9.1.356.0 Any info appreciated on this showstopping "End of Data reached" error

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

Can anyone provide any info that might help me workaround this showstopping issue?

I have a test file set (13 files, 2.2Mb) and a user tool where run fails with this error.
image.png
image.png (9.94 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
This error is undocumented, and those little warning buttons are non-responsive.

The outcomes changes to success if I adjust almost anything of the file set or tool - ranging from order of input files to even an action's "[x] Show setup dialog when running" ! So it seems there's something seriously low-level and unstable at fault here. But unfortunately when I return to the production files set, the fail always returns.

I've checked obvious candidate causes. The machine has plenty of free disc space, memory etc. and shows no mystery fails on other programs. I've seen no other PDF-Tools tool show this issue.

If anyone has experience of this fail and found a workaround, it would be most helpful to hear. Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: 9.1.356.0 Any info appreciated on this showstopping "End of Data reached" error

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, chrisjj

Thank you for the report, Could I ask you to "export" the tool you are using and send it to us for investigation, if changing some of the settings in use has an impact, maybe there is a conflict that needs to be accounted for. If your custom tool contains sensitive information, you can email it to us directly instead of posting here. Please include a link to this topic in that email. Our email address is support@pdf-xchange.com

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
chrisjj
User

Re: 9.1.356.0 Any info appreciated on this showstopping "End of Data reached" error

Post by chrisjj »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:21 am you can email it to us directly instead of posting here. Please include a link to this topic in that email. Our email address is support@pdf-xchange.com
Doing now. Thanks Daniel.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, chrisjj

Thank you for sending the tool file over, I have run a few tests so far with no issues, so I suspect that it may be something specific to one of the documents you are using in this group. Could I ask you to also send over a copy of that bundle of documents, so we can test with them as well?

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:01 pm I suspect that it may be something specific to one of the documents you are using in this group.
My thought too. But I was prevented from IDing which by the fact exclusion of any one dismisses the fail.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:01 pmCould I ask you to also send over a copy of that bundle of documents, so we can test with them as well?
Sure. I have emailed them to support@pdf-xchange.com, Subject "9.1.356.0 Any info appreciated on this showstopping "End of Data reached" error"

Meanwhile, can you give me any info on what "End of Data reached" actually signifies?

Also note that the path shown in the error message:
image.png
is to a file that does not exist in the input - and should not exist in the output. This path is the input document folder path plus what looks like a default output document filename - despite that different is a) specified https://i.imgur.com/U4u8aNb.png and b) upon success with a reduced input set, is delivered. I hope this is not a sign the program is attempting e.g. a temp file in the input folder :( . Perhaps instead it is a red herring e.g. an error message generation fault.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, chrisjj

I am copying a portion of my last reply via email into the forums in case any other users encounter this same issue.

I have managed to reproduce this in house with our Development team when using your files, but only temporarily, the issue disappeared after the first few test runs. In any case, now we know it can be reproduced, and we have the original files to do so with. Intermittent issues like this are very difficult to fully resolve, but we are working on a solution. (The ticket number for this item is as follows)

RT#5684: End of Data Reached when tools saves some files

As for the "End of Data Reached" error. That generally would indicate that the file which is trying to be opened is an incomplete PDF file, in the fact that all PDF documents are supposed to have a specific data set indicating the "start" and "end" of the document. When we see this error it "should" indicate that a selected input file is corrupt and missing the "end" data set, thus we reach the "end of data" but are cannot display/work with the document because the proper closing procedures are not in place.
In this instance that does not appear to be the case however, as each input file is intact, and works individually, and that the warning appears during the "save" action, not the open action. From what I can tell so far, this error message does appear to be a red herring, and the root of the issue lies elsewhere.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:37 pm I am copying a portion of my last reply via email into the forums in case any other users encounter this same issue.
Excellent move, if I may say so!

And I'll copy from email too:
Further probing here makes me suspect file 2020-11-12b. Another test set has 54 files and succeeds, but when that file is added as #55, I get the fail.

That file is complicit in another PDFT issue, which I've not yet reported. Briefly, if the tool run does succeed with this input file, when the output is viewed in Acrobat X, one of the pages from that input file appears blank and triggers an "Insufficient data for an image" informational dialog box. No mere coincidence, I am sure.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

> we are working on a solution

Note: no solution has been reported here.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Chris,

the ticket is set to status "Resolved" back in 359. It should be working in the current build.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com