edges of my screen, and close it, it will reopen as a window again (as it should) but slightly over on my primary monitor.
After many attempts we reproduced it and try to fix it in the upcoming build.
When launching the program, as you can see from the gif it loads off-screen then shifts downwards to fit the monitor, this is pretty jarring every time it happens
We reproduced it also and will try to fix it soon too..

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Special
User

Post by Special »

Glad you found it! Can I ask why this happened? What was the technical reason?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Special

I am afraid that I don't have those details, The dev team is very busy of late, and will are focused on other tasks now that this has been handled.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Special
User

Post by Special »

I saw the changelog hoping it was hopeful for a fix here, but it is not unfortunately.

Now the editor always opens in a "windowed" state even if I close it when "full-screened", so it doesn't remember that.

But if there is a PDF currently open in the editor, full-screened, and I close the editor, it will reopen full-screen with the remembered PDF, but the draw bug from about is still an issue.

So Editor no longer opens "fresh" maximized now, always windowed. If there's a PDF open it will remember it's closed state .ie maximized, but the draw bug still happens.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Special,

yes, we are aware of the issue in yesterday's build about not opening in maximized for some people. We have reproduced it here and will fix that in a release very soon.

Regarding the original complaint, we are still unable to reproduce this and do not have a fix I am afraid. You are the only one to have reported it and without being able to reproduce it we cannot fix it.

You have the latest graphics drivers for your video hardware, right?

We do have a fix for the later part where there was some overhang across monitors. That should be fixed in the next build.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke