[Feature request] Rename file function to separate file name and extension

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

sibojang9
User

[Feature request] Rename file function to separate file name and extension

Post by sibojang9 »

The extension name of PDF is rarely changed over renaming since no one wants to change the file type. I strongly suggest that we separate them to different boxes and focus to the file name by default, which will make renaming much handy. Below is the setting of software XnView MP, which presents an excellent example to follow. Thanks.
snap137.jpg
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: [Feature request] Rename file function to separate file name and extension

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello sibojang9,

I presume that this other tool also allows you to save in several file formats, and by simply changing the file name extension you also force that third party tool to recompress your image in the other file format.

I will pass your suggestion to our devs, but please note that I am only passing it for consideration, and it is not guaranteed that this would be approved or implemented.

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

I don't really see the point of this suggestion.

If you ignore the ".pdf" extension and just enter the new name, the ".pdf" extension will be added by default.
All best,

FringePhil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello PHK,

Ohh, I totally forgot about this! Indeed - you can just directly type the new file name and the .pdf will indeed be appended automatically!
I suspect that the tool from the image in the original post also allowed changing the file format 'on the fly' and that's why it offers the image extension separately, but in any case - with your addition - I also believe that no changes are necessary in the way our file naming dialogues work!

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

8)
All best,

FringePhil
sibojang9
User

Post by sibojang9 »

Thanks for all your input. I dared to touch the ".pdf" in afraid that it will alter the file type and make the file unreadable.

Since you said ".pdf" will be appended automatically in case it has been removed, I agree that no changes are needed.

Lastly, I highly suggest adding "F2" as the keyboard shortcut to change the file name. "F2" is the standard way to do so across various software including Windows 10. Right now, no responses are triggered by pressing "F2" in PDF-Xchange editor. Why don't we follow the standard practice to make this software more handy?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello sibojang9 and all,

Thank you all for the input above, and I also heard from our devs that we would actually make it so that by default only the name is selected and the .pdf extension is not, so when you start typing - by default the extension will remain there:
image.png

As for the F2 key - there are multiple standard as to what most shortcut key combinations should do, and I will suggest to our devs to consider adding F2 as rename, but you can also yourself assign custom keyboard shortcuts:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... nge-Editor

Kind regards,
Stefan
sibojang9
User

Post by sibojang9 »

That is very helpful. I look forward to the next version. Thank you.
igorlima
User

Post by igorlima »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:15 am I also heard from our devs that we would actually make it so that by default only the name is selected and the .pdf extension is not
A good amount of times I just want to copy the name of the file so this will be handy for me! Thank you! I'm also lookin forward to this implementation. :)
Igor
PDF-XChange Editor fan :)
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

I also like this implementation.

I wonder why the ".pdf" extension couldn't simply be left out completely, because nobody would normally rename a PDF file's extension to something else than PDF, let alone from within the PDF application.

Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Sean - Tracker
Site Admin

Post by Sean - Tracker »

Hi David,

This will be up to the developers to decide when they are making this change in the software. Let's see what they do and then take it from there.

Best regards,
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623