comment export additional fields

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

tgollan
User

comment export additional fields

Post by tgollan »

I am doing quantity take-offs and highlighting each item in a drawing to count it. I will use a different pencil colour for different types of equipment.
I notice a few issues that stop pdf exchange editor from being a viable automation tool for this task:
1. If you highlight items in quick succession, they are treated as a single comment.
2. When you export the comments list into CSV format for later tallying up, pdf exchange editor does not provide a column differentiating each colour pencil used

Is it possible to have this improved in future releases?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: comment export additional fields

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi tgollan,

welcome to the Tracker Forums.

Regarding the application of highlights, they should all be discrete. The Pencil Tool has a feature to group rapid consecutive applications but only the pencil tool has it. You should find the highlight tool creates an object for each, regardless of how quickly in succession they are applied. Are we talking about the highlight or pencil tool here?

Regards the CSV, if you select all the highlights of a particular colour you can give them all the same "Subject" property and that will show up in the summary CSV:
CSV_withColours.gif
It gets a result like this:
EXCEL_2byjmhz6HD.png
Does that help?
Attachments
image.png
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
tgollan
User

Post by tgollan »

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Unfortunately I am counting drawn elements and therefore restricted to using the pencil.

I had success with naming the subject field as you showed. It would be handy if this field was defaulted with the pencil style too I.e. "pencil - green marker".

Is there a way to toggle off the auto grouping of the pencil? Even if this is a key press between each line?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi tgollan,

I am pleased to hear you got the Pencil Tool to work as desired with respect to the subject.

Regards the grouping of sequential pencil tool objects, there is a registry hack you can do to change the threshold for grouping these: https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?p=155171&hilit=pencil+grouping#p148833

The lower the value the shorter the time between discrete objects. I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com